• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Samsung Fascinate Pre-Release Thread***

I bought a D2 on Aug.12, if I take it back on the 9th (when this phone is released) ...I will still be within the 30 days ,right? Sorry for the stupid question, but I have never had to return a phone before.

Or, would I be better off to return it now? I paid full retail (cash) so how do they return your money? Do they credit your account? TIA

Idk how it works for paying full retail i would go into a store and ask the verizon people how it would work.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if the dimensions and shape of the Fascinate are identical to the Vibrant?

I can't tell if the bulge at the bottom of the Vibrant (when looking at the phone from the side) is present on the Fascinate.

If the chassis is identical, we could modify the Case-Mate Tough Case for the Vibrant to accommodate the LED flash on the Fascinate (not present on the Vibrant).

Upvote 0
Anyone know if the dimensions and shape of the Fascinate are identical to the Vibrant?

I can't tell if the bulge at the bottom of the Vibrant (when looking at the phone from the side) is present on the Fascinate.

If the chassis is identical, we could modify the Case-Mate Tough Case for the Vibrant to accommodate the LED flash on the Fascinate (not present on the Vibrant).

No they are not the same
fascinate= 4.92x2.53x.39
vibrant= 4.82x2.54x.39

Upvote 0

My local VZW had the dummy Fascinate model in and I held it for a bit. It does not have the hump that the Vibrant has. I had the Droid X for 2 months. It's my opinion that the Fascinate has the best ergonomic design of any Verizon phone at the moment. It felt so good in my hands I was so excited to get this phone Thursday...until I saw that video on donthatethegeek where he tests out the GPS. The look and feel of the Fascinate are wonderful though and what I've been looking for in a phone.

Upvote 0
My local VZW had the dummy Fascinate model in and I held it for a bit. It does not have the hump that the Vibrant has. I had the Droid X for 2 months. It's my opinion that the Fascinate has the best ergonomic design of any Verizon phone at the moment. It felt so good in my hands I was so excited to get this phone Thursday...until I saw that video on donthatethegeek where he tests out the GPS. The look and feel of the Fascinate are wonderful though and what I've been looking for in a phone.

It looks very nice and supposedly there is a fix for the gps over at xda developers the only downside is you have to root which some people do not want to do

Upvote 0
Man I am on pre oder for the Inc. I wish there was more info on this phone as it looks good. I could decide on what my next move would be? Man give us some INFO verizon!!!!!!!!!

As a current Inc owner, and soon-to-be Fascinate owner, I can definitely say the Fascinate fits my needs A LOT better. My Incredible will probably end up on eBay this Friday after I get my Fascinate all set up on Thursday...

HTC's Sense widgets seem to add a lot more functionality and utility than Samsung's TouchWiz ones - but given that's the only real downfall I foresee, and I don't like widgets, it isn't a huge issue.

Samsung's 5MP camera as far as I can tell from some examples as well as pure technology specs, is way better than the Incredible's 8MP camera (which I despise...it is worse than my Blackberry Tour 9630's 3MP camera). Plus, the Incredible's dual-LED flash often over-lights photos. I ended up resorting to an internet-found trick of diffusing the light by sticking a napkin under the cover and over the flashes.

It looks like the Fascinate has far more Bluetooth profile support, that may or may not be an issue for you - it was for my friend who had some issues getting the Incredible to sync up to his car.

The Fascinate will more-than-likely support at least 5 simultaneous touches, just like the other Samsung Galaxy S phones. The Incredible is software limited to 2 simultaneous touches and this DOES interfere with fast typing and quick moving games. I can guarantee if something along the line has caused the Fascinate to also only support 2 simultaneous touches, then I will be returning the phone.

Suffice to say, I am stoked for this Thursday. :):):)

Reactions: OldSmoky
Upvote 0
As a current Inc owner, and soon-to-be Fascinate owner, I can definitely say the Fascinate fits my needs A LOT better. My Incredible will probably end up on eBay this Friday after I get my Fascinate all set up on Thursday...

HTC's Sense widgets seem to add a lot more functionality and utility than Samsung's TouchWiz ones - but given that's the only real downfall I foresee, and I don't like widgets, it isn't a huge issue.

Mines already up on ebay :p

I'm tired of Sense, i'm one of the few probably, and I like TouchWiz from what I used of it off a Vibrant. I found the widgets about as good as Sense, at least contacts and social network widgets.

Upvote 0
mega pixels dont mean crap, i used to sell cameras and trust me its all about the sensor and iso and lens, thats why the iphone camera looks great even at 5 mega pixels

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I wish more people and so called experts recognize that picture quality is way more tham mega pixels. My buddy's iPhone 5mp destroys my Moto Droid 8mp. We took identical indoor pics and the Droid was simply awful while the iPhone was brilliant. Before I buy in Nov (DINC, X, or Fascinate ) I will take a pic and email it for viewing.

I was all set on the perfect phone with the Fascinate and missing Google voice search, google voice (which I do my free texting with) and Google Nav are each individual deal breakers- I have all of this my Droid and will not give them up. Not yet convinced on all of the "just upgrade to Google by adding apps". We'll see in two days. Luckily, I am in no rush and satisfied with the Droid- hate the useless sliding keyboard and thickness but it was the only game in town when I got it- still love all the rest and of course Android OS. I am due in Nov so all questions will be answered by then.

Upvote 0
And you know this how? Seeing how the phone isnt out yet and some of the reviews said it lasted just as long as their d2 and droid X.

all rumors so who knows until the release..

You can say that all you want, and I'm certainly not Anti-Galaxy S by any means, but I don't recommend that anyone expect the Fascinate to perform drastically different than its other variants. You're right, of course. We can't know for sure until it's out, but the one fellow on here that actually has one gave personal testimony to it being between the incredible and the DX.

Then there are tests like this:
Droid X, Droid 2 have best Android battery life | TG Daily

Granted, that's not testing the Fascinate, and it's using a test that is a little anti-AMOLED: lots of mostly white stuff. However, when you're browsing the web on your smartphone, that's what most of the pages will be like! In this test, which is one of the few actually (at least apparently) standardized tests, all of the AMOLED based phones did poorly compared to their LCD based counterparts.

It's the nature of the beast, at least if you're going to do a lot of web browsing. And for talk time, many sites reported 8 hours (or close to it) of solid talk time before draining the Droid X. CNET, for example, got 7.5 hours of talk time on the Droid X, but the Captivate only got 6.2.

"All-Day Battery Life: Compared to the HTC EVO 4G, which ran out of juice after a couple of hours, the Droid X could hold a charge for two days if used normally."

Although I don't know how much weight I would put into a PC World review after reading this at the end:

"And let's not forget the latest iPhone on Verizon rumors. During Steve Jobs' Antennagate press conference, it was revealed that there are Verizon cell towers on Apple's campus. iPhone on Verizon rumors have persisted for more than two years, but this fact almost makes it inevitable. If the iPhone lands on Verizon's network, do any Android handsets stand a chance?"

ROFL!!! :rolleyes:

Back to the DX, Ars also said:

"Excellent battery life is one of the biggest advantages that the Droid X has over the EVO and some other devices. The X can easily last all day under heavy load and gets several days of standby time. Although it is possible to achieve that kind of battery life on the EVO by disabling background syncing and altering various settings, the X requires no such compromises."

I don't think any Super AMOLED is going to be bad, and the picture is sensational. I haven't had the Fascinate in my hands yet, but I have seen the T Mobile and AT&T variants, and I really do like that screen. I just don't think the Fascinate will fare much differently than it's brethren. Time will tell, but I'm gonna go on my gut with this one. I think, however, with Froyo, the Galaxy S variants AND the Droid X will get quite a boost - enough that neither is hindered in usability by having to plug in for the "mid-day recharge".

This is what I read about the Samsung's on the other hand:

"Battery life is tricky on these phones, and we think we know why: Super AMOLED. After fully charging, we let the phones go all night syncing two email accounts connected to both GSM and WiFi and drained about 30 percent from each; in the morning, we set the screens to stay on (30 minute timeout, actually, the max these phones will allow) at automatic brightness and they were both dead within two hours. We think it's possible for a normal human being to eke through a full day, but perhaps not without consciously remembering to not dally with the screen on and to set brightness as low as possible while still being usable."

After all these articles about less RAM, GPS issues, Bing Search and lack of Samsung keyboard, I can't wait until Thursday when I can go to take a look at the phone and play around with it for like 30 minutes.

If I don't like it, I will probably keep my X or get the Incredible.

I'm in your same boat. I get the Droid X tomorrow. I will have a few days to play with it. Then, I can waltz into a Verizon store and give the Fascinate a go. If there are issues I have with the Droid X, and the Fascinate impresses the crap out of me, then I'll do a little switchypoo. The Samsung right now has in its favor, at least from my viewpoint:

1. Better screen
2. Easier to root
3. More ergonomic design
4. Extensive media format playback capabilities (if like the other Galaxy S's)

The Droid X

1. Notification light
2. Better battery life (at least by all current indications)
3. HDMI out (at least for side-loaded videos and photos - more with the $2 app)
4. 4 times the internal memory

I wish more people and so called experts recognize that picture quality is way more tham mega pixels. My buddy's iPhone 5mp destroys my Moto Droid 8mp. We took identical indoor pics and the Droid was simply awful while the iPhone was brilliant. Before I buy in Nov (DINC, X, or Fascinate ) I will take a pic and email it for viewing.

I was all set on the perfect phone with the Fascinate and missing Google voice search, google voice (which I do my free texting with) and Google Nav are each individual deal breakers- I have all of this my Droid and will not give them up. Not yet convinced on all of the "just upgrade to Google by adding apps". We'll see in two days. Luckily, I am in no rush and satisfied with the Droid- hate the useless sliding keyboard and thickness but it was the only game in town when I got it- still love all the rest and of course Android OS. I am due in Nov so all questions will be answered by then.

That's one thing that worries me about the Fascinate, too. It just means we will HAVE to root it to get back to some of our favorite "googely" tools. I'm used to the actual stock google stuff myself. It's quite good. And it would be nice to be able to switch out of Bing without having to root. Fortunately, it should be easy, if the Fascinate is like its siblings.

That there is one thing that might get me to trade. Why oh WHY did they have to limit the internal memory and deal with Bing??? The conspiracy theorist in me really believes Verizon did that stuff to boost their favorite mistress Motorola's sales, or at least not hurt them as badly. I firmly believe that Motorola and Verizon are very much in bed together right now, almost to the extent of Apple/AT&T ... :eek:

What pisses me off the most about both phones is that the iPhone 4 camera still beats the DX and the GS phones badly. Again, I know the Fascinate isn't out yet, but the other Galaxy S phones tested, as well as the Droid X, just don't take as good of images or videos as the iPhone. I don't want an iPhone for sure, but it would sure be nice if someone other than Apple would get a smartphone camera right, especially freaking Samsung that makes bajillions of cameras.... grrr!

Reactions: jroc and OldSmoky
Upvote 0
For some reason I checked the Verizon site when I was surfing the forums last night around 3 a.m. and they had the Fascinate under new phones and devices > new products.

The page was really rough with no pricing and was obviously in the design phase (live no less :D). But it appears they are getting it ready to go on the site very soon.

Upvote 0
And per the comments above on the extended battery, I also read someone that has access to the phone confirmed that the 2200mh battery fits in the case without the need for an new ugly incredible like back cover. It seemed to be reliable, so I believe it to be true.

The screen on the Droid x doesn't even come close to the quality of this screen. That is my biggest issue with the Droid x. Along with the hump on the back (really dislike that) and the physical buttons on the bottom for home and all of that felt cheap and loose to me. I had the original Droid and another Motorola before that one. Can't say I'm a huge Motorola fan anymore. As for the incredible, that is what I have now and it's a great phone. BUT, it is constructed very cheaply. It feels like I'm going to break the back casing every time I have to pull it off to get to the battery or SD card. I don't think I could get away with dropping that one like I have with past phones.

Upvote 0
in my hands for personal use since the 2nd and aside from the bs Bing search engine, I love this phone. The battery is a lot better than my Incredible ever was as is the camera. The battery was at 15% remaining after listening to Pandora through Bluetooth for almost 5 1/2 hours. During this time I received and sent probably 80-90 emails and texts.

My phone has been unplugged since 5:50 pacific time and my battery is at 53% remaining. So far I played Slacker Radio for and hour and ten minutes through my bluetooth headset and used the GPS tracking program "SportyPal" to track my run. Wi-fi is on, as well as bluetooth and GPS. Used about 25 minutes of calls, 15 emails and 30 or so texts. I have been using the built-in Task killer widget, as well as advanced task killer (which I used on my Inc. also.

Signal reception, for me at least, is better than it ever was on my Incredible. I don't have the random disconnects with Pandora or Slacker that I did with the Inc. GPS hasn't been an issue either. Using the same program on my Incr. when running, yielded the same results as far a distance traveled and approx. speed.

The only thing about the phone I don't like so far is the "car cradle" application uses Bing for everything except for Navigation. VZ Navigator is the preset navigation option with no way to change either of them. :mad:

Reactions: howdy and tystevens
Upvote 0
Thanks for the information Lucky Guy. Seems there have been mixed reviews on the GPS, glad to hear you have had good luck with it.

Does anyone know if you will be able to change the preset navigation once rooted? Would think that somebody might be able to come up with something to do this.

If anyone does have GPS issues, just take the phone back for a replacement. It sounds like at least some of them work correctly. Rooting and applying the GPS fix would do it pretty easily as well. Those fixes are out on Galaxy S now, so I'm assuming it will be out very soon on the Fascinate (if the same fix doesn't do it).

The only thing about the phone I don't like so far is the "car cradle" application uses Bing for everything except for Navigation. VZ Navigator is the preset navigation option with no way to change either of them. :mad:

Upvote 0
in my hands for personal use since the 2nd and aside from the bs Bing search engine, I love this phone. The battery is a lot better than my Incredible ever was as is the camera. The battery was at 15% remaining after listening to Pandora through Bluetooth for almost 5 1/2 hours. During this time I received and sent probably 80-90 emails and texts.

My phone has been unplugged since 5:50 pacific time and my battery is at 53% remaining. So far I played Slacker Radio for and hour and ten minutes through my bluetooth headset and used the GPS tracking program "SportyPal" to track my run. Wi-fi is on, as well as bluetooth and GPS. Used about 25 minutes of calls, 15 emails and 30 or so texts. I have been using the built-in Task killer widget, as well as advanced task killer (which I used on my Inc. also.

Signal reception, for me at least, is better than it ever was on my Incredible. I don't have the random disconnects with Pandora or Slacker that I did with the Inc. GPS hasn't been an issue either. Using the same program on my Incr. when running, yielded the same results as far a distance traveled and approx. speed.

Did you guys read that- no way to change car navigate from VZW:mad:. Luckily I never go there, I simply voice in my google browser widget "Navigate to nearest gas station" and voila. I will wait to see if you really can de bing it and retain all of the google stuff via apps. I am skeptical. Cnet says you can't but what do they know and of course they act as if rooting does not exist. Only another day to find out. The GPS signal is a deal breaker too if it is bad. I rely on my D1 for all navigation and it is superb. This fascinate has to be as good.

Upvote 0
Did you guys read that- no way to change car navigate from VZW:mad:. Luckily I never go there, I simply voice in my google browser widget "Navigate to nearest gas station" and voila. I will wait to see if you really can de bing it and retain all of the google stuff via apps. I am skeptical. Cnet says you can't but what do they know and of course they act as if rooting does not exist. Only another day to find out. The GPS signal is a deal breaker too if it is bad. I rely on my D1 for all navigation and it is superb. This fascinate has to be as good.

That brings up another issue Kings. the spyglass to activate all of the voice search/navigations option only use Bing. You have to get Google Maps Nav. from the market but even then, the voice options only work from within the app itself. I'm sure once its out and root is available the problem will cease to be a problem at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones