• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Samsung Fascinate Pre-Release Thread***

Found it interesting that the Fascinate Link on the site below was not active as of last Friday but today when i checked it, it was active. It does not provide a lot of information but that's still another step in the right direction.

Samsung Galaxy S

I should probably ask sund0wn, but I'm seeing conflicting reports on:

RAM
ROM

Some sources are saying 384 MB (or at least less than 512 MB) and others have said 512 MB.

I think SunDown confirmed 384 RAM on a link posted above. I admit this number seems strange to me as all the other versions of this phone list 512 for RAM.

I am going to buy one at retail price and try it for a couple of weeks before I decide to sell my X or not. I just love the screen on this and plus I am a phone whore. yes I have issues lol.

The Bing issue I believe can be solved if the phone can be rooted. I find it hard to believe that Google didn't hardwire their stuff into the Android system. That makes no sense.

For me, I'm not happy about the 5mp cam. On the Inc I had, that 8mp cam took the best photos I have ever seen outside of a professional camera. simple awesome and that's one feature of the Inc I will miss, but not the whole dying part after 5 days.

Megapixels aren't really the deciding factor on picture quality. It depends much more on the camera lens and the software. Megapixels just determine how large the pictures are, and in turn how much space each picture takes up.

Megapixels aren't really the deciding factor on picture quality. It depends much more on the camera lens and the software. Megapixels just determine how large the pictures are, and in turn how much space each picture takes up.

So true. Have you seen the pictures that the Vibrant and Captivate take with their 5MP cameras? They look really great.

So true. Have you seen the pictures that the Vibrant and Captivate take with their 5MP cameras? They look really great.

Yeah my friend and my girlfriend both have captivates and i have such phone envy! The pictures/videos are amazing quality and the screen is gorgeous, not to mention the proc and gpu! Im soo jealous

The 512 is rOm - Read Only Memory
The 384 is rAm - Random Access Memory
The 2GB is flash and used for storage

These are 3 different types of memory, used for different purposes. Maybe I'm missing something. Can you repost the XDA attachment here? Hopefully its just because there is less RAM available as some is already in use, but all available documents clearly state that this is the amount of RAM. VZW seems to have handicapped this phone intentionally to help the droid line - though I think its still a better phone after root and re-googlization.

ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg

Here you go.

you know what either way it does not matter.
Android memory management is VERY good.
When in the world would you be running 10 programs at the same time that takes up 50M of ram each?
As long as that does not happen it's fine. This is not your Windows Mobile or Windows XP/VIsta.

If i'm not mistaken, the pic above comes from a captivate and was posted at android central. I read there, and earlier in the year, that 2.1 isn't able to read more than 326 or whatever and Froyo fixes that. So in essence they all have the same amount, and the Fascinate isn't any different. At least that's what I gather.

The 512 is rOm - Read Only Memory
The 384 is rAm - Random Access Memory
The 2GB is flash and used for storage

These are 3 different types of memory, used for different purposes. Maybe I'm missing something. Can you repost the XDA attachment here? Hopefully its just because there is less RAM available as some is already in use, but all available documents clearly state that this is the amount of RAM. VZW seems to have handicapped this phone intentionally to help the droid line - though I think its still a better phone after root and re-googlization.

Thanks. So please clear this up for me. The 2GB, is that storage available for app storage? Has it been confirmed either way? I hope it is. I have the original Droid and have lots of apps and need more memory for apps.

With 2.2 you can store all apps in SD card. But even with 2.1 and earlier, most apps are less than 1MB and at most 5MB, where the packages always get a choice of being installed in your SD card. I think apps to SD is useful but only if you have over 1000 apps.

not true my friend, apps must be enabled by the dev to be stored on the sd card. i am running 2.2 and i have plenty of apps that are not able to be sent to sd card. some of them are hefty like really nice wallpapers that run into the 50+mb range. they can add up if you like to keep things around, and why should you not be able to keep stuff if you want. 2gb on board at this stage of the game is a slap in the face to the customer and a deal breaker for me.

FFC should also be the standard for a high end phone like this. so what if the network does not support it yet. keep the video conferencing capability locked up till LTE and 4G are up and running, then you can have the feature.

the suggestions that VSW will not market a FFC phone to not compete with he coming Icrap is insulting if it is true. i have always stayed with big red for the reliable netwrk, but if they keep shating me as the customer i might have to pick up a feature phone to anchor my account to till the contract dies while i try out some other options. i know plenty of people happy on other networks and their phones are nicer than my options. the 1% of the time i am in areas that only VZW works, i can let it go to voicmail.

not true my friend, apps must be enabled by the dev to be stored on the sd card. i am running 2.2 and i have plenty of apps that are not able to be sent to sd card. some of them are hefty like really nice wallpapers that run into the 50+mb range. they can add up if you like to keep things around, and why should you not be able to keep stuff if you want. 2gb on board at this stage of the game is a slap in the face to the customer and a deal breaker for me.

FFC should also be the standard for a high end phone like this. so what if the network does not support it yet. keep the video conferencing capability locked up till LTE and 4G are up and running, then you can have the feature.

the suggestions that VSW will not market a FFC phone to not compete with he coming Icrap is insulting if it is true. i have always stayed with big red for the reliable netwrk, but if they keep shating me as the customer i might have to pick up a feature phone to anchor my account to till the contract dies while i try out some other options. i know plenty of people happy on other networks and their phones are nicer than my options. the 1% of the time i am in areas that only VZW works, i can let it go to voicmail.

Most apps are <1MB. Most apps that have media files or packages allow you to store them in SD even before 2.2 You can keep whatever stuff you want but don't complain that you run out of space when you are keeping all that. This is a cell phone not your 100TeraByte harddrive.
It is pretty diffcult to use voice and data on 3G because of latency. That is one main reason CDMA carriers don't have any FFC phone (sprint does 4G as video and voice on the regular network)

^^ point is what. did you not read the part of my post that says some of the apps are larger than others, and some of those are not capable of storing to sd? bottom line, the rest of the pack is offering more, why shaft your customer? ya, we have all been schooled on the inability for CDMA to support voice and data AKA video conf, but did i not say let the phone have the capability for it since it is not so far away and just take it live when the time comes.

excellent reply though. very on point and informative.

^^ point is what. did you not read the part of my post that says some of the apps are larger than others, and some of those are not capable of storing to sd? bottom line, the rest of the pack is offering more, why shaft your customer? ya, we have all been schooled on the inability for CDMA to support voice and data AKA video conf, but did i not say let the phone have the capability for it since it is not so far away and just take it live when the time comes.

I am not sure if I missed your sarcasm at the end or not.

Don't quote me on this but I think CDMA chip is bigger than a GSM chip.
I "heard" that is why Sprint decided to go with a slider so they can put a 4G chip and all that.

Let LTE come and we will all be happy
-We'll probably find something else to complain about like why does it not do my laundry-

the reason they don't do that is because it would cost way too much to make the phone both LTE and CDMA. and that would, for the most part be a waste of money for them cause even when the LTE is released it will only be in a few markets so only a small percentage of people will be able to use it.
they could have put a FFC on the phone but it would serve no purpose on a CDMA network unless people were really self-absorbed and only wanted to take pictures of themselves.

the reason they don't do that is because it would cost way too much to make the phone both LTE and CDMA. and that would, for the most part be a waste of money for them cause even when the LTE is released it will only be in a few markets so only a small percentage of people will be able to use it.
they could have put a FFC on the phone but it would serve no purpose on a CDMA network unless people were really self-absorbed and only wanted to take pictures of themselves.

I don't want or need a FFC, but it could still be used over WiFi...

So Bing just doesn't work? Or it doesn't work as well as Google does?

Does anyone know the official measurements? I thought I saw it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now...ugh. TIA
Size:4.92H x 2.53W x 0.39D
Screen Size:4.0"
Weight:4.16 oz\

I forgot I started this thread when they first talked about it. I have the phone in my hands right now and honestly guys im not impressed. I was gonna post a Official release thread, then realized I had this.

First off, this phone SCREAMS I wanna be a i-phone. It almost looks identical, just a bit bigger. And the app drawer is the exact same. All app icons are very colorful and bright(which is nice), but they look identical to i-phone.
A 5mp camera might as well be a 2mp camera, while it does take nice shots, 8mp+ is a must on smartphones now!

Screen and touch is very responsive. Bing is lame and terrible. One upside ive seen, is that it has a built in app for task manager, which I cant find on the market, so its just for this phone. The phone doesnt seem to mysteriously open apps which is cool. I left it in my store unplugged overnight at 70% battery, got to work this morning and it was still on, at 15% so decent standby. The lock/unlock pattern is cheesey.

No flash player, or at least not the newest version.

Overall ide say theres no reason to get this phone really. Some will post things about why, but when it comes down to it, "the Snapdragon eats the Hummingbird"

I personally will be selling it as a "starter droid" much like i sell the LG Ally.

megapixels don't matter honestly, they're just numbers they really don't help the picture quality that much, it's the lens that does.

And "the snapdragon does not eat the hummingbird" the hummingbird is the best SoC on the smartphone market right now.

Back
Top Bottom