• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Samsung Fascinate Pre-Release Thread***

megapixels don't matter honestly, they're just numbers they really don't help the picture quality that much, it's the lens that does.

And "the snapdragon does not eat the hummingbird" the hummingbird is the best SoC on the smartphone market right now.
So my LG8300's 2mp camera and my DInc's 8mp is only different because of a lense?

And the last part was just for fun because it was a real life food chain type deal. The hummingbird is runnng quite nicely.

However, theres still no reason to get this phone.

Upvote 0
I'm not so worried about the icons and the way Samsung made it look. If I end up getting the phone I would load LauncherPro and use my own icons anyway.

Flash won't be on there until Froyo is pushed in an OTA update.

Size:4.92H x 2.53W x 0.39D
Screen Size:4.0"
Weight:4.16 oz\

I forgot I started this thread when they first talked about it. I have the phone in my hands right now and honestly guys im not impressed. I was gonna post a Official release thread, then realized I had this.

First off, this phone SCREAMS I wanna be a i-phone. It almost looks identical, just a bit bigger. And the app drawer is the exact same. All app icons are very colorful and bright(which is nice), but they look identical to i-phone.
A 5mp camera might as well be a 2mp camera, while it does take nice shots, 8mp+ is a must on smartphones now!

Screen and touch is very responsive. Bing is lame and terrible. One upside ive seen, is that it has a built in app for task manager, which I cant find on the market, so its just for this phone. The phone doesnt seem to mysteriously open apps which is cool. I left it in my store unplugged overnight at 70% battery, got to work this morning and it was still on, at 15% so decent standby. The lock/unlock pattern is cheesey.

No flash player, or at least not the newest version.

Overall ide say theres no reason to get this phone really. Some will post things about why, but when it comes down to it, "the Snapdragon eats the Hummingbird"

I personally will be selling it as a "starter droid" much like i sell the LG Ally.

Upvote 0
So my LG8300's 2mp camera and my DInc's 8mp is only different because of a lense?

Yeah, I believe it's mostly the lens that makes the quality better AFAIK but don't quote me on it lol

And the last part was just for fun because it was a real life food chain type deal. The hummingbird is runnng quite nicely.

oh, I thought you were being serious lol

However, theres still no reason to get this phone.

There's lots of great reasons to get it. I for one am getting for sexy super amoled screen, best soc atm, and the unlocked bootloader for custom roms/root. And I'm sure there are other reasons why people are getting this over the incredible and the x as well.

Upvote 0
When it comes to 8MP vs. 5MP, if all else is equal, then yes, 8MP is better. However, all else is NOT equal. Let's compare the 5MP on the Fascinate to the 8MP on my Incredible.

Photos can be larger on the Incredible, but every indication has been that actual photo quality is superior on the Fascinate. As for video, my Incredible records 800x480 at a framerate that varies from 15-30fps depending on the lighting. When I install 2.2, it will do 720p, but how well? The 5MP on the Galaxy S series does 720P @ 30fps.

Now, the framerate issues may be SOC related. The picture quality may be software (as the aperture on the Incredible is actually larger). HTC isn't known for their camera quality. But I will say this, a 3.1 MP Sony Cybershot will kill any 8MP phone camera. So no, don't ever judge a phone camera for it's "MPs."

Reactions: wonsae
Upvote 0
8 MP is not "better."

"Better" is not a metric. "Better" needs to be defined.

Larger image for "better" cropping? Sure.

Higher quality image? Not necessarily. In fact, if the sensor size is the same (most likely is), we know from digital cameras that the more pixels you squeeze out of the same size sensor, the more digital noise you have to deal with.

Reactions: SirKronan
Upvote 0
8 MP is not "better."

"Better" is not a metric. "Better" needs to be defined.

Larger image for "better" cropping? Sure.

Higher quality image? Not necessarily. In fact, if the sensor size is the same (most likely is), we know from digital cameras that the more pixels you squeeze out of the same size sensor, the more digital noise you have to deal with.

True dat.

Can't wait to play with this phone in a store....

Upvote 0
iv been using the fascinate now for 2 days and its very nice the screen is amazing, and battery life isnt too bad so get thru a day and have 30% left.on my dinc id have less than 10% and on my droid x id have about 20%left. i have 3 email accs, stream internet radio and watch tv shows. camera is comparable to my DINC, phone is snappy and internet is simalar to my dinc for speed. my only complaint so far is the bing maps and search on the phone. i hate bing and dont want to use it i wish without having to root the phone i could remove it. iv installed google maps it pulls up fine. bt for some reason when you go to navigate it pulls it up on the map bt will not give nav directions. so im guessing it may have the gps issue the other samsungs have. so far this is my only complaint

Upvote 0
iv been using the fascinate now for 2 days and its very nice the screen is amazing, and battery life isnt too bad so get thru a day and have 30% left.on my dinc id have less than 10% and on my droid x id have about 20%left. i have 3 email accs, stream internet radio and watch tv shows. camera is comparable to my DINC, phone is snappy and internet is simalar to my dinc for speed. my only complaint so far is the bing maps and search on the phone. i hate bing and dont want to use it i wish without having to root the phone i could remove it. iv installed google maps it pulls up fine. bt for some reason when you go to navigate it pulls it up on the map bt will not give nav directions. so im guessing it may have the gps issue the other samsungs have. so far this is my only complaint

What is your usage that gives you 30% battery left at the end of the day? Can you define some parameters for us?

1) BT - ON/OFF?
2) GPS - ON/OFF?
3) WiFi or 3G - ON/OFF?
4) Total talk time?
5) Total browsing time (internet) ?
6) Total SMS/MMS sent?
8) # pictures taken?

Would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Upvote 0
What is your usage that gives you 30% battery left at the end of the day? Can you define some parameters for us?

1) BT - ON/OFF?
2) GPS - ON/OFF?
3) WiFi or 3G - ON/OFF?
4) Total talk time?
5) Total browsing time (internet) ?
6) Total SMS/MMS sent?
8) # pictures taken?

Would really appreciate it. Thanks!
bt on
gps off 3g only
total talk time 1-2 hrs
internet use 30-60 min
sms.mms 100ish
pics taken 2-3 day
instant message- 10-25 messages
stream sirius xm 45-60min
jetflix watching tv shows 45 min
play world war all day checking game every half hour
market browsing- 30min or less
3 email accounts avg 5-15 emails a day
thats pretty much how i use my phone on a daily basis
wifi off just

Upvote 0
One of then hands on videos i was watching cant remember which one just remember the person saying something about it so we will see i mean he could very well be wrong about that

Unless the shape of the battery is different, I can't readily believe that. If true, that would be SWEET.

50% more battery life? Sign me up!

Now, to score a 16 GB Class 6 card for under $50...

:)

Upvote 0
Unless the shape of the battery is different, I can't readily believe that. If true, that would be SWEET.

Well there are already extended batteries out for the inc and that which are the same size as the original battery. Do an internet search for slim extended batteries. Not saying they will have one right away for the fascinate

Upvote 0
Well there are already extended batteries out for the inc and that which are the same size as the original battery. Do an internet search for slim extended batteries. Not saying they will have one right away for the fascinate

Yeah, I know, but the consensus is that those batteries aren't exactly that much better than stock. I know because I have the Incredible and have contacted members with these slim extended batteries.

Upvote 0

Buy it quick! That's a heck of a sale. I think I'll snag one at that price ....

Newegg.com - RiDATA Lightning Series 16GB Micro SDHC (MicroSD) Flash Card w/2 Adapters (SD/Mini SD/Mini SDHC) Model RDMICSDHC16G-LIG-2

Something's wrong. When you go to the item, it's normal price. When you see it in list view, it's on sale for $34.99. I'm going to have a chat with them tomorrow I think ... This would be a great sale, if it would show the right price!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Upvote 0
Buy it quick! That's a heck of a sale. I think I'll snag one at that price ....

Newegg.com - RiDATA Lightning Series 16GB Micro SDHC (MicroSD) Flash Card w/2 Adapters (SD/Mini SD/Mini SDHC) Model RDMICSDHC16G-LIG-2

Something's wrong. When you go to the item, it's normal price. When you see it in list view, it's on sale for $34.99. I'm going to have a chat with them tomorrow I think ... This would be a great sale, if it would show the right price!

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,RITEK,Flash Memory,16GB

That's an awesome deal. I think I saw one on Newegg for $55 that had "Lifetime Limited" warranty vs "2 year limited" for the one you posted. I might get the former. Well, if I can get the Fascinate.

Upvote 0
The extended battery pic I saw (sorry can't locate it at the moment) had a larger battery case on it. Hopefully they have a smaller extended battery that will fit in the case, the small form factor and slim design is a a big part of the appeal on this phone for me anyway. I'm not adding a big battery to the back of it unless it fits in the current casing.

The stock battery as noted above is suppose to have better battery life than the droid x, so I'm thinking it should be pretty good as-is.

Upvote 0
I bought a D2 on Aug.12, if I take it back on the 9th (when this phone is released) ...I will still be within the 30 days ,right? Sorry for the stupid question, but I have never had to return a phone before.

Or, would I be better off to return it now? I paid full retail (cash) so how do they return your money? Do they credit your account? TIA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones