• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Original Droid...upgrade

BigRedNole

Aug 20, 2009
I keep getting emails and texts to upgrade my original Droid (today is the 1st day for the day 1 adopters). The problem is there is nothing out worth upgrading to. Droid 3 has no 4G LTE support. TB has battery issues and is a single core. Droid X2 is dual core, but no 4G.

The next logical upgrades are Samsung GS 2, Moto Bionic, or some other new hot shot phone. Why are none of these available yet?

Bionic comes out August 4th. Droid 3 is out now. The speculation on the Function forums is that the GS2 (Function on Verizon) is being reworked for 4G/LTE... which would thrill me. We're guessing sometime early September for that phone to drop, unless Big Red sits on it to try and sell more iPhone 5s. Otherwise, our Droids may have to wait until Black Friday to see what hot NEW superphones are coming out.

As for me... I'm hanging in there for the Function :)

Good luck on your decision!

Upvote 0
I keep getting emails and texts to upgrade my original Droid (today is the 1st day for the day 1 adopters). The problem is there is nothing out worth upgrading to. Droid 3 has no 4G LTE support. TB has battery issues and is a single core. Droid X2 is dual core, but no 4G.

The next logical upgrades are Samsung GS 2, Moto Bionic, or some other new hot shot phone. Why are none of these available yet?

If 4G is want you really want...I would hang tight. Bionic should be here soon. For me, I don't really need 4G...yet so I'm waiting for the D3 reviews to come in then get it around the end of July. This should give me time to switch to the Bionic if I necessary and see if it lives up to the hype.

Upvote 0
I'm a Day One adopter and have yet to receive any texts or e-mails. You must either be special or I'm just being left out :( LOL

Maybe the OP is still stock and we rooters aren't being invited to join the "fun"?

There is talk that the Function will actually come out with the four familiar buttons along the bottom instead of the home button... which I suppose I could get used to nevertheless, considering there is a capacitive button on either side of it for menu and back (long press back and it opens up search).

Upvote 0
I am rooted and have CM7 on. I have had CM since it came out for the Droid. I get daily texts from Best Buy, a text from VZW, and 2 emails from VZW.

I have been watching and waiting for VZW to come out with the next "big thing". Unfortunately, there is not much coming down the pipe. It as almost as if VZW phones have decided to say "screw dual-core" and wait for quad-core or iPhone 5.

Upvote 0
I'm another Day 1 guy, also rooted, never any texts from Verizon other than to confirm that the bill was paid.

And for the thread, I'm almost positive that I'll be jumping on the Bionic. I'll compare it to the Function when that comes out, and if I decide I prefer that, then I'll hand it off. If the Function does come out with LTE, then I'll def own both phones.

Upvote 0
I received my D3 yesterday and I highly recommend it. For me 4G is not a necessity as id much prefer it to be fully functional come my next upgrade. Take a look at the D3 first thoughts thread in the D3 forum. Aside from 4G/physical keyboard, the D3 and Bionic are almost identical. So it boils down to keyboard (which is near flawless) vs. 4G...take your pick. The D3 is super fast (as the Bionic will be) but you wont go wrong with either.

Upvote 0
i am still skeptical on the droid 3 i just hate that motobloat ui. What extra apps from Verizon does it come with. I am a day 1 adopter also rooted and no texts from Verizon. I do want that function and hopefully it does include that 4g and that extra 200 MHz. If it gets too close to November I just might have to wait for that Nexus Prime. God I hope the next nexus comes out on Verizon I really want that stock ui.

I agree there is no good phones out at this moment. Kind of sad because I was with t-mobile with a g1 and i was so happy seeing the droid come out with such a great network. Dont get me wrong Verizon is a great network. But the damn iphone i think ruined their interests on android.

Upvote 0
i am still skeptical on the droid 3 i just hate that motobloat ui. What extra apps from Verizon does it come with.

The D3 is continuing to impress me the more I use it and am very satisfied with it. The bloatware is unfortunate but come the OTA bootlloader update (fingures crossed) later this year, will be a moot issue.

Unremovables: Amazon Kindle, Blockbuster, gotomeetings,my verizon, skype, slacker, quick office, youtube, and 4 other junk Vcast things.

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
I don't know what to do either. I don't want to jump ship on verizon because when I do upgrade, I want to take advantage of the LTE network speeds...

But again, I would like an HTC phone (Sense UI > Moto Blur) With a full keyboard... with dual-core processor.... (Ok, I can dream)

But seriously, My OG Droid is almost getting unbearable to use (Playing "cut the rope" on GB will occasionally crash my phone and I don't want to go back to froyo, etc.)

I may settle for the droid Bionic, but I already loathe the fact knowing if I bought it, there would be no full size keyboard and a locked bootloader.

This sucks :(

A full size physical keyboard isn't a deal breaker (I've seen cool cases for the iphone4 that give full keyboard functionality) But man, it just feels like every phone being released has huge pros, and huge cons if you're switching from an OG Droid. It's like you lose as much as you gain.

Upvote 0
IF the Samsung Function never makes it to the states, fellow Droiders, then we can always wait for the Nexus Prime. Should be out in time for the holdays... if my poor Droid can just hold out a little longer :rolleyes:

my mouth starts to water when I think of the nexus prime, Hopefully it comes out by Nov. 6 because that is when my contract is up. I would to have a new phone by then. The function sounds great and the hardware sounds amazing. It is that touchwiz that i just dont like. I really cant handle any Manufacturers UI still. First android i had was the g1 and then the droid. I am ok with getting the function just cuz of how great the phone is over all. But it comes out in late august. I will try to hold off for the nexus prime.

Upvote 0
IF the Samsung Function never makes it to the states, fellow Droiders, then we can always wait for the Nexus Prime. Should be out in time for the holdays... if my poor Droid can just hold out a little longer :rolleyes:

But that would mean no physical buttons at ALL (maybe)....i dont know if im ready :eek:

Umm, Holidays? Oh, HELL NO. I am *NOT* waiting that long to trade in this overworked piece of ....er, actually decent hardware, if I do say so myself.

Seriously, I have not been in the loop for a long time, and though I haven't gotten any notifications that I can upgrade (because I *do* remember asking not to be bothered by VZW with SMS again when I bought the phone, b/c I didn't know about GV back then) I do know that I was able to upgrade asof 7/7 also b/c I went into the store and asked - rep tried t tell me that the captivate (?) was all I needed in a phone, and for an extra $20 he could upgrade me as of 7/3. I was like WTF??? (I'm pretty sure I made a post about here somewhere here back then too).

Prime sounds nice, but Imma have to prolly say no to the D3 and / or Bionic - I just have to have something a lot more powerful than that. I can and will always buy a spare battery or 2 and can easily swap them out so I do not have to worry about running out of juice, and my phone is gonna be heavily used b/c it is my lifeline to 3 businesses simultaneously, as well as schoolwork, so....I need raw power. Storage space. Multi-tasking that will put my Core2Quad to shame.

Anything else would be a bonus for me. I'm pretty sure I've talked myself into and SGSII, but it all depends on how that Bionic really ends up looking on drop day. I can't afford to upgrade until the end of the month, so I have a few weeks of reading to do - again. Just like I did Oct 2009 lol....

my mouth starts to water when I think of the nexus prime, Hopefully it comes out by Nov. 6 because that is when my contract is up. I would to have a new phone by then. The function sounds great and the hardware sounds amazing. It is that touchwiz that i just dont like. I really cant handle any Manufacturers UI still. First android i had was the g1 and then the droid. I am ok with getting the function just cuz of how great the phone is over all. But it comes out in late august. I will try to hold off for the nexus prime.

Agreed 100% (since my Stats professor says I'm not allowed to agree more than 100% anymore). All manufacturers' UIs suck. I want another bad ass phone with vanilla Android - is that too hard to ask?

Upvote 0
If available on Verizon, I'd say it's more than worth the wait with those rumored specs, features.

Out of curiosity, how is the camera quality on the samsung built phones? Is it better than HTC? (Best I've seen)

I don't like the picture quality of my droid, tbh.

god i really do not want to leave verizon just to have a stock android phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones