• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA Update Starting today?

Ok still no update. I called VZW and they guy said that the eng dept would push the update when ever they felt like it lol. He then said you store should be able to do it. So off to the store i went.

They guy took my phone and came back and said sorry i don't have the equipment to do it.

At first they where like what update? Then one of the girls said that she got a email on how to do it. So long story short calling vzw did nothing and going into the store for me did nothing but your store might be able to help you out. (i would call first)

Good Luck
JB

Ok still no update. I called VZW and they guy said that the eng dept would push the update when ever they felt like it lol. He then said you store should be able to do it. So off to the store i went.

They guy took my phone and came back and said sorry i don't have the equipment to do it.

At first they where like what update? Then one of the girls said that she got a email on how to do it. So long story short calling vzw did nothing and going into the store for me did nothing but your store might be able to help you out. (i would call first)

Good Luck
JB

A mass, structured rollout like this, on potentially a "flagship" phone, is definately going to be managed by "engineering".

I've only read a few posts so far... but this is a funny thread. We're pretty much guaranteed to get the update within the next week. Based on the information so far, there are no real game-changing or earth shattering improvements.

Improvements to menu speed and battery life are very minor. The camera fix is permanent now, but earlier comments from Motorola engineers basically said that most droids already have functioning cameras prior to the update and the math error won't re-manifest itself for another week. Corporate Exchange fixes are nonexistent. Improved call quality will be nice, but it's not bad right now. The bluetooth fixes could be a noticeable improvement for the select few who use those features.

I would rather get my update in a few days than be one of the forced beta testers. Most of the discussion, calls to verizon, and arguing aren't worth anyone's time since the fix will be here in a matter of days and overall it's a very basic patch - definately worthy of its x.x.1 designation.

I've only read a few posts so far... but this is a funny thread. We're pretty much guaranteed to get the update within the next week. Based on the information so far, there are no real game-changing or earth shattering improvements.

Improvements to menu speed and battery life are very minor. The camera fix is permanent now, but earlier comments from Motorola engineers basically said that most droids already have functioning cameras prior to the update and the math error won't re-manifest itself for another week. Corporate Exchange fixes are nonexistent. Improved call quality will be nice, but it's not bad right now. The bluetooth fixes could be a noticeable improvement for the select few who use those features.

I would rather get my update in a few days than be one of the forced beta testers. Most of the discussion, calls to verizon, and arguing aren't worth anyone's time since the fix will be here in a matter of days and overall it's a very basic patch - definately worthy of its x.x.1 designation.

Clearly you don't belong here...you should go back to where normal people live and leave us alone. :D

I talked to Verizon this morning because I too had not received my update. Here is what Verizon told me this morning:

10,000 updates went out on 12/7, no updates on 12/8, 200,000 updates will be sent out on 12/9 and then every other day from there 10,000 will be sent. So if you have not gotten your update and you are with Verizon you are going to have to wait..........and wait............and wait. Hopefully most of us will get our update tomorrow. Verizon did tell me that once we get the update notice it will take approximately 6-10 minutes to download and install.

I talked to Verizon this morning because I too had not received my update. Here is what Verizon told me this morning:

10,000 updates went out on 12/7, no updates on 12/8, 200,000 updates will be sent out on 12/9 and then every other day from there 10,000 will be sent. So if you have not gotten your update and you are with Verizon you are going to have to wait..........and wait............and wait. Hopefully most of us will get our update tomorrow. Verizon did tell me that once we get the update notice it will take approximately 6-10 minutes to download and install.

Which is exactly what we were told yesterday.

Which is exactly what we were told yesterday.

Well I guess I missed that post. There are only 12 pages of posts and when I read through some of them yesterday no one had posted any information it was all "when are we getting the update, how are we getting the update, etc". So I am sorry if I have posted the obvious or information that some already have. Was just trying to share what I learned this morning.

Well I guess I missed that post. There are only 12 pages of posts and when I read through some of them yesterday no one had posted any information it was all "when are we getting the update, how are we getting the update, etc". So I am sorry if I have posted the obvious or information that some already have. Was just trying to share what I learned this morning.

Feel free to use my brand new disclaimer. Its free!! :D

Funny that no updates were supposed to go out today, I was notified that the update was available to me.

I wonder if it was related to my being on my home wifi from 6 last night to 6 this AM and once I was back on 3G it got pushed out to me. Regardless, I was indifferent as to when I would get it, but the menu speed improvement was well worth it.

Sorry about the offer to post an image already in the thread, I was at work and skipped most of the thread in the interest of time. I'll skim it later tonight and see what else I missed, though I'm sure most of it is "waahh, I want my update NOW!", "waahh, why hasn't my phone been updated"?

Come on, is this update really THAT important to you guys? If it's a life-changer, maybe you need a new life. Sorry to be a prick but there are more important things in life to be excited about, worse things to complain about than not being #1 to get a minor update to CELL PHONE SOFTWARE. I know, I know, this is more than a "phone", and I agree with that, but really. I bet some of you were the same ones that complained the Storm was too slow to come out then complained that the software was buggy when it dropped...

On phonearena.com there is a video about the update. and on phonescoop.com there is a more detailed idea as to when but still vague on the who. I am in Okla 580 area code and still nothing as of yet I am waiting impatiently for mine.:p:p

ok, here is a theory...

Specific accounts are provisioned for the update, but each one does a Check in every few hours to see if there are any updates. So if we could trigger the checkin, could we capture the update.

Well it looks like we can....

But, What we really want to do is to capture the URL the file is downloaded from in the logs.

So if you are going to try this, please try to capture the log output using the SDK commands so we can get the update file.

Here is how here:

AllDroid.org - View topic - Possible Droid Exploit for Root

I did this, and did trigger a check in but my unit is not provisioned for the update so this is what I logged:

I/CheckinService( 1011): Checkin triggered: Intent { act=android.server.checkin.CHECKIN flg=0x4 (has extras) }, market only = false
I/CheckinService( 1011): Checkin triggered: Intent { act=android.server.checkin.CHECKIN flg=0x4 (has extras) }, market only = false
I/CheckinService( 1011): Sending checkin request (8302 bytes)...
I/CheckinService( 1011): From server: Intent { act=android.server.checkin.FOTA_CANCEL }
I/CheckinService( 1011): Checkin success
I/CheckinService( 1011): Crash report blocked
I/CheckinService( 1011): Sending checkin request (1533 bytes)...
I/CheckinService( 1011): From server: Intent { act=android.server.checkin.FOTA_CANCEL }
I/CheckinService( 1011): Checkin success
I/CheckinService( 1011): Crash report blocked

Maybe someone on this forum is provisioned, but they have not hit their checkin time yet?

That info appears to be wrong as some have reported getting the update this morning and this afternoon.

I talked to a verizon person on the phone just now, and they update schedule as we have it is indeed correct.

So, I'm guessing most of us will get the update tomorrow. The tech guy said they haven't had any issues with the updates, so person with the force-close thing, no one has reported an issue. Hopefully the re-copying your music will work.

EDIT: I think the 9,000 at midnight is being dispersed throughout the day.

ok lol well that answers that...the only thing ive noticed that was different so far is the unlock screen and the facebook msgs.

Back
Top Bottom