• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [OUTDATED] Root 2.2.1 and get Data WORKING!!!

Thanks Joneidy :D I tried to root my Lg Optimus using the z4root, gingerbreak, and one click method all to no avail :( I was running 2.2.2 after I had updated my phone using the Lg mobile software and none of the above methods worked. After downgrading using the very easy guide (btw) i'm now rooted and very happy to have gotten rid of all that bad bloatware from metropcs. This method works for downgrading just follow the directions to the letter and everything will be fine. Again many thanks :D

Upvote 0
Well after the success of a couple of people that currently rooted their stock 2.2.1 phone with this files, I decided to make a thread so that everyone can do it.

Very first thing to do is to download the drivers go here LG Optimus M MS690 Cell Phones & Mobile Phones - LG Electronics US and download the drivers and install them.
I'm trying to downgrade to 2.2.1 from 2.2.2. I'm stuck on step one. When I click on this link I don't see anything that concerns any type of drivers. I don't know where to find it to install. Can some one please help me

Upvote 0
Hey I have ms690 and thats exactly what happened to it, what you said in the post. Cant get past the LG logo, been trying to fix it for 3 days now, just all day searching for answers. I tried your method, but theres multiple errors that always mess me up. First one is when I try to install LGNTPS_Components_Ver_5_0_12_0.msi...it says error 1721, but than I can get past that by first installing the Generic Model Ver, and than I get another error at "drag the MS690.dll file on top of the Reggie.exe file to register the MS690.dll file." it says "HRESULT 0x080020009 Exception Occured" and than after that it just doesnt work, I open the application, but I cant do anything on it. It doesnt recognize my phone at all, and at first I taught somethings wrong with the computer, so i tried everything on the other computer and I got the exact same errors. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASEEEE HELP ME???

Upvote 0
Hey I have ms690 and thats exactly what happened to it, what you said in the post. Cant get past the LG logo, been trying to fix it for 3 days now, just all day searching for answers. I tried your method, but theres multiple errors that always mess me up. First one is when I try to install LGNTPS_Components_Ver_5_0_12_0.msi...it says error 1721, but than I can get past that by first installing the Generic Model Ver, and than I get another error at "drag the MS690.dll file on top of the Reggie.exe file to register the MS690.dll file." it says "HRESULT 0x080020009 Exception Occured" and than after that it just doesnt work, I open the application, but I cant do anything on it. It doesnt recognize my phone at all, and at first I taught somethings wrong with the computer, so i tried everything on the other computer and I got the exact same errors. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASEEEE HELP ME???

Upvote 0

Two things come to mind when I read that, first you need admin rights on your computer, turn off UAC and the second thing is your antivirus is most likely blocking everything. you may have to turn it off, disable, uninstall it until you get it working.

Upvote 0
**Then drag the MS690.dll file on top of the Reggie.exe file to register the MS690.dll file.**<---- Very Important step, Make sure to have Administrator Rights.

Hello, I just got an Optimus M by Metro and I'm very new to all of this. After doing much research, I finally found out that I can't root the Optimus because its running on Android 2.2.2 so I have to downgrade to 2.2.1.

I know this is pretty lame but I got stuck early on in your list of directions. I'm having trouble getting "Administrator Rights". Anyone know how I can do this?

Whenever I drag the MS690.dll file on top of the Reggie.exe file, I'm asked if I want to run the software. I click run and then something pops up saying:

HRSULT==0x80020003
Exception occurred.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Upvote 0
With many hours put into this, I finally downgraded to 2.2.1!

Problem:
Then open up Cmd and type the following: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.
After that type: adb push C:\su /data/local/tmp/ (to copy the su file)
then type: adb push C:\busybox /data/local/tmp/ (to copy the busybox file)
Then type: adb install C:\Superuser.apk (to install the superuser app)

I have done this several times but it keeps saying "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" for each one I enter.

I have tried uninstalling the Android SDK Tools and Platform Tools and then reinstalling but keep running into this same problem. Any ideas? I also still have no service on my phone :/

PS. great thread!

Upvote 0
With many hours put into this, I finally downgraded to 2.2.1!

Problem:
Then open up Cmd and type the following: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.
After that type: adb push C:\su /data/local/tmp/ (to copy the su file)
then type: adb push C:\busybox /data/local/tmp/ (to copy the busybox file)
Then type: adb install C:\Superuser.apk (to install the superuser app)

I have done this several times but it keeps saying "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" for each one I enter.

I have tried uninstalling the Android SDK Tools and Platform Tools and then reinstalling but keep running into this same problem. Any ideas? I also still have no service on my phone :/

PS. great thread!

if you have 2.2.1 now download 4shared...and get an app called gingerbreak.its a one click root

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones