• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PHone is bricked? :((

So you did it the new way without having root first?
yup, took me two tries. I noticed some things different this time. this time phone didn't vibrate when I touched metal piece holding th SD card. After it says Juopunutbear S-off Sucess on screen, phone rebooted then made a loud beep and shut off. Had to manually turned it back on. checked bootloader and behold S-off status ;)

yup, took me two tries. I noticed some things different this time. this time phone didn't vibrate when I touched metal piece holding th SD card. After it says Juopunutbear S-off Sucess on screen, phone rebooted then made a loud beep and shut off. Had to manually turned it back on. checked bootloader and behold S-off status ;)
It also gave you the JBear 1.57.5757 hboot automatically without prompting?

ramjet73

Hello folks, I bricked my evo 3d yesterday and had to get another one. Battery is charged. Turning s-off is what did it, usb pulled during the process. No bootloader, no fastboot. My widows 7 computer tried to load a driver over and over so I assume the phone was booting over and over and failing. It was during the wire trick that it was crashed. So got another, unlocked the bootloader, rooted it and I'm done. It was $150 bucks. Cheap but I could have bought the galaxy s2 or s3 for the same amount. But I really like the evo 3d. I use 3d in presentations. Have a 3d sbs monitor and tv for just the task so the evo 3d fits perfect. So anyways, if you pull the usb cable during the s-off trick, you will likely get bricked. Sharing the info. It's the only time I've bricked anything so it ca and will happen. Just fyi, tried to load a bootloader image, no dice either. Just bricked.

r

Hello folks, I bricked my evo 3d yesterday and had to get another one. Battery is charged. Turning s-off is what did it, usb pulled during the process. No bootloader, no fastboot. My widows 7 computer tried to load a driver over and over so I assume the phone was booting over and over and failing. It was during the wire trick that it was crashed. So got another, unlocked the bootloader, rooted it and I'm done. It was $150 bucks. Cheap but I could have bought the galaxy s2 or s3 for the same amount. But I really like the evo 3d. I use 3d in presentations. Have a 3d sbs monitor and tv for just the task so the evo 3d fits perfect. So anyways, if you pull the usb cable during the s-off trick, you will likely get bricked. Sharing the info. It's the only time I've bricked anything so it ca and will happen. Just fyi, tried to load a bootloader image, no dice either. Just bricked.

r

I handled my phone so gently during the wire trick. I figured that any interruptions meant either hours of stress and troubleshooting to fix. I even took out my enxtended battery, and used the standard battery as the extended is prone to falling out without a cover.

I handled my phone so gently during the wire trick. I figured that any interruptions meant either hours of stress and troubleshooting to fix. I even took out my enxtended battery, and used the standard battery as the extended is prone to falling out without a cover.

Funny... I also put the stock battery in when I did the wire trick. The best thing I have found that works is a shortened coaxial cable

I had no luck with the paperclip, I used a small part of an old phone charger, cut it open, took a length of wire and exposed the ends, worked perfect

r

Were you out of warranty period? If you talk to VM and say that phone suddenly dies, I would guess that they would send you a replacement anyway.

I did that to about 4 or 5 Motorola Triumphs. Good thing I got that Best Buy insurance, they'll replace your phone no questions asked.

Even for cosmetic damage like a broken screen they will give you a brand new phone.

Funny... I also put the stock battery in when I did the wire trick. The best thing I have found that works is a shortened coaxial cable

I had no luck with the paperclip, I used a small part of an old phone charger, cut it open, took a length of wire and exposed the ends, worked perfect

Were you out of warranty period? If you talk to VM and say that phone suddenly dies, I would guess that they would send you a replacement anyway.

I did that to about 4 or 5 Motorola Triumphs. Good thing I got that Best Buy insurance, they'll replace your phone no questions asked.

Even for cosmetic damage like a broken screen they will give you a brand new phone.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will get a piece of decent wire next time and work on a nice flat surface. Laps are not a good substitute for a desk.

I have insurance with wally world and virgin mobile for the new one.
Still not sure about s-off right now. A little gun shy. The fubar evo will not boot even with a boot image, toasted if I ever saw one. I think it's parts now.

The bricked one... sell it on ebay as slightly used? :rolleyes: (stole the joke from raj)

r

Thanks for the tips guys. I will get a piece of decent wire next time and work on a nice flat surface. Laps are not a good substitute for a desk.

I have insurance with wally world and virgin mobile for the new one.
Still not sure about s-off right now. A little gun shy. The fubar evo will not boot even with a boot image, toasted if I ever saw one. I think it's parts now.

The bricked one... sell it on ebay as slightly used? :rolleyes: (stole the joke from raj)

r

The wire trick is not hard, I could make a living doing the wire trick for people who are scared to do it lol Just get an insulated wired, make sure it's small enough to fit in the little outer hole on your phone. Tap, count one-one-thousand fast, then tap again and hold it until controlbear says S-off Success!!

The wire trick is not hard, I could make a living doing the wire trick for people who are scared to do it lol Just get an insulated wired, make sure it's small enough to fit in the little outer hole on your phone. Tap, count one-one-thousand fast, then tap again and hold it until controlbear says S-off Success!!

When instructed to do so by the program you must perform the "wire trick" as follows:
Hold one end of the wire into the hole where PIN is indicated in the picture below, ensuring that a firm contact is made with the metal contact at the bottom of the hole.
Briefly touch to other end of the wire to the contact marked GND in the picture.
Wait approximately 1.5 seconds and then again touch the wire to the marked GND.
* If that timing does not work the first time try: TAP (pause 1.25 seconds) TAP
Allow the program to continue.

I read it as touch and remove, wait about two seconds, touch and remove. In any case not trying to be anal.

I did the s-off wire trick again with a fully charged battery and everything went fine. I have s-off with my evo 3d and I can use the full harmonia 3 rom. I use a harmonia rom on my venture and it made it a useable device. This one should be too.

Thanks folks for all the tips! Big fat sloppy wet one for you, optional.

Gratefully,
r

I read it as touch and remove, wait about two seconds, touch and remove. In any case not trying to be anal.

I did the s-off wire trick again with a fully charged battery and everything went fine. I have s-off with my evo 3d and I can use the full harmonia 3 rom. I use a harmonia rom on my venture and it made it a useable device. This one should be too.

Thanks folks for all the tips! Big fat sloppy wet one for you, optional.

Gratefully,
r

Congrats on getting S-off!! I'm glad it went well for you.

Well it's about 1-2 second wait after first tap, then tap again and hold it for about 5-8 seconds. When you see "Waiting for device to settle....Please wait"

You can put the wire down. And then if it says "ahh nice sunny day" You know you're going to get "Juopunutbear S-off success" :)

r

When you turn the phone on what does it display? The juopunutbear screen? I pulled my USB several times during the process and it was fine. Can you hold the power button and volume down button to get into boot loader? Do you have the actual HTC drivers installed from the HTC website? What does controlbear say when you open it while the phone is plugged in? Device not found or something about your SD card? There are troubleshooting things on the unlimited.io website. They have commands you enter that would possibly fix it... Controlbear automatically backs up recovery, boot, and sdcard as img's so with a few commands you can restore them to the phone.

Back
Top Bottom