• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible bad SIM card?

Eric2

Dec 30, 2009
I recently received a refurbished Rezound from Verizon as a replacement, and have been experiencing a few bugs.

When I turn the phone on, I will occasionally get an error message saying that the device needs a SIM card to work, and to power down the device. After probably less than a minute, that error message goes away, and the phone finishes booting up and connects to 1X.

I normally have the mobile network off, and when I turn it on, I sometimes find there to be a very long delay until the 4G symbol shows up in the status bar at the top. I will sometimes toggle it off and back on if the delay gets too long, and that will sometimes work. Other times I may do that a couple times before it will come up in 4G.

After doing a reset to stock on my old phone, I found I had to take the battery and SIM card out, and put them back in, before I could connect to 4G. It also had the long delay time in 4G turning on, even before the reset, (which I did for another reason.)

Does all this sound like a SIM card problem? I still have my old SIM card in this refurb, and it would do similar things in the old handset, except for that error message on booting up.

Thanks!

I didn't get a new SIM card with the refurb, so I will go over to the local store.

Is there any data on the SIM card I need to backup, and if so, what is your recommendation on how to do so?

Thanks acej
Not likely, it is possible to store contacts on the SIM, but I think you would have to manually create or move them there. I have swapped SIMs a few times in a couple different Verizon phones, never had an issue. If you have contacts in the SIM, you can just move them to Google contacts in People (all contacts should always be Google contacts, it is just best practice).

I think problems swappings SIMs are more common in GSM phones than LTE phones.

Upvote 0
So I went over to the local store, and even though I had screen shots showing the errors, they would not replace the SIM card. They said they had to see it do it themselves. So since it is intermittent, and didn't act up when I was there, no dice. (And don't you know it did it to me the very next day.)

I had a weather widget problem too, (not finding my location), but after having the battery and SIM card out, and getting a fix on my location via Google maps (w/ mobile & GPS on), that problem has resolved itself.

So I am now considering just going thru the pain of having this "new" refurb replaced, since the proximity sensor doesn't work right anyway. And yes...that is becoming a real annoyance, too. That's probably the biggest problem right now.

Otherwise, I'd be happy. Why can't these things just work! </whine off>

Upvote 0
What a difference between individuals.

Went over to the store this weekend to bring up the proximity sensor issue, and also decided to bring up the SIM card error messages again. The employee said, yes, that sure seemed like a SIM card problem, so why don't we just give you a new one, and try that. THANK YOU! He didn't need to recreate the problem himself. Just looked at the screen shots I had taken, and that was it. It seems to have solved the problem...no more SIM card errors since.

As to the proximity sensor, they decided to send me another refurb. Said it seemed like the screen wasn't well seated, and after pushing down in it, it seemed to work...temporarily, anyway.

New refurb has arrived today, and it seems to work OK. The top surface of the screen doesn't seem to be flush with the frame on this one, either, but the proximity sensor on this one works.

It's been so long since I had the original unit, I don't remember if the top surface of the screen was flush with the frame, or inset a little. Maybe I'll go back and look at the one they had on display. Or maybe someone here can say.

Upvote 0
Thanks for checking, ace. After checking mine more closely, it also seems like there is some "give" in the screen, presumably because it is not seated properly.

And apparently I seemed to have spoken too soon. On a couple calls last night, the proximity sensor failed to function properly. So it looks like this one is going back, too. Can I request a replacement with a properly seated screen this time?! (ha ha)

So here I go again. I am getting pretty experienced at setting up a new phone, so at least that part of it isn't so much of a pain anymore.

Upvote 0
On phone #3 since last Tuesday, and so far, so good. Screen does not appear to be fully flush with the frame, but the proximity sensor is working.

I looked at a Rezound they had on display at the store, and that one also had the top of the screen sticking out a bit. Maybe that was a refurb, too.

I still get random SIM card errors, and I'm wondering if I fried it by taking it out and putting it back in so many times on the different phones, and to fix the weather widget problem. Perhaps they are ESD sensitive. On the other hand, it does eventually grab the signal, and if it truly was fried, I would think it wouldn't.

Well hopefully I didn't just jinx myself!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones