• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem: i7500 Randomly Shutting Itself Off

Quick update to my comments above - after playing with the Galaxo and GalaxHero roms for a bit I reverted to the H8 backup, and so far no issues with that one! (5 days and counting).

With G8, I had intermittent reboots or (more frequently) shutdowns, usually several times a week;

Since H8, it's been 5 days with no mystery shutdown.

Tao

Upvote 0
Getting shutdowns on H8 here. Last one was last night, about 7 days since the one before it.

I tried ringing my phone from the landline and it just went straight to voice mail. Wouldn't turn back on until I took the battery out and put it back in.

I hadn't been doing anything strenuous with the phone prior to it shutting down. Think I'd sent a picture to picasa or something, turned the screen off, then when i went to use it later it wouldn't respond.

Upvote 0
Quick status update - it's now been over a week with H8 and still no restarts / shutdowns. I think I'm ready to call this issue fixed for me!

(and this without a hard reset - the H8 update installed pretty painlessly, the only change I really noticed was the new "Switchers" app)

@z0mbi3: No, I never had to remove the battery when the phoine did its shutdown thing on the G8 version of the firmware - sometimes it simply turned off, sometimes it restarted, but that was the only effect.

hth,
Tao

Upvote 0
I've never needed to do a cold reboot, but I think i've managed to narrow down the source of the reboots. I currently think that it could be caused by the location api.

I can get the phone to reboot in a relatively short time by starting locale and jumping back and forth in the settings. Every time you save a setting it refreshes the daemon and tries to obtain your location which in my mind is the culprit. I could be wrong but at least it's a start to pinning down the problem.

Could someone try to reproduce the results with their phone so that i know i'm not imagining this.

Upvote 0
What's the latest on this problem? Currently, I have to perform cold reboot (remove battery) when the phone turns off. I'm not sure what the cause is - it really does seem to be random.

I'm running H6. I would appreciated any update at all for this (UK, O2).

Issue seems to be fixed (at least for me) in I5, so hopefully when an update becomes available to the UK via NPS it will be to a version later than that (fingers crossed).

Upvote 0
What's the latest on this problem? Currently, I have to perform cold reboot (remove battery) when the phone turns off. I'm not sure what the cause is - it really does seem to be random.

I'm running H6. I would appreciated any update at all for this (UK, O2).

Hi

I have not found a good solution for this problem. I can only say these shutdowns are related to high background application usage. If I kill all applications before locking phone I can get 100+ hours usage before shutdown. But Android UI will restart itself several times within this time. After these restarts all autostart apps have to be killed. If I do not kill those applications, phone shutdowns usually after few hours.

Killing all applications before locking helps a lot but does not eliminate the problem. I have also noticed that phone is more likely to shutdown after camera usage. If I don't use camera and still use 3g, wifi etc. phone will stay on quite long time.

By the way I'm using H8. I'm quite reluctant to update to I5 firmware because some of the problems people have with it. I will probably wait until Samsung releases official update via NPS.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. I set up adb and got the log but it seems this log does not survive reboot so it's quite useless. It might show something interesting if someone could save it just before crash.

Connect the phone to PC via USB, type
Code:
adb logcat
(or, on Linux, perhaps
Code:
adb logcat | tee /tmp/android.log
), and simply leave the phone connected and let it do its thing (only really practical when not needing to use the phone). The on-screen (or file redirected) log gets appended to in this state and, if enough people do this, someone will eventually catch the phone while rebooting, thus capturing some interesting logging calls. There is always the possibility that USB connection, interaction with ADB, etc. will somehow inhibit the phone rebooting, but I doubt it.

Upvote 0
I like most geeks started filling my phone from day one with lots of "cool" apps and found that when I left it alone that it would reboot every 30-60 mins or so, I found that the "locale" app was causing my phone to reboot (presumably crashing the phone).

I had setup a rule that said if I was home (given a location) then turn on the wifi, otherwise turn it off.. good in theory but I assume that maybe the phone was getting confused from time to time and either the app and/or my home wifi rule was crashing the phone.

I uninstalled all apps (no hard reset/factory reset done), and everything has been fine since, have been loading apps on it with no problems.

So try uninstalling any installed apps before complaining of a firmware problem.

Upvote 0
mine did it for the 1st time today but not a full reboot, just to the android screen and it kept my pin details and came back pretty fast.
it happened when i was on the train and it kept flicking between 3g, gprs, edge in a few mins cos i was handing over constantly
i was browsing bbc at the time too, phone locked up and restarted

1st time since i had the phone so it does seem like its network related

Upvote 0
Any clues? I got my galaxy on Monday and it works well until the next day. I installed Big Planet, barcode scanner, rmaps, and offline google map files (~430MB), and updated to II4, but it shuts off while i was working. The battery should be reinstalled to make reboot possible. I tried rrautane's solution (killing every app before locking the screen) and it seemed to be effective. Now I think the phone may not wake up (and no response) under certain condition so I let my phone never lock the screen, it's battery consuming but gets no random shuts.

And I found something else about the battery. With 3G/GPRS/Wifi all turned off, no background data/synchronizing and screen auto-locking turned on, my galaxy will only eats about 1% battery in one hour; but if it idles for a long time (i.e, while i was sleeping at nights and no other one will use my phone), the battery will be consuming in an incredible speed, about 60% in 6 hours. I think maybe some programs are using CPU, but I cannot catch them.

Sorry for my poor English. I really love this phone but something still needs to be solved....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones