• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help problems with EVO 4g

As far as #3, you can access that thru the bootloader.

And for #4, don't worry about that one as there is nothing to backup.

After the rom flash and when you get your phone setup, then you can do that step only.

A nandroid backup is like a computer restore point, or a game save.....if something ever goes wonky with your device again, you can boot into recovery and restore that backup.

:)

Edit: D'oh, ninj'ed :p

Reactions: calail
Upvote 0
With other devices,the recovery on an htcdev unlocked device cannot install the kernel,so if this is the case here,don't forget to fastboot flash the boot image.

we also need some clarification from ocn or mike if the evo does or doesnt need its boot image flashed. i dont have one of these,so im not 100% sure :eek:

i would definately hate to confuse you with the boot image flashing directions if its not needed. :)

Upvote 0
we also need some clarification from ocn or mike if the evo does or doesnt need its boot image flashed. i dont have one of these,so im not 100% sure :eek:

i would definately hate to confuse you with the boot image flashing directions if its not needed. :)

With this device, you need not flash a kernel separately. MikG, and other roms for this device will come with their own kernel. :)

Reactions: calail and scotty85
Upvote 0
ok. It went through all the MikG updating (seemed to anyways), and then went back to the bootloader screen.

I selected Reboot. But, the phone goes immediately back to the Bootloader screen. So, I selected Power Down; removed battery and reinstalled battery, pressed volume/down and power; opens bootloader screen, select reboot... same thing - immediately goes back to the bootloader screen.

Upvote 0
ok. It went through all the MikG updating (seemed to anyways), and then went back to the bootloader screen.

I selected Reboot. But, it just goes back to the Bootloader screen. Should I "power off", then turn it back on instead of using the reboot option?

Hmm, yes, try that :) Power off, then on.

Upvote 0
So, I selected Power Down; removed battery and reinstalled battery, pressed volume/down and power; opens bootloader screen, select reboot... same thing - immediately goes back to the bootloader screen.

If I select Power Down, then just press the power button to turn the phone back on, it also goes immediatley to the bootloader screen.

Upvote 0
wondering if i have a low battery issue.... haven't charged the phone since i've been messing with it... so, i'll leave it on the charger today, and check back later. i've got to shower and get to the office - already late :)

Will you be on later, Mike?
Yup...I'm at work and I float back and forth from my desk and the shop, so I may not respond right away....but I'll be here:)

Upvote 0
Yes, the full wipe....that could be it:)
The full wipe version is what you need ;)
I realized that was a stupid question, so have already started the process with the right file LOL

For some reason, I was thinking we were updating the phone, so I just needed the update file.... jeesh!

So, I completed the process with the right file. The phone has restarted. Unfortunately, it's doing the exact same thing.

vibrating intermittently, changing screens, opening menus, etc. Definitely wonky and gremlin like...

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I realized that was a stupid question, so have already started the process with the right file LOL

For some reason, I was thinking we were updating the phone, so I just needed the update file.... jeesh!

So, I completed the process with the right file. The phone has restarted. Unfortunately, it's doing the exact same thing.

vibrating intermittently, changing screens, opening menus, etc. Definitely wonky and gremlin like...

what did you wipe before flashing the rom?

Upvote 0
nothing wrong that i can see. :)

the phone is not neccesarily hosed,tho... i wouldnt give up on it until weve run an ruu.

continue on with the steps to lower the main version and then well run an ruu and see what happens :)
hmmm... not sure why my notification of posts shut off... just saw your message Scotty.

I looked through the guide again, and didn't immediately see info on "lowering the main version". Can you provide me with a direct link, pls?

Upvote 0
hmmm... not sure why my notification of posts shut off... just saw your message Scotty.

I looked through the guide again, and didn't immediately see info on "lowering the main version". Can you provide me with a direct link, pls?

ok couple of things.

1. you only did superwipe, but you should also need to manually wipe dalvik cache, cache, and system. superwipe is optional but can be used in addition to manually wiping before you flash a rom. i would re-wipe and re-flash the rom.

2. lowering the main version is part of capt's method....it's in the guide.

edit: ninja'd mikey :eviltongue:

and yeah sorry wrong guide i was thinking, but the results are the same.
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/526575-guide-unrooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-a.html

both will have info on how to lower your misc partition (main version) so that you can run a ruu to return the phone to stock.

Upvote 0

Methinks this is it: :)

Method 2.
To fully unroot
If you are "Unlocked" and "s-on" with hboot 2.18, follow this guide:
ok so you want to unroot your phone. unfortunately, the process is more complicated then the previous methods. basically to get rid of the watermark you will need to change the misc partition and then you can flash the PC36IMG RUU to finish the process in getting a stock rom and recovery.

these are the files you will need:

step #1 downgrading the misc partition
1.download the first three files and create a folder and call it android then move the downloaded files to the android folder.
2.download and install (do not run) htc sync:HTC Sync 3.0.5551
3.connect your phone to the pc via usb cable
4.we need to extract and then move the flash_image and the mtd-eng files on to the sd card. make sure that you do not put the extracted files in any folders. they need to be on the root of the card (very top level)
5.change the setting from disk to charge only, make sure that usb debugging is turned on, settings>apps>development>check usb debugging, and lastly make sure that fastboot is disabled, settings>apps>uncheck fastboot.
6.on your pc hold shift while right clicking on the android folder. select open command window here option.
7. in the command window type:
Code:
adb shell

ok you should get # in the command window if not then something went wrong.

if you do get # then type:
Code:
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
then:
Code:
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
and last:
Code:
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

the command screen should look like this when all the commands are entered:
attachmentvf.png

step #2 installing the stock rom and recovery
1.download the 4.67 PC36IMG file and rename it by deleting everything but the PC36IMG part in the name. make sure not to add an extra zip as windows hides extensions.
2.move it to the root of the sd card that means on the top level of the card and not in any folders.
3.power off then press and hold power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader. if you named the file right and it is on the root of the card then it will ask you to update. select yes.
4.before you reboot your phone double check your bootloader screen. at the top it should say locked and your hboot should be 2.18 with s-on. if that is what you see then congrats!!!!!!!!!! you are now unrooted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
ok couple of things.

1. you only did superwipe, but you should also need to manually wipe dalvik cache, cache, and system. superwipe is optional but can be used in addition to manually wiping before you flash a rom. i would re-wipe and re-flash the rom.
I definitely skipped this step - for some reason, I was thinking somebody had said that I didn't need to do this... but I went back to reread this entire thread and I'll have to blame it on me! I purposely skipped it, but don't know why. So, I've started over... performed these steps:
1.first you need the vr superwipe (this is not a rom. this is a file that wipes your sytem partitions and also wipes all the temp files as well:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2.download the rom (i recommend MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) of your choice and transfer it to your card.

3.go into recovery
4.make a nandroid backup
5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6.select flash zip from sdcard
7.find the superwipe file and select it.
8.find your rom and select it.
9.reboot.

Phone rebooted on it's own after running MikG v3.11. After unlocking the screen, the same *wonkiness* occurs. Then, the screen freezes and nothing else happens... vibrating stops, but I can't do anything with the phone and have to pull the battery.

2. lowering the main version is part of capt's method...
currently getting the required downloads. Since I'm not at home, will have to download and install the HTC Sync to this laptop... and it's taking forever to download! And, I'm on a broadband connection too :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones