• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root PSFreedom finally ported to Droid

Ah yes, I completely forgot to mention you need a retail game disc in the drive to play any games off the hard drive. Basically this "tricks" the system into launching a different game when you click on the load disc option. Any game disc will work, maybe even the netflix disc, but I haven't tested this myself yet.

Upvote 0
Ah yes, I completely forgot to mention you need a retail game disc in the drive to play any games off the hard drive. Basically this "tricks" the system into launching a different game when you click on the load disc option. Any game disc will work, maybe even the netflix disc, but I haven't tested this myself yet.

I know this shadowtech. But my problem is that it still freezes on every backup that I try to load.
By any chance could you send me a link to the "appropriate" backup manager

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what would be causing this. If they were games you backed up directly through BU from Disc, I don't see what would cause the error.

If they were transferred via FTP, they need to be placed in "./dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345/GAMEZ/". On usb they need do to be "/GAMEZ".

This hack needs to be reapplied everytime you turn the PS3 on, so if you happened to have rebooted it without the phone exploit running, it may be what is blocking them from launch.

Also, not every game is fully working yet, but a vast majority do. Check this list to see if the game you are trying has any issues.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=tqjzdwQGOhsHl_KH0KiEC3w&toomany=true

Upvote 0
i was able to jb my ps3 so i then installed the backup manager i found off the net from a usb thumb drive onto the ps3 ..and it installed fine ..so i put in MW2 and installed it onto my HD..so i removed the disk and put in anther game ..at that time backup manager listed the other game i just put in my ps3.so i click x on MW2 and it loaded to the ps3 boot screen it also showed that MW2 was in the disk drive even tho the other game was in the drive..when i click onto MW2 to load and play the game the ps3 would just freeze..im guessing im not useing the right backup manager can anyone point me to the backup manager i need..thank you

Upvote 0
i was able to jb my ps3 so i then installed the backup manager i found off the net from a usb thumb drive onto the ps3 ..and it installed fine ..so i put in MW2 and installed it onto my HD..so i removed the disk and put in anther game ..at that time backup listed the other game i just put in my ps3.so i click x on MW2 and it loaded to the ps3 boot screen it also showed that MW2 was in the disk drive even tho the other game was in the drive..when i click onto MW2 to load and play the game the ps3 would just freeze..

Yep, this seems to be the consensus

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what would be causing this. If they were games you backed up directly through BU from Disc, I don't see what would cause the error.

If they were transferred via FTP, they need to be placed in "./dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345/GAMEZ/". On usb they need do to be "/GAMEZ".

This hack needs to be reapplied everytime you turn the PS3 on, so if you happened to have rebooted it without the phone exploit running, it may be what is blocking them from launch.

Also, not every game is fully working yet, but a vast majority do. Check this list to see if the game you are trying has any issues.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=tqjzdwQGOhsHl_KH0KiEC3w&toomany=true

Both games I've used have been backups from retail discs. They are also both confirmed to be working. Again, can you please respond with a link to the appropriate backup manager, either through the forums or a PM.

Upvote 0
MW2 appears to have issues being backed up, so that would explain that problem.

As for the games listed as supported not working, I would either blame it on a bad backup manager (which I gave you a link for), or the exploit not actively running on the PS3, thus not allowing unsigned software to load.

Upvote 0
MW2 appears to have issues being backed up, so that would explain that problem.

As for the games listed as supported not working, I would either blame it on a bad backup manager (which I gave you a link for), or the exploit not actively running on the PS3, thus not allowing unsigned software to load.

I obviously have the hack running because I can see the install packages icon in the XMB (as well as the other one of which the name evades me). Maybe it was the backup manager. I wiped it and have now installed the one you sent me. I'm re-backing up a game and will try it and post results here soon

Upvote 0
Any updates Fab? Are you able to play back ups? Also, can someone please clue me in a bit more.

I get that the linked file "jailbreaks" your PS3, but then what is needed to play backups? Another program? Can it be loaded on a normal USB stick?

Thanks!

So I still have the last firmware that supports Linux installed on my PS3. I tried manually updating to 3.41 w/ a usb drive, but no matter what I tried, I could not get the damn thing to recognize!

I just gave up last night. I may give it another go this weekend, but seeing as how MW2 was really the only game I had any interest in backing up...I might not even do this, LOL.

Upvote 0
Is anyone having issues doing this? I have the right mod and have the zip file on the root of my sd card but it will not flash. I have tried sprecovery and when I say install from sdcard it just says E: no tar archive. In sprecovery it will not let me choose a zip from my sdcard, I switched recoveries to clockwork and selected the zip file and said install but it went through really fast and did not appear to work. Any help would be great

Upvote 0
So I still have the last firmware that supports Linux installed on my PS3. I tried manually updating to 3.41 w/ a usb drive, but no matter what I tried, I could not get the damn thing to recognize!

I just gave up last night. I may give it another go this weekend, but seeing as how MW2 was really the only game I had any interest in backing up...I might not even do this, LOL.

hey fab, i know you probably tried this, but just in case, did you put the update file inside your flash drive in the correct folder format?

ROOT / PS3 / UPDATE / PS3UPDAT.PUP

Upvote 0
Anyone figure out why I am unable to flash my droid with the files to jailbreak my ps3? I have not been able to get it to work.

Did you grab the right file? They are both named the exact same (stupid), but the update on the right is the one you want.

Also, make sure you are running a Froyo Rom/Kernel otherwise the boot.img won't be compatible. I have flashed the proper update .zip many times now without issue.

As for recent news, it seems that it has been discovered that if you backup one of your retail games to the internal hdd, you can transfer it to your PC via PS3FTP, and burn it on a disc. The resulting disc is playable in your PS3. This is great news as it means you can make a direct backup of your retail discs and not waste hdd space. Of course most games are gonna need a Dual-Layer DVDR or BluRay, but still a nice option to have.

Upvote 0
Which files to the right do I need? I have tried doing this with V.4 Bugless as well as sapphire 0.7 I got the boot.img file to work since I couldn't charge the phone anymore and I went into the terminal and ran the code but when I unplugged my ps3 and plugged it in and pushed power and eject it never gave me any new icons under games. I have been trying this for days and would like to get it to work.

Upvote 0
Ok I found out what I was doing wrong I was not at the 3.41 firmware. I updated to that and was able to get the two folders */app_home/PS3_Games
*Install Package Files. My issue now is with the */app_home/PS3_Games
folder when I try to open it it gives me an error message. The second folder holds nothing inside. What can I do to get the */app_home/PS3_Games
folder to work?

Upvote 0
Ok...I've figured out the problem that is most likely plaguing anyone who cant get backups to boot.

This issue stems from having game data on your machine from a backed up game which existed PRIOR to your backup copy being made. For example, if you own a game and have been playing it from the disc, any game update and or DL content you have will interfere with booting the game. You must delete ALL game content for the game you are trying to play as a backup (save games may be ok to keep) from your console before trying to run the backup or it wont work!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones