• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Need I say more?
Screw.jpg

Had one of those in my interior sidewall earlier this week.

View attachment 168188
Ouch!! At least mine was reparable. The guy that normally does my tire work is not open on Saturdays. He gets my business because he's a one man show in a little shop. I like to support such businesses. With my flat today, I went to a fairly new tire store in town called Discount Tires. I guess they are a chain. I was in and out of their establishment in 30 minutes and they charged me nothing to fix the flat on a tire they didn't sell. It's difficult to beat zero charge and they are five minutes from my home. Old man Alex will still get my business though he's twenty minutes away and would likely charge fifteen bucks. I like the guy and enjoy petting his one eyed cat while I wait.

I'm the nail in the sidewall king. They are always on the passenger side of my truck I pull my mow trailer with. I pull up in front of so many lawns every week... I clean the nails and screws up for everyone. :( I'm glad you had road hazard in place.

nail.jpg

After hurricane Ike, the 4 plex I was living at had some shingle damage. The owner had some yahoo do a patch job to fix them and the next day I had this in my tire. (I parked it next to the building that had shingle repairs done)

I called the Harley shop and inquired about getting the tube patched and he told me, "we do not patch tubes, we will put a new one in for you !"

The owner did not give me static when I gave him the bill for the repairs ...

Roofing nails are notorious for finding a tire to ruin. I live in the older part of my town. It's a paradise for roofing contractors with all of the vintage roofs. It's rare that I don't pass a property being reroofed at least once a week. The roofing nails are perfect for holding down shingles and turning up into a tire. Most all new asphalt shingles are applied with pneumatic nailers using a wide crowned staple. The old hand drive nails with the large flat head are deadly and are scattered everywhere with tear off / replacement roofs.

So after just having three small fillings in my teeth,nofun, I suddenly get tooth ache on both corners of my teeth, no fun, and my tounge is still slightly burnt from the coffee a spell ago, no fun, sooooooooo am I having fun? NOOOOO...
share no GIF

Intermitttents. Yesterday we got a cart in that intermittently misfires/backfires. It had a bad ignition coil for one, so it barely ran. The engine, a 13 HP Kawasaki FJ 400, a total pain to work on, takes 2 hours to be disassembled enough to remove the coil and replace it. That's fixed, you can actually drive it now, but now it's intermittently running rich. Cleaned the carb out, no change. That doesn't mean the carb is even good, as since Ethanol became a thing (by the way, Obama, thanks for that! SARCASM SELF-TEST COMPLETE) just cleaning does almost nothing. the floats are plastic too and not adjustable.

What's likely wrong is a worn camshaft causing the valves to intermittently change position, something I call 'valve-creep'. The camshaft in this engine is PLASTIC. why? seriously? a PLASTIC camshaft.

Nice not having to cut grass, but my neighbor and I are now dealing with an armadillo coming out at night tearing up the side yard we share looking for grubs.

Isn't it great. I mean expect for folks in your profession ;)
I suspect it bring a YES, hell yes, from most people.
Nice not having to cut grass, but my neighbor and I are now dealing with an armadillo coming out at night tearing up the side yard we share looking for grubs.
There are armadillos here but they are few in numbers. There were zero here when I was a child. They have slowly migrated North as the slow trend towards warmer temperatures has created new territory for them to live. The lawn nemesis here are moles. They harvest grubs as well. An early clue to a grub infestation is an uncommon amount of birds in your yard in comparison to your neighborhood lawns. Grubs morph into grass eating beetles so early grub treatment is essential.

not only is the entire camshaft and not just the gear made of plastic, but so is the oil-drain plug. I've seen more later model Briggs and Stratton engines using plastic camshafts as well.

MikeDT, a fan of Garage 54 as well, I see :)

Back
Top Bottom