• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Redux battery life AMAZING!!!

ducky1979

Android Expert
so ive been using redux 1.2 for a few days and i decided to test the battery out, first pic is using as is with the man u 1.4 kernel.
snap20110504_234545.png

then after this i wanted to see if using Juice Defender (private beta version) with ultimate juice would make it any better,
snap20110506_231717.png

as you can see, with juice defender i am BLOWN AWAY!!

ive made several calls a few texts, check facebook and searched the net quite a bit, the juice defender is set to schedule a data connection every 15 minutes.

What do you think guys??

I'm also using Redux rom. My phone currently stands at
1d 16h 13m 51s on battery. Battery at 52% and I've even been out geocaching using GPS.

Great Rom.

yep best I have had yet. Everything turned on. I thrash my phone (as you can imagine).

Tonight its the lowest its been for a while. 36%, 16h 23m, 2h 47m screen on.

I find Redux extremely good on battery.
I used the standard kernel with the leaked drivers and Hadron's RIL.
Strangely found ManUs kernel worse than the stock Kernel.

Decided to give Juice defender a go so got the Ultimate version and using custom settings.
Sound like it must help a bit even with disabling data and wifi when not needed.
Will report back after a couple of days when I've had a chance to test it.

I've been using Redux and have been impressed with the battery life as well.

I've just downloaded Juicedefender free to see how that goes, before deciding whether to buy the paid app.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the whole syncing thing with no data when the screen is off.
I've got it set to 1 hour.
So does that mean it forces the data sync once an hour after turning data back on.
Or do you just have to get lucky that the app decides to sync in that short period your phone has a connection.

If it's the latter I could go for quite a long time with no emails being picked up because the email sync time doesn't coincide with the time my data connection is active.

I THINK the apps that want to sync, just queue up and sync when data is turned on. I say I think, because I dont know for sure.

I get enough battery out my desire so I dont turn data off, ergo I cant confirm how turning data off affects sync.

I THINK the apps that want to sync, just queue up and sync when data is turned on. I say I think, because I dont know for sure.

I get enough battery out my desire so I dont turn data off, ergo I cant confirm how turning data off affects sync.

You might be right.
The phone seems to be fairly quick at retrieving mails when you wake it up but nothing arrives when the phone is asleep apart from during it's sync time.

Being a bit of a novice when it comes to roms and rooting devices i wonder if anyone could explain to me what this rom is actually doing in order to improve the battery life.

Thanks,
Mike.

Also, how do you get the graph at the top of your battery info page as i have not found this anywhere on my phone. Is it an option on only rooted phones?

Also, how do you get the graph at the top of your battery info page as i have not found this anywhere on my phone. Is it an option on only rooted phones?

I think it's a Gingerbread thing so at the moment yes the only way to get this on a Desire is to root and flash 2.3 ROM.

Its a bit cut down. Its battery efficient, plus its using an undervolted kernel (lower voltages for each CPU frequency) meaning that for the same work as a sense stock phone, it is drawing less power for the same things. This is because HTC are very liberal with their voltages. They assign much more power than is needed for each CPU frequency.

Also, the rom (and possibly other apps such as set cpu) is using intelligent cpu control in the form of cpu scaling governors that act differently to the default governors. The governors govern (funnily enough) when the CPU frequency needs to be upscaled to handle a particular task and when it needs to be downscaled.

As Kibbster says, the graph is standard in gingerbread

With Redux you definitely notice a better battery life. I will give Green Power [similar to Juice Defender] a go and let you know how I get on.

Edit: first impressions are good. 15hr 5m 49s and still on 51%. I haven't used the phone to call/speak much nor texted folk as much as normal but have played Wordsmith and Words with Friends [anyone want a game? :-) ] and have browsed the internet about the same as normal. I have GP set to turn on the wifi once every 15 mins. Not too sure what else it is doing but I am sure it has made a difference. However, will keep an eye on it a while longer to see how it goes.

With Redux you definitely notice a better battery life. I will give Green Power [similar to Juice Defender] a go and let you know how I get on.

just installed juice defender today and even though im unrooted so dont have this rom i have notice a considerable increase in battery life. Almost 2 hrs screen time out of 15 hrs and im at 77% :D

juice defender is good, with the paid app you get to select different levels of control, it even includes a cpu control if your rom allows it, the data sync can also so be set in the paid version to allow it to connect for longer periods, it allows every 5,15,30 minutes and 1 or 2 hours and then you can also set how long you want the data connection to stay open during the schedule sync in the form of 15 seconds 30's 1,2,5 minutes, as well as wifi control which uses location, and a gps control which turn gps off if inactive for a few minutes then reconnects it when you turn on the screen again, i personally have used juice defender for ages and do have the paid for ultimate juice, and i use the private test betas, as they seem to have more features but being betas dont always go as planned, i look forward to hearing how you you guys go on with it.
togger161 how do you achieve such good results? what kernal are you using?
this is how it went for me, this was taken at 10% battery left.
snap20110507_191808.png

The problem I'm finding is the settings don't seem to work on keeping the WiFi awake.
maybe I have a conflicting setting but can't for the life of me work our what I'm doing wrong.

The problem I'm finding is the settings don't seem to work on keeping the WiFi awake.
maybe I have a conflicting setting but can't for the life of me work our what I'm doing wrong.

if you mean you want it on when the screen is off you have to go to controls and select wifi under the keep enabled bit, if that isnt working then the easiest way is to switch wifi off then back on again, it will then be seen as user control and JD shouldnt touch it.

let me know anyway,

if you mean you want it on when the screen is off you have to go to controls and select wifi under the keep enabled bit, if that isnt working then the easiest way is to switch wifi off then back on again, it will then be seen as user control and JD shouldnt touch it.

let me know anyway,

The trouble is is want WiFi to stay awake when connected not all the time as generally when I'm on WiFi I'm near a charger.

Ah cool, wifi keep alive seems to have started functioning :D
Now I can sync and have instant wifi when on charge (actually it would be great if there was an option to keep wifi alive but only when on charge - that would be perfect.

EDIT:
You can set JD to automatically enable keep alive when charging.
Joy :D

I'm pretty impressed too. I did a test, left on wifi, gps, data and twitter updates every 15 minutes, email sync immediate and listen to spotify both online and offline. Made about an hour of calls, send a few texts and uploaded pictures to twitter. Basically,i was using the phone steady for an entire day. I have the cpu speed down slightly (883mhz) and have the powersave mode on...
17 hours, and the battery was at 35%... Shockingly good. Now, I can go out without my emergency charger that looks like a ladies private toy (power monkey, designs biggest cock up)

Honestly, best rom I've ever used.

By the way, how often should I calabrate the battery, and what would the best method (tried and tested!) To do it? Read all kinds of nonsense. Any thoughts?

Ta.

Back
Top Bottom