• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Redux battery life AMAZING!!!

dont think you can with the app. I just use the photobucket app to upload to photobucket and generate a link in img tags

Here you go William. :)

Attachments

• snap20110626_203448_renamed_11749.jpg
    snap20110626_203448_renamed_11749.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 108
The Desire S running stock HTC Sense (unrooted), 40 minutes of calls about 10 emails a bit of web data and 5 hours travel at speed and still I was at 52% batt.

Six hours airplane mode and still at 100%! ON STOCK SENSE!!! I'll root as soon as is practical AOSP should last a week.

To be honest i'm not a big user. Mainly web browsing, and email checking. Few txts and bit of poweramp. Not a gamer, never have been.

That's some efficient battery usage! 2 days!

I'm going to finally root my Desire as soon as my new SD Card comes in the mail. At the moment, I leave my house in the morning with 100% battery. Sit on a bus listening to music with web browsing for 1 hr 40 mins and by the time I reach my college, the battery is just hitting 60%. :\ 2.2

what have you guys found are the best settings on this rom when it comes to brightness, cpu etc to give the longest battery life

Would be good if we could all post up what we have it set at to help others eek that extra bit of life out of our battery's.

what have you guys found are the best settings on this rom when it comes to brightness, cpu etc to give the longest battery life

Would be good if we could all post up what we have it set at to help others eek that extra bit of life out of our battery's .

Kernel: ManU 1.4 HAVS AXI CFS

Custom VDD levels:

• 128Mhz 875-950mA
  • 245Mhz 875-975mA
  • 1113Mhz 1225-1300mA (Not used)
  • 1152Mhz 1250-1300mA (Not used)

SetCPU:

• Screen on 128Mhz - 1075Mhz
  • Screen off 128Mhz - 245Mhz
  • On Demand Governor (both)

AutoKiller:

• Hidden app 180MB RAM remaining
  • Content provider 190MB
  • Empty app 220MB

Autostarts:

• After startup - xda, Bluetooth share, QSI, Drocap, Maps, Documents to go, Google one time init, market,Photoshop
  • Connectivity changed-Dropbox network status receiver, photobucket network event receiver, market feedback agent
  • Application installed - maps
  • User present - Photobuvket user present receiver

Brightness: Tasker toggle between 0% and Auto (0 inside toggled to Auto outdoors)

i was hoping for better battery life with this rom, but its still not happening. i do accept ive got a bit of a rubbish battery tho, so want to make the most out of the settings.

ive looked at the above settings and dont know how to compare mine, so ill tell you what i can find.

my cpu settings are....
powersave mode
governor greyed out, but set at ondemand
min freq greyed out, set at 245
max greyed out, set at 998

thats all i can access ion there, but ive installed 'quick system info' which tells me....

kernel 2.6.37.4-redux-CFS-SVS vick@vick-desktop#13

theres plenty more info on there but not sure whats relevant.

can anyone spot anything there that can be improved?

my battery use is...

display 71%
cell standby 10%
phone idle 7%
voice calls 7%
maps 2%
android OS 2%

its been on 14hrs and is at 22% with light use. hardly any web surfing and a couple of calls, fair few texts.

thanks for any advice

You could download the manu havs axi sfs kernel

ok, ive looked in the stickies and cant see any step by steps for this. do i find the kernel on xda site, download a zip and just instal from recovery same as a rom?

and that would help my battery life? theres nothing in those settings i gave that can be improved?

thanks

EDIT: oh and just for my own understanding, could someone explain why a different kernel would save battery? i think i know its the heart of an operating system, but what would it actually do? and if theres better ones, why arent they included in a rom to start with?

thanks

ive been looking on the xda site on this thread
HTML:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=809328
but that kernel isnt listed.

is redux an AOSP rom? if so theres 4 different kernels listed, but not manu.

any idea how i can download it? and once ive got it do i just instal zip from recovery like a rom? will it overwrite the previous kernel? or do i need to wipe something first?

and the only way of going back to previous kernel would be a nandroid yes?

is there anywhere that explains why you would choose a particular kernel for a particular rom?

thanks for your help

It's in the sticky but referred to as eviollets kernel. Flash like a Rom but no need to wipe. Flashing something replaces anything of the same name

Kernel: ManU 1.4 HAVS AXI CFS

Custom VDD levels:

• 128Mhz 875-950mA
  • 245Mhz 875-975mA
  • 1113Mhz 1225-1300mA (Not used)
  • 1152Mhz 1250-1300mA (Not used)

SetCPU:

• Screen on 128Mhz - 1075Mhz
  • Screen off 128Mhz - 245Mhz
  • On Demand Governor (both)

AutoKiller:

• Hidden app 180MB RAM remaining
  • Content provider 190MB
  • Empty app 220MB

Autostarts:

• After startup - xda, Bluetooth share, QSI, Drocap, Maps, Documents to go, Google one time init, market,Photoshop
  • Connectivity changed-Dropbox network status receiver, photobucket network event receiver, market feedback agent
  • Application installed - maps
  • User present - Photobuvket user present receiver

Brightness: Tasker toggle between 0% and Auto (0 inside toggled to Auto outdoors)

SUroot, do you have any problems with Autokiller killing SETcpu?
Also, should "lower screen stating" and "Set on boot" be disabled on "CPU Settings" in Redux so it doesn't interfere with Setcpu?

Sorry for all the questions :D

SUroot, do you have any problems with Autokiller killing SETcpu?
Also, should "lower screen stating" and "Set on boot" be disabled on "CPU Settings" in Redux so it doesn't interfere with Setcpu?

Sorry for all the questions :D
Autokiller is not a task killer. It just cleans up unused processes so doesn't touch set CPU.

Whatever settings you set in redux CPU settings will be shown in set CPU and vice versa. They're just different interfaces to the same settings. Eg if you turn set on boot off in redux, you've turned it off in set CPU too

thanks for the d/load shauny, now got it installed thanks. just in my quest for knowledge again, SURoot, you say a flash replaces a file with same filename. yet manu would be a different filename to the one i had in already. or is there a file in the zip called kernel.exe or something which is the same in all kernels? no probs if you cant be bothered explaining, its not important as its worked. but i like understanding what im doing :-)

also, after looking at those optimum cpu settings above, i d/loaded setcpu to sd. i 'installed zip from sd card', but its not there in apps, and i cant see any way of knowing whether it actually has installed. it never came up with an 'instal complete' notification. has something gone wrong? its setcpu_2.20 zip file. that should work shouldnt it?

thanks

The kernel is many files inside the zip that flash to /system and /boot I think. The name of the zip is of no consequence. The files and directory structure in all kernels and Rom zips have the same filenames.

Set CPU is an app that usually is just installed manually. Not sure if you have a flashable zip or not. But even so just extract the zip and browse with a file manager. It will give the option to open with package installer. Set CPU is a widget that you have to add to homescreen

sorted thanks, and widget now on home screen :-)

one thing i was expectin that doesnt seem to be there is the ability to set it for screen off and screen on like you have.

my widget says max and min are 216, and when i open it, the big reading says 245 Mhz scaling ondemand (changed from conservative as thats what youre using :-), but underneath that it says max 729 and min 245.
so im not really understanding what settings ive actualy got.

how do i do the screen on and off settings to make them optimum like you?

thanks

EDIT: when i check back to the app, its changed to 'conservative' automatically. any idea why? bit baffled with it all tbh :-/

Back
Top Bottom