• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Redux battery life AMAZING!!!

Juice defender does really seem to help.
Apart from anything it makes my graph much tidier ;)
More than happy with the performance as well.
Reduxbattery.jpg

Really amazing result
@ togger161: Could you please share battery usage screenshot with such scenario? How many minutes your screen was on during that time?

Not any more, it hit 15% shortly afterwards and I recharged. Currently on 1d 5hs at 83%, but not used phone much - been at work (have a works mobile) Basically just 15 minutes on facebook, sickipedia, updates in market over wifi.

By the way, how often should I calabrate the battery, and what would the best method (tried and tested!) To do it? Read all kinds of nonsense. Any thoughts?

Ta.

Anyone? Just curious. It's a new battery, never been calibrated before.

I know the process (correct me if I'm wrong)

-Charge to 100% while the phone is on (till thon led is green)
-Unplug, switch the phone off
-Plug the charger back in, and (if the led goes all orange and whatnot) wait until the led goes all green again.
-Unplug and boot into recovery
-Re-calibrate the battery
-Robert is your mammys brother

Is that right?

And how often should this be done?

Thanks, you lovely folks.

Anyone? Just curious. It's a new battery, never been calibrated before.

I know the process (correct me if I'm wrong)

-Charge to 100% while the phone is on (till thon led is green)
-Unplug, switch the phone off
-Plug the charger back in, and (if the led goes all orange and whatnot) wait until the led goes all green again.
-Unplug and boot into recovery
-Re-calibrate the battery
-Robert is your mammys brother

Is that right?

And how often should this be done?

Thanks, you lovely folks.

Only if you're having really odd battery behaviour. It's not something that needs to be done regularly

I've been trialling Redux since Saturday night (in absence of a GV update ;)) and TBH I'm not so far noticing a significant difference in battery life. This is with the same kernel, drivers, ril that I was using with GV, and without using the "powersave" mode (which seems to reduce the max clock to 800 MHz, not sure what else), so as to see what the differences just due to the ROM are. Battery life is good, but falls within the range I'd expect for GV2.2 with the sort of usage I've had in the last 25 hours (currently at 51%, just over 2 hours screen on, 2:50 running).

Of course 1 day is just anecdotal, so it will need longer to be sure, but it isn't dramatic. Guess these things depend on usage. The thing that I do notice is that the fraction of time running at 128 MHz is higher than I'd seen previously (upper 80s %).

It seems to me that the power usage with screen on was lower than GV. When I put it into auto brightness (usually have it set to "dim") it seems about the same.

I'm definitely seeing and extra 10% left over at the end of the day than GV 2.0 (which I think was my last GV)

I usually have the screen at 40% (assuming both interpret that the same), auto when that is too dim. I expected my screen-on time to be less than yours :)

It does work very nicely - if I'd met this first I wonder whether I'd consider changing back. Possibly not, as I'd be tempted to use the Oxygen hboot with it. And the script for dealing with lack of cache space is neat - I've copied that so I can use it in other ROMs in future. So I think I'll keep this until GV2.3, then swap back & compare.

It depends on how busy I am at work and how slow this forum is when I am travelling to and from work.

Its hard to put a typical day down. It can be anywhere between 1.5 Hours and 2.75 Hours. Rarely above that but sometimes I can get upto and over 3 hours.

I dont really watch videos or anything. I generally use it for forum use.

It depends on how busy I am at work and how slow this forum is when I am travelling to and from work.

Its hard to put a typical day down. It can be anywhere between 1.5 Hours and 2.75 Hours. Rarely above that but sometimes I can get upto and over 3 hours.

I dont really watch videos or anything. I generally use it for forum use.

Good because lots of us mortals need ROM and rooting help, so it's good you are "on call" ;)

Hahah.

Well if I had a more challenging job, I would have to recoil from forum life a little.

Using GV 2.2 myself, and just installed Juice Defender. The downside is that now it takes 10sec to connect to 3g, and the connection is off unless I switch on the screen (but I check for emails like every 20min)...on the plus side, I'm now always getting more than 2 days of battery life.

Using the stock Kernel, and my record (today) is 2d 13hrs and still having 18% left before I started charging again. As for usage:

1) I check for emails every 20min for a good 16hrs per day.
2) I spend around 30-45min surfing the net per day.
3) Wifi is always enabled for 6-7hrs per day...and 3g is disabled during that time.
4) Maybe one 5min call once an hour on average...
5) Tons of texts.
6) I also access dropbox several times per day, and listen to music for 1hr per day.
7) No games, no videos...and no ebook reading (got a Kindle).
8) Screen brightness is set to "auto".
9) Screen shows as using 49% of the battery...

Pretty impressed so far :)

Haven't tried Oxygen or Redux...but not sure if they'd be that much better. I also haven't calibrated my battery after installing GV, maybe I should do that and see if it gets even better.

No screenshot yet because I'm a donkey and stuck it into the charger before thinking about taking it.

As mentioned in an earlier thread I have been trying out the Green Power app and have noticed very good results. I have it managing my wifi only [Virgin Mobile 3g in Belfast is pants and not worth monitoring!! that's another story :mad:] and it can be adjusted for various times [5 min to 4hrs]. Mine is set to come on every 15 mins for a minute, when the lockscreen is unlocked and to stay on if the power is on. Not sure I would want anything more than that.

Worth looking at.

Using GV 2.2 myself, and just installed Juice Defender. The downside is that now it takes 10sec to connect to 3g, and the connection is off unless I switch on the screen (

have you got the paid for version coz i find the mobile data connection to be really quick (im using the private beta version) and also with the paid version you can set it to schedule a connection to enable emails, facebook, twitter etc to sync, all of which you can specify the time for, its under the advanced profile, im not sure how much of JD you can use without the ultimate juice installed?

hope this helps, but if you are having problems go here and there is a good forum for any issues.

Just installed this one, getting my phone set up the way I like it then will see how the battery life goes.

snap20110511_232434.png

snap20110511_232449.png

Not used the phone much today, few texts, couple of calls and been out geocaching. Screen uptime around 1 hour. Battery at 60% after 1d 16hrs.

I use Zeam as my launcher as it's quite a small program and pretty quick. No graphical glitches etc. I run Fancy Widgets pro for the clock and the weather. I also put power widget on the home screen. This is because I always return to the home screen before locking it and I can ensure I have turned everything off first (ie GPS if I've been out geocaching)

@togger - how do you get 60% on your power control? I am on Redux and there isn't an option for the battery as far as I can see on the Power Control widget.

First real look at my battery life with Redux.

This was with over 3 hours screen time, some texting, surfing, games, calls etc...

snap20110515_160419.png

what settings do you guys have for this sorta battery life ? Did you leave it as the rom came or did you play with the cpu settings and switch on powersave mode etc?

I have used green power for a while now and like it, so thats back on but anything folks can advise me on settings to help battery life without affecting anything else too much would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom