• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Release date: 6/24 nationwide; 6/21 for SP members.

what does the pyramid have over e3d? e3d has all and more.. right?

A better question being why would Sprint want or need a gimp version of its flagship phone?

Classic example of the grass is always greener. Here Sprint has the most kick ass phone of the year, and people are wishing for a watered down version on another carrier. Makes no sense.

Upvote 0
A better question being why would Sprint want or need a gimp version of its flagship phone?

Classic example of the grass is always greener. Here Sprint has the most kick ass phone of the year, and people are wishing for a watered down version on another carrier. Makes no sense.

Sir, if you would be kind enough to read WHY people are wanting this... We want a recessed camera, and not one that takes up 1/3 the back of the device. It's simple wishes. Hell, I think most would take the innards of the EVO 3D inside the original EVO casing just as well. Aside from removing 3D features, I am not clear how exactly the Pyramid is watered down?

Upvote 0
Sir, if you would be kind enough to read WHY people are wanting this... We want a recessed camera, and not one that takes up 1/3 the back of the device. It's simple wishes. Hell, I think most would take the innards of the EVO 3D inside the original EVO casing just as well. Aside from removing 3D features, I am not clear how exactly the Pyramid is watered down?

Based upon the current specs of what we know about the Pyramid, which obviously can change

Pyramid
CPU: MSM 8260
RAM: 768 MB
FFC: 1.2 MP

Evo 3D
CPU: MSM8660
RAM: 1GB
FFC: 1.3 MP

If doesn't matter how you try and justify it, the Evo 3D is a better phone with or without 3D. The Pyramid is a gimp version of the Evo 3D, but hey, at least you have that recessed camera.

Upvote 0

Not wishing for anyone less than the evo3d, but wishing for something to come out soon because my current windows mobile 6.5 device is turning into a paper weight.

Upvote 0
Not wishing for anyone less than the evo3d, but wishing for something to come out soon because my current windows mobile 6.5 device is turning into a paper weight.

You and me both.

I am utterly disgusted by my HTC Hero, which I have owned for 14 months now, but the Evo 3D is the first phone to represent a significant enough leap ahead to make upgrading worth the price of admission.

Upvote 0
Based upon the current specs of what we know about the Pyramid, which obviously can change

Pyramid
CPU: MSM 8260
RAM: 768 MB
FFC: 1.2 MP

Evo 3D
CPU: MSM8660
RAM: 1GB
FFC: 1.3 MP

If doesn't matter how you try and justify it, the Evo 3D is a better phone with or without 3D. The Pyramid is a gimp version of the Evo 3D, but hey, at least you have that recessed camera.

Comparing those specs, I don't expect much of a performance difference. I suppose we will have to see. By definition, I suppose it's gimped. One can now say that the EVO is a gimped verion of the Thunderbolt as well under those same grounds. IMO this isn't the case. Not trying to justify anything other than express my distaste for the enormous protruding camera.

Please also don't disregard the fact that I did mention we would be more than happy with the 3D in the current EVO's body. Yes, I checked, I did say that.

Upvote 0
Comparing those specs, I don't expect much of a performance difference. I suppose we will have to see. By definition, I suppose it's gimped. One can now say that the EVO is a gimped verion of the Thunderbolt as well under those same grounds.

The evo 4g is a little different being that it was released almost a year ago and the thunderbolt was released a few weeks ago. The pyramid and the evo 3d are suppose to be released around the same general time frame.

Upvote 0
The evo 4g is a little different being that it was released almost a year ago and the thunderbolt was released a few weeks ago. The pyramid and the evo 3d are suppose to be released around the same general time frame.

Listen. I am not trying to argue, I am simply stating that people still love the Thunderbolt in a day when much more powerful phones are being released (I hear complaints about battery oife, but not that the phone should be leaps and bounds more powerful than it is... yet compared to other phones out today it very well COULD be many times better, faster, etc.). The differences hardware-wise between the pyramid and the 3D are negligible (outside of the whole 3d screen and photo/video capture). Essentially, I am contending that the pyramid really isn't the watered down version of the 3D that some claim it to be. Again, these are only my opinions/concerns, but they seem to be shared by others as well.

Upvote 0
Listen. I am not trying to argue, I am simply stating that people still love the Thunderbolt in a day when much more powerful phones are being released (I hear complaints about battery oife, but not that the phone should be leaps and bounds more powerful than it is... yet compared to other phones out today it very well COULD be many times better, faster, etc.). The differences hardware-wise between the pyramid and the 3D are negligible (outside of the whole 3d screen and photo/video capture). Essentially, I am contending that the pyramid really isn't the watered down version of the 3D that some claim it to be. Again, these are only my opinions/concerns, but they seem to be shared by others as well.

I wasn't trying to argue with you at all I was just stating that your example about the evo 4g being gimped version of the thunderbolt was a bad example, and it really was. As far as the pyramid goes, the specs on that are pretty good too and it gives consumers more to choose from. On a personal note I will agree with you that I really hate the camera being slightly raised above the rest of the phone. That was my biggest issue when I first saw the evo 4g and when I first saw the evo3d all I could do is laugh and ask myself why in the hell are they doing this again?

Upvote 0
I wasn't trying to argue with you at all I was just stating that your example about the evo 4g being gimped version of the thunderbolt was a bad example, and it really was. As far as the pyramid goes, the specs on that are pretty good too and it gives consumers more to choose from. On a personal note I will agree with you that I really hate the camera being slightly raised above the rest of the phone. That was my biggest issue when I first saw the evo 4g and when I first saw the evo3d all I could do is laugh and ask myself why in the hell are they doing this again?

I still don't see it as a bad example. This phone is coming out nearly a year after the EVO with almost the same specs and people are ok with it. Somehow we are supposed to be accepting of this but not about two phones coming out at almost the same time with very similar specs (EVO 3d v Pyramid)? Essentially, I think we can agree that there isn't anywhere near a year's worth of tech advancement between the EVO and the TBolt. Usually, the more time between two devices, the more advancements we expect. The point is, if people are ok with the differences between the Thunderbolt and EVO this far in the game (nearly a year apart with no MAJOR differences), then the differences between the 3D and pyramid should be neglible as well, right?

Upvote 0
Both the pyramid and E3D are going to be more than powerful enough to last anybody for their 2 year contract. I think the extra ram that the E3D is getting may as well be a wash due to the fact its probably going to be used soley for the 3D applications. Both phones will hold their value for quite a while. With Gingerbread and eventually ice cream actually utilizing the Dual core, there wont be a reason to upgrade to a "quadcore" phone, or any other random gimmick they throw in.

All i want from any android device from this point on, is a buttery smooth UI, same quality found on both apple/windows phones...Its almost unacceptable that we still have lag

Upvote 0
I still don't see it as a bad example. This phone is coming out nearly a year after the EVO with almost the same specs and people are ok with it. Somehow we are supposed to be accepting of this but not about two phones coming out at almost the same time with very similar specs (EVO 3d v Pyramid)? Essentially, I think we can agree that there isn't anywhere near a year's worth of tech advancement between the EVO and the TBolt. Usually, the more time between two devices, the more advancements we expect. The point is, if people are ok with the differences between the Thunderbolt and EVO this far in the game (nearly a year apart with no MAJOR differences), then the differences between the 3D and pyramid should be neglible as well, right?

I agree, I guess the only saving grace for the thunderbolt is the fact that the LTE performance on it is pretty rock solid compared to the spotty service offered by sprint in comparison, not to mention that it can also do voice and data at the same time over 3g which may not be important to some but its still a feature that sprint has yet to implement except for over 4g of course. I am in atlanta and I have a evo 4g and my sister has a thunderbolt and where ever we go her 4g signal is way more consistent than my wimax signal. But I do agree with your post.

Upvote 0
I agree, I guess the only saving grace for the thunderbolt is the fact that the LTE performance on it is pretty rock solid compared to the spotty service offered by sprint in comparison, not to mention that it can also do voice and data at the same time over 3g which may not be important to some but its still a feature that sprint has yet to implement except for over 4g of course. I am in atlanta and I have a evo 4g and my sister has a thunderbolt and where ever we go her 4g signal is way more consistent than my wimax signal. But I do agree with your post.

I wouldn't fret over that just yet. Verizon's network hasn't been inundated with millions of 4G users yet. ;)

Upvote 0
With Gingerbread and eventually ice cream actually utilizing the Dual core, there wont be a reason to upgrade to a "quadcore" phone, or any other random gimmick they throw in.

Power management (for power users) is about all I can think of here. This is attractive to some. I am certain we will start seeing more cpu/gpu intesive games as well. iOS has reigned supreme for a while, but this won't last forever (as is already evident with the games coming out).

Upvote 0
How is sprint and their new phone discounting?

iPhone has been discounting the new models for exisiting customers only a year into their contracts. Does sprint do the same? Bought the original EVO on release date. Would like to upgrade to the EVO 3D when it's released...

iPhone hasn;t been discounting anything. It's ATT that has done that... and they just recently announced the large discounts are coming to an end. There will still be discounts of sorts, but not quite the same as signing a brand new 2 year contract. Sprint has also taken this away from us in the last few months (they used to be a year upgrade plan).

Upvote 0
How is sprint and their new phone discounting?

iPhone has been discounting the new models for exisiting customers only a year into their contracts. Does sprint do the same? Bought the original EVO on release date. Would like to upgrade to the EVO 3D when it's released...
I've never been a Sprint premier customer, but I know that after 1 year on your contract, you get $75 towards a new phone. The price of the EVO 3D will be $250. Therefore, you will have to fork over $175 for one. I've been sitting on my 2 year since November, waiting for the next big thing. I'm gonna be at the store opening day for this one.

Upvote 0
I've never been a Sprint premier customer, but I know that after 1 year on your contract, you get $75 towards a new phone. The price of the EVO 3D will be $250. Therefore, you will have to fork over $175 for one. I've been sitting on my 2 year since November, waiting for the next big thing. I'm gonna be at the store opening day for this one.

no, pretty sure You will have to pay the the new customer price, 200, 250, or whatever the new customer price is for the EVO 3D, if you have your 2 year upgrade available. You dont get an additional 75 off of that. There typically is no way to get a phone for less then the new customer price (that i know of).

Upvote 0
no, pretty sure You will have to pay the the new customer price, 200, 250, or whatever the new customer price is for the EVO 3D, if you have your 2 year upgrade available. You dont get an additional 75 off of that. There typically is no way to get a phone for less then the new customer price (that i know of).
Sorry, my paragraph was a bit confusing. I'm saying that in MY case, the phone would be $250, and my 2 year upgrade would knock that down to $100 for me. The guy I was quoting would have a ONE year upgrade, knocking the price down to $175, which he would have to pay out of pocket. At least, this is how my dad and I have upgraded for the past 3 years with sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones