• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Release date: 6/24 nationwide; 6/21 for SP members.

Sorry, my paragraph was a bit confusing. I'm saying that in MY case, the phone would be $250, and my 2 year upgrade would knock that down to $100 for me. The guy I was quoting would have a ONE year upgrade, knocking the price down to $175, which he would have to pay out of pocket. At least, this is how my dad and I have upgraded for the past 3 years with sprint.

So when you upgraded to your EVO it only cost you $125?

Upvote 0
My EVO cost me 200 (same as new customer price), and I had full upgrade eligibility. My bro got a new EVO with a new line and it cost him 200. My friend got hers for 200 with full upgrade benefits. Typically, I dont think you can get the phones for less (without some inside deal). I would be willing to bet the same will go for the EVO 3D.

Upvote 0
My EVO cost me 200 (same as new customer price), and I had full upgrade eligibility. My bro got a new EVO with a new line and it cost him 200. My friend got hers for 200 with full upgrade benefits. Typically, I dont think you can get the phones for less (without some inside deal). I would be willing to bet the same will go for the EVO 3D.

They have had some special deals throughout the past year that allowed some people to pick the EVO up for much cheaper than the $199.

Radioshack had a deal over the holidays to pick up the EVO for $99. I only know this because a couple of my relatives picked it up at that time.

Upvote 0
They have had some special deals throughout the past year that allowed some people to pick the EVO up for much cheaper than the $199.

Radioshack had a deal over the holidays to pick up the EVO for $99. I only know this because a couple of my relatives picked it up at that time.

Right, and I am aware of that. Just like Amazon often has better pricing from time to time. But, the topic is regarding the Sprint premier 75 dollar 1 year discount (and maybe the 150 2 year discount, I'm a bit confused). These sort of things dont really apply to a special you get at Radio Shack or Amazon. Although, they're good options!

Upvote 0

That's what I thought. Likely the "$75 off with a one year" deal is actualy $75 off of retail (which is likely about $600).

Upvote 0
iPhone hasn;t been discounting anything. It's ATT that has done that... and they just recently announced the large discounts are coming to an end. There will still be discounts of sorts, but not quite the same as signing a brand new 2 year contract. Sprint has also taken this away from us in the last few months (they used to be a year upgrade plan).

yeah...I meant at&t. Well, I wish they would do one or the other. I guess it should come down to getting rid of both the contracts and the discounts.

Upvote 0
the only SPRINT discount that helps new customers that port over... $125.

all other SPRINT customers will only get the 2 yr contract deal... if you are able to get it.

I got/understand the 2 year part, but when I check my upgrade status on my phone, it also mentions an available 75 dollar discount at 1 year. But, I will soon be Sprint Premier Gold, so I will always get the new customer price at 1 year. right?

Upvote 0
I think so, too. although i never understood the way they do the 2 year ($150) discount, cuz that would make the EVO 450, yet they will let ya have it for 200.

Usually, the way that Sprint does it, they have an "instant" discount of $100 or $150 and then the mail-in-rebate on top of that. The additional $150 off to make the EVO $200 is the "instant" discount that Sprint gives.

As we all know, this can be avoided by going straight to Best Buy, Radio Shack, now Amazon, Wirefly, etc...

Only real reason I can see Sprint sticking with the MIR is to ensure that they'll have a customer locked in for 2 years, before they get their MIR back. The MIR's always get to the customer between 4-6 weeks after Sprint receives them, so that would be past the 30 day trial period.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
More and more rumors coming out today that Iphone 5 wont be released until September.

Now if I were Sprint I would release the EVO 3D around Middle to late July. Has to be more than 30 days before Iphone so people cant return the EVO for the Iphone.

I know some people will disagree but I really really think that with the Iphone not coming out until September Sprint will wait a little longer to release E3D. I bet it will be a July release instead of the June.

Upvote 0
More and more rumors coming out today that Iphone 5 wont be released until September.

Now if I were Sprint I would release the EVO 3D around Middle to late July. Has to be more than 30 days before Iphone so people cant return the EVO for the Iphone.

I know some people will disagree but I really really think that with the Iphone not coming out until September Sprint will wait a little longer to release E3D. I bet it will be a July release instead of the June.

i see your point..
but here is the exact opposite theory.

if you are on the fence...
if you wanted the iphone.. but have heard great things about android and evo and sprint.... wanted to try one or some of those things... but it was more than 30days... then you might not do it. to risky!

these poeple might not take the chance to try android/evo/sprint. they will just wait for the iphone.

but if it was within the 30day window... say 25 days.. they might get the evo3d to test.. android evo and sprint. with enough time to explore and see how great it is. they might not want to give it up!

Upvote 0
Actually, I don't have an EVO. I'm still running a Blackberry 8330. Nearly indestructible. But anyway, that's what the Sprint reps told me.
I must have had a lemon 8330... I had to pull the battery every couple of hours. Upgraded to the Hero and so far I like Android but there are some features Blackberry sticks to that I truly miss.

Upvote 0
i see your point..
but here is the exact opposite theory.

if you are on the fence...
if you wanted the iphone.. but have heard great things about android and evo and sprint.... wanted to try one or some of those things... but it was more than 30days... then you might not do it. to risky!

these poeple might not take the chance to try android/evo/sprint. they will just wait for the iphone.

but if it was within the 30day window... say 25 days.. they might get the evo3d to test.. android evo and sprint. with enough time to explore and see how great it is. they might not want to give it up!

That's another theory, but looking at it from a business perspective, what's more important to Sprint is the locked in 2 year contract, rather than the actual phone sale itself. If a customer is given the opportunity to jump ship to an iPhone, not only does Sprint lose the phone sale, but they lose the contract commitment. If they release the phone well ahead of another smartphone's release, there wouldn't be anything for that customer to compare against. Releasing a phone within the return timeframe of potentially its biggest competitor puts the customer in a position of having to make a firm commitment.

Upvote 0
Usually, the way that Sprint does it, they have an "instant" discount of $100 or $150 and then the mail-in-rebate on top of that. The additional $150 off to make the EVO $200 is the "instant" discount that Sprint gives.

As we all know, this can be avoided by going straight to Best Buy, Radio Shack, now Amazon, Wirefly, etc...

who would have the cheapest? sprint with the instant discount or going to one of these listed above?

Upvote 0
That's another theory, but looking at it from a business perspective, what's more important to Sprint is the locked in 2 year contract, rather than the actual phone sale itself. If a customer is given the opportunity to jump ship to an iPhone, not only does Sprint lose the phone sale, but they lose the contract commitment. If they release the phone well ahead of another smartphone's release, there wouldn't be anything for that customer to compare against. Releasing a phone within the return timeframe of potentially its biggest competitor puts the customer in a position of having to make a firm commitment.

I think by beginning of July we will know about the new Iphone. And I THINK Sprint will release the E3D right around the end of July beginning of August.

or

Depending how badly Sprint wants to put the E3D up against the new Iphone, Sprint my wait until Apple finalizes their plans on release before Sprint announces their plans to release.

Remember the Evo was released EXACTLY 3 weeks before the Iphone 4.

Upvote 0

Only real reason I can see Sprint sticking with the MIR is to ensure that they'll have a customer locked in for 2 years, before they get their MIR back. The MIR's always get to the customer between 4-6 weeks after Sprint receives them, so that would be past the 30 day trial period.

Thanks for the info. Although I think I read on AndoroidCentral that Sprint is going to start doing all instant rebates, even at stores, therefore you wont have to mail anything in... just as if you bought it at BB or TheShack. :) This would be nice.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Although I think I read on AndoroidCentral that Sprint is going to start doing all instant rebates, even at stores, therefore you wont have to mail anything in... just as if you bought it at BB or TheShack. :) This would be nice.
Yeah, Phandroid had an article about it as well. Sprint's following Big Red's move.

Upvote 0
Speculation, in my own humble opinion...

The iPhone 5 is going to release between Early June and Late September. If Sprint wants to lock consumers in, they must release the EVO at least 2 weeks prior to Apple realeasing the new iPhone. Following this logic, and assuming the rumor of it not being released until September is true, then we may all be in for a longer wait than anticipated. However, if the iPhone 5 is going to follow the past 4, then we can expect a release date of the EVO 3D right around the last week of May (at the EARLIEST) to the second week of June (towards the back end of optimal marketing time). If any of this is to be true, then we must expect more news of the EVO 3D to begin floating around within the next 2-3 weeks, FCC clearing in 4-5 weeks, and finalization around the second to last week of May.

However, this is all pure speculation from a marketing standpoint. Feel free to critique this any way you like.

Upvote 0

If they do, maybe I can FINALLY go through my Corporate purchasing to make it more convenient.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones