• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replace HTC Lockscreen, an Incredible Find!

A small annoyance I get but certainly not deal breaking.

I have switchpro on the lockscreen and when unlocking sometimes the first position on the widget is highlighted orange. Tapping on the screen removes the highlight but makes me think i might have turned wifi on while in my pocket.

Just noticed this as well. Minor niggle. Probably easily fixed in the next update!

Upvote 0
A small annoyance I get but certainly not deal breaking.

I have switchpro on the lockscreen and when unlocking sometimes the first position on the widget is highlighted orange. Tapping on the screen removes the highlight but makes me think i might have turned wifi on while in my pocket.

i was getting this with the trackball waking. when i would wake with trackball (when it would respond), it would orange highlight the first entry i had on the screen. not always, but sometimes. and usually only with the trackball waking. and i've noticed that if you hit your trackball again after waking it, it will open whatever the first widget on your lockscreen is (again, most of the time...the trackball response is hit or miss). try it, it's fun. ;-) kidding...i don't think this is a feature on purpose.

Upvote 0
+1 I figured this out last night. When you initially specify a timeout for the WidgetLocker it changes the system setting as well. I had the exact same problem and fixed it by resettign the timeout option in the system settings.

thanks to you both on this. now i've got my regular settings to 1 minute and the lockscreen to 30 seconds.

however, i still cannot get the "screen on" app/widget to work with widget locker on. widget locker overrides the app, so the screen will not stay on. but here's the kicker...it only overrides it if i use the screen on app via widget or shortcut. if i go into my apps list and select it there, it works. but if i try to use the widget or just a home screen shortcut, widget locker overrides it. it's frustrating, since i use this app to keep my screen on during driving, and i'd like to just be able to quickly turn it on (that being the entire point of the app/widget). i have a feeling the dev, though a really nice guy, isn't going to spend a lot of time making his app work with my one wonky screen on app, so...grrrr. not sure what to do on this.

Upvote 0
lol take a pic and post if you do this :cool:

Lol. right now I'm just sticking with the Red motif, there really isnt any room for the logo.:p

20080725153716.jpg

Upvote 0
does anyone else have a problem hitting the home button twice to get to the pop up home screen view? i have noticed that when i'm using widget locker, it takes a few hits on the home button before i get the pop up view. i know i am making contact, too, because i have the haptic feedback happen. it takes several hits before i get it to go to the pop up view. anyone else? pretty sure this is not a problem with the phone, as i use this fairly often and have had no problems before installing the app. thanks.

Upvote 0
does anyone else have a problem hitting the home button twice to get to the pop up home screen view? i have noticed that when i'm using widget locker, it takes a few hits on the home button before i get the pop up view. i know i am making contact, too, because i have the haptic feedback happen. it takes several hits before i get it to go to the pop up view. anyone else? pretty sure this is not a problem with the phone, as i use this fairly often and have had no problems before installing the app. thanks.

Yes I have noticed the same thing. I just assumed it was like that for everybody. Small trade off for what we get IMO. So I have just resorted to Leap which is wayyyy cooler than hitting home 2x anyways. I have just always been to lazy to do it. :eek:

Upvote 0
Hey all. I've been a bit swamped working on WidgetLocker 1.2, due in a few days, and responding to emails so I hadn't checked back. I subscribed now so I'll be able to keep a closer eye on the thread. Also feel free to email me (and even post my reply here if you want).

when i initially start the phone, it will be using the HTC Sense swipe
This is true. WidgetLocker 1.1.2 (current version) will not appear when you first start up, but after your phone has started then it will activate when the screen goes off. WidgetLocker 1.2 will appear at boot.

But right now, not being able to access some of my HTC widgets is a deal-breaker.
HTC widgets aren't really widgets, HTC doesn't let any program but their own use them. It's unfortunate but I don't think there's anything I can do, it has to be fixed by HTC.

Will it ever be possible to use Easy Wake Mode with a pattern lock?
WidgetLocker 1.2 :)

right now the app seems to override any other apps or your phone settings in screen timeout.
This is true and was a mistake on my part. WidgetLocker 1.2 has an option to disable WidgetLocker's messing with the screen timeout. It also fixes the bug where sometimes the system setting gets changed by mistake.

another issue, though, is there does not seem to be any way to disable or close the app in a true manner without manually killing it
I'll check on this. But also if you hit the back-button after manually launching WidgetLocker (Tool Mode), it will exit the process rather than move to background. It won't necessarily quit the service though.

Yeah I'm looking into this. I think I'll just disable the trackball focus, then I can allow it to act as an unlock also (optional).

does anyone else have a problem hitting the home button twice to get to the pop up home screen view?
This is an issue with the WLocker Home Helper and Sense UI. I'm working on it and I believe it's better in the 1.2 beta but it's not 100% yet. Still investigating.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack the thread but I just saw "GOTO" in another thread, has anyone used it and can compare to WidgetLocker?

i just looked at it online: GOTO - Home

it works with pattern unlock, and it allows you to replace the lockscreen background. but it doesn't allow the use of widgets or have any customizable features. it doesn't allow you to wake from other buttons. and it uses gmail as one of the slide lock items, so if you don't use gmail (i don't), then one of the items on the lockscreen is useless to you.

it's interesting, and no doubt some people will find it useful, but it's both more expensive (2.99) and does not do all the things that people here seem to love about widget locker. i think i'll pass and wait for wl's updates.

Upvote 0
Question, what are the HTC widgets people are most interested in and why?
I know the Sense Clock is a big one (And many users are happy with Fancy Widget or Sense Analog Clock as replacements). But what others are popular?

i'd love to have the htc mail app widget work on the lock screen. it's the one that shows how many messages you have with a little number on the icon. i can currently put it on wl, and it takes me to my mail app no problem, but it doesn't update the number on the icon. i don't use any other sense widgets that i'd want to have right on the lockscreen. the 1x4 calendar widget (third choice of the three versions) might be cool to have, though.

Upvote 0
And what are the widgets for the unread count

EDIT: Nevermind i found it. Thanks for the app idea :) too bad it doesn't show email count besides gmail

That is executive assistant which is a free and a paid version i have the free. It's very customizable as to what you want.

You'll want to also dnld the add on for pop/imap library if you want pop email notification like gidget was talking about. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones