• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] CM7 Nightlies EVO Community

SHO_ONE

Android Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've been searching for quite awhile trying to find a good thread on Cyanogenmod 7's rom for the EVO. I know we can go to XDA, but that isn't the case. Being that we're here, why not inform this community of issues we're experiencing and help each other out. XDA is great, but this is the forum I visit most. I'd like to hear from everyone here what they like, hate and wish would change for CM7. I wouldn't know how to update links, but I'll do what I can to provide what I can as information become available. If a Mod wishes to help I'd appreciate it. When I search for CM7 nightly news I see the Incredible has an excellent thread going. Can we get one for the EVO to move along too?

A link to the Cyanogenmod 7 forum for HTC EVO:
HTC Evo - CyanogenMod Forum

A link to XDA Forums for CM7 Here:
[DEV/GUIDE][01/14] Compile Cm7 on Evo | We're all here for the Kangbang! - xda-developers

The latest Build for Cyanogenmod 7 can be found here:
CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

While GApps can be found here:
Index of /google-apps/

Here you can find a ***possible fix for GPS*** I haven't tried it yet
[Official] CyanogenMod 7 discussion - Page 29 - Android Forums

Edit****

Added the link from today (2/25/2011) from Cyanogen's page
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/htc-evo

As per Adidude on androidcentral.com forum

"Everything is working for me now except for the 4g and HDMI which are known since they are not in the firmware yet. I did the workaround for the GPS and it is working for the 1st time since version 7 or 8 for me. Real stable on 17. I do not plan to update until at least the RC now. Since it aint broke why try to fix it?"

Please add whatever you know and have learned. Know that I'm not trying to do anything more than to create a central place for the EVO and the community to find the info we need. I'm currently using CM 6.1.2 because GPS isn't working and Sprints Visual Voicemail wasn't working either. My fix was to download and installed Google Voice and I use it for my voicemails... Perfect alternative to Sprints Visual Voicemail.

I hope this Thread grows in hopes to serve our community well!

This came from garrettm of the CyanogenMod Forums for a GPS workaround for the time being; for thoes who really need it.

I understand when most folks have said GPS works they are referring to lock. I am talking about tracking! I drove around the neighborhood and google maps tracked me perfectly (with a little label saying 'accurate to within 20 meters').

Admittedly, it was a 5 minute drive. I have a 3 hour one later today and I will test it again. I will use the navigation and report back.

You will need:
1. A 'sense' ROM currently running on your phone. (Matlock: If you have your Sense Backup, use that.)
2. MSL reader installed (get it from the market)
2. Have CM7 (build 17 worked for me) and the latest gapps (I used the ones from 2011-01-15) downloaded to your SD card

Steps:
1. Open MSL reader and get your MSL (jot it down)
2. Launch phone dialer and dial ##GPSCLRX#
3. It will ask you for your MSL, enter it.
4. Upon hitting OK, your phone will just say reboot in 10 secs, let it reboot.

Phew!
5. After it has rebooted, boot to recovery (i used clockworkmod 2.6.0.1)
6. Nandroid backup (if you are so inclined)
7. Wipe cache, Dalvik and then wipe data/factory reset
4. Flash CM7 b17 from your sd-card
9. Flash gapps
10. Reboot and walk through set-up. Your gapps will be downloaded from the market. Wait for all the downloads to complete.
11. Use GPS as normal and enjoy the GPS goodness

I am not a developer but this worked for me and I hope it works for you too.

Upvote 0
This came from garrettm of the CyanogenMod Forums for a GPS workaround for the time being; for thoes who really need it.

Ok, so I tested this out and it works; however not fully. When following these steps you will find that your GPS work perfectly fine, but when and if you update your rom build it seems to break the fix. This is what I did and here are my theories. I downloaded and flashed the latest Fresh rom, followed the steps to the GPS fix and once I was done I rebooted back into recovery and wiped the data and both cache and dalvik cache. Finally I nand restored CM7 build 20. All in all about 10 mins or so of fiddling around and I was able to use my GPS. I tested it out along the way to the gym. I had it take me there and on my way there I changed locations several times to test its capability to reroute and maintain its lock.

All is well at this point (at this point I've had the fix working for approximately 2 hours. To get me to the gym and back home) So I decided to check out the latest build, build 21 and downloaded it, wiped cache's and flashed it on.... Once I was back in, I tried the GPS and it just wouldn't lock. Even data seems slower.

I decided to return to my nandroid backup for build 20 and we're back up and running.

So, my finding would suggest:

1.) Build #21 breaks the newly found fix or

2.) The fix only works it you have a nandroid back up of CM7

If this is the case, Rom flashing just got slower until a true fix is implemented. I implore everyone to please continue to read and post any and all findings. I remember back before the EVO launched and the EVO anticipation thread just blew up.... We had thousands of posts and a community was born. Share here and help us all.

Matlock.... Thanks for posting and trying to keep it alive here bud...

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0
Yeah, I figured it would do EXACTLY what you said it would. lol, thats why I didn't try it, because I knew it wouldn't work after a new Build was Flashed. lol

At least on a good note, if the only reason you don't want to flash CM7 if because of the GPS error, you can do the Fix and keep the current build, which is nearly as stable as can be.

Upvote 0
The fix has worked for me through multiple nightly builds. I'm currently at #20.

1.) Build #21 breaks the newly found fix or

2.) The fix only works it you have a nandroid back up of CM7

For your first hypothesis I think if that were the case, there would be a GPS uproar in the nightly threads. Having not flashed #21 myself though it's plausible but I doubt it breaks it. And for your second I can tell you that you don't need a nandroid of CM7. It's just for convenience so you don't have start from scratch all over again with a fresh install after you performed the GPS fix. I've flashed through a few nightlies and the fix has stuck for me.

Upvote 0
The fix has worked for me through multiple nightly builds. I'm currently at #20.

For your first hypothesis I think if that were the case, there would be a GPS uproar in the nightly threads. Having not flashed #21 myself though it's plausible but I doubt it breaks it. And for your second I can tell you that you don't need a nandroid of CM7. It's just for convenience so you don't have start from scratch all over again with a fresh install after you performed the GPS fix. I've flashed through a few nightlies and the fix has stuck for me.

Interesting.... Do you use Amon Ra or Clockwork? Speaking of.... I've look through the threads and seen a few posts on Clockworks issues regarding this or that, never have I heard of issues with Amon Ra Recovery. I use 2.1.1 I believe and I think there is an update, but I'm too chicken to update anything and I don't know enough about the two to choose one over the other... I feel I have more control over Amon Ra, but Clockwork coupled with Rom Manager seems like an easier method to flashing myself mad... Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I prefer Amon's myself. I've never had an issue with any of his recoveries while I've heard about issues on Clockwork in the past. I'm currently running v2.2.1. I don't remember how v2.1.1 was but that can't be a bad thing then. I think the latest is a bit faster and has some extras. If you do want to update then it's not too hard to do...you can use ADB, Android Terminal, bootloader, or ROM Manager (this is the easiest method).

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0
OK, So I'm running on cm7 - nightly- 20, and GPS works even with the sprint navigation program, my only issue right now is my launcher keeps crashing (I'm using launcherpro, cuz I'm just really not a fan of adw launcher), currently my fix has been to keep it from being the default launcher, so its kinda tedious having to select my launcher everytime I hit the home button, but gingerbread rocks.

Also don't have WiMax (4g), but its not in my area just yet anyway, and for the life of me, I can't get sprints Visual Voice Mail working (that one really sucks if anyone could steer me in the right direction to fixing that, I would really appreciate it).

Update- Still crashing launcher, it only crashes the launcher when the phone goes to sleep, seems to do it to both launcherpro, and awe. If anyone has any ideas, I'm definitely listening...

Upvote 0
I'm currently have mikfroyo 4.4 and I've been wanting to give CM7 a try for awhile. I also have been reading that a lot of people prefer RA recovery so I'm trying that right now. I love it but when I try to do a full nandroid backup with the "sd ext" and "android secure". It gives me an error message after attempting to backup. It works fine if I don't select sd ext or android secure.

So before I flash CM7 I want to make sure I understand RA recovery. I looked at the recovery log but didn't really understand what went wrong. It said "Warning: --ext specified but unable to mount the ext partition." :mad:

One other problem I've been having is I can't flash back to CW 2.6.1 where I have all my other nandroids. I can flash any other CW but not 2.6.1. Any ideas why this is?:thinking:

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm currently have mikfroyo 4.4 and I've been wanting to give CM7 a try for awhile. I also have been reading that a lot of people prefer RA recovery so I'm trying that right now. I love it but when I try to do a full nandroid backup with the "sd ext" and "android secure". It gives me an error message after attempting to backup. It works fine if I don't select sd ext or android secure.

So before I flash CM7 I want to make sure I understand RA recovery. I looked at the recovery log but didn't really understand what went wrong. It said "Warning: --ext specified but unable to mount the ext partition." :mad:

One other problem I've been having is I can't flash back to CW 2.6.1 where I have all my other nandroids. I can flash any other CW but not 2.6.1. Any ideas why this is?:thinking:

Thanks!

1) Are you using a2sd? Do you have an ext partition on your sdcard? sd-ext is used if you've partitioned your sdcard with an ext partition. The purpose of doing this is typically for use with a2sd. This is different from normal froyo apps2sd in that it gives you the ability to move all apps, and they actually execute from the sdcard. If you've never partitioned the card, simply don't check the option to backup sd-ext, or it will fail. That's normal. .android_secure is just where normal froyo apps2sd apps are stored. You can check that if you have any apps moved to the sdcard. It will take up more space, though. I assume you haven't tried just checking that one, though, in RA. It will work; it's just sd-ext that you can't backup. If you *do* have a partition on your card, then there's a problem. Let me know.

2) You should be able to restore CW nandroid backups in 3.0.0.x just as well. Despite that, how are you trying to flash CW 2.6.0.1? Through ROM manager? If so, uninstall ROM manager, then reinstall it, then try again. If you're having that much trouble, you can flash it via PC36IMG.zip from hboot. You can get it here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

Instructions are in the thread if you don't know how to flash these.

Reactions: HanzoH
Upvote 0
Most recent update has fixed all my problems. I did the GPS fix previously posted on this thread, and that got gps tracking on CM 7 Nightly 20, but freaking super buggy. My Launcher would freeze, and then i would be forced to reboot my phone if it didn't just reboot on its own. Now I skipped all the other updates, wiped/factory reset, and flashed nightly 26, My GPS is working, I'm using Google Voice as VM (Still can't get Sprints VVM to work), and phone seems to be super stable (I don't know about WiMax yet, cuz its not in my area yet, but from what i've read, i'm pretty sure its not working yet). BTW, there is another GPS fix that seems to be a lot easier, but I haven't tried it myself, since mine is already working using the sense rom method.

Here is the other method tho if you wanna give it a try...
[ROM][AOSP][OFFICIAL MIUI][<<New>>1/29] MIUI Release w/ Screen Shots [1.1.28] - Page 172 - xda-developers

So, after rebooting my phone with the nightly 26 (rebooted it myself for software installation and such, not because of phone locking or anything like that), I noticed that my gps had stopped tracking so I gave the above mentioned link a try, and WOW, it is the most simple fix...

1. Just download GPS Status & Toolbox from the market
2. Run the program and make sure you get a steady lock on you position
3. Press menu/tools and select Manage A-GPS State then press reset
4. Reboot your device and run GPS Status again and wait for a steady lock
5. Then press menu/tools Manage A-GPS State, and press download

This worked for me, no problems, and if you still can't get you GPS tracking, just run your nav program (I'm using the Sprint Nav Program, cuz it confirms GPS tracking the best, because if it can't track, it won't even load, but if you prefer a different NAV program, then use that), then open up GPS Status and let them run in tandem.

On a side note GPS Status is set to download a a-gps data once a day, but you can either disable that or make it even more frequent.

This by far was one of the easiest fixes I've ever done, so give it a shot, and let me know if it works for you...

Reactions: SHO_ONE
Upvote 0
Update- Still crashing launcher, it only crashes the launcher when the phone goes to sleep, seems to do it to both launcherpro, and awe. If anyone has any ideas, I'm definitely listening...
LP crashes on me every time I update the nightly. After I get stuff set the way I like it, wallpaper, LP etc... I run clockwork to fix permissions and that cleared my LP force close on reboot.

Upvote 0
Most recent update has fixed all my problems. I did the GPS fix previously posted on this thread, and that got gps tracking on CM 7 Nightly 20, but freaking super buggy. My Launcher would freeze, and then i would be forced to reboot my phone if it didn't just reboot on its own. Now I skipped all the other updates, wiped/factory reset, and flashed nightly 26, My GPS is working, I'm using Google Voice as VM (Still can't get Sprints VVM to work), and phone seems to be super stable (I don't know about WiMax yet, cuz its not in my area yet, but from what i've read, i'm pretty sure its not working yet). BTW, there is another GPS fix that seems to be a lot easier, but I haven't tried it myself, since mine is already working using the sense rom method.

Here is the other method tho if you wanna give it a try...
[ROM][AOSP][OFFICIAL MIUI][<<New>>1/29] MIUI Release w/ Screen Shots [1.1.28] - Page 172 - xda-developers

So, after rebooting my phone with the nightly 26 (rebooted it myself for software installation and such, not because of phone locking or anything like that), I noticed that my gps had stopped tracking so I gave the above mentioned link a try, and WOW, it is the most simple fix...

1. Just download GPS Status & Toolbox from the market
2. Run the program and make sure you get a steady lock on you position
3. Press menu/tools and select Manage A-GPS State then press reset
4. Reboot your device and run GPS Status again and wait for a steady lock
5. Then press menu/tools Manage A-GPS State, and press download

This worked for me, no problems, and if you still can't get you GPS tracking, just run your nav program (I'm using the Sprint Nav Program, cuz it confirms GPS tracking the best, because if it can't track, it won't even load, but if you prefer a different NAV program, then use that), then open up GPS Status and let them run in tandem.

On a side note GPS Status is set to download a a-gps data once a day, but you can either disable that or make it even more frequent.

This by far was one of the easiest fixes I've ever done, so give it a shot, and let me know if it works for you...

I haven't downloaded anything past build 20 since I felt I was simply spinning my wheels. Have there been any significant updates to CM7 since build 20? Has anyone else experiance the lost of GPS tracking once you've updated to anything past build 20 / using sense rom fix?

Upvote 0
From what i remember someone had posted on XDA that anything after build 25 you didnt need to do the GPS trick. I couldnt even begin to steer you in the direction as to what page that was on. But i do believe it was in the nightly thread.

Right now im using the wimax build based off of 24. Havent had too many problems. Had a string of reboots but i think it was based off trying to overclock too high with setcpu.

Upvote 0
Did the GPS Fix a few nights ago; it's working pretty well now. No Random Recalculating or such like that.

All I did was..

Flash a Sense ROM (My Stock Backup)
Did the GPS Fix
Flashed a Backup of Nightly 25 I had (GPS Lock and Tracking Didn't work)
Updated Google Maps to v5.1.0 (GPS Lock and Tracking then Started Working)

I'm pretty well Satisfied at the moment with the Nightly builds from CyanogenMod.

Cyanogen got himself a ticket to the Google I/O Today, so congrats to him. Hope it has a helluva time!! ^_^

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones