• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root <ROM> Gravity Smart 4/2/2012

gblues, thanks so much for this great ROM! I just have one question. Do you know where I can download Swype keyboard to install it? That's the only thing you removed that I find I really need on here. I know the guy who made the other ROM has a download available for all of the APKs that he removed from the stock ROM, might be worth setting up for yours as well. Anyway, thanks again, you really helped me out with this amazing ROM.

I don't, but I can make a new point release and toss Swype back in along with the latest release of Link2SD.

I installed this ROM a couple of days ago. It has been working perfectly until today when I triy to open the GPS. It take forever to get GPS signal now, actually I can't get GPS signal at all. The GPS in my Gravity Smart used to be working well and only took a minute or so to catch the signal.

Does anybody else have the same problem? Does this ROM lack of something with GPS or did I do something wrong that affected the GPS? All I did was just following the instructions in the OP. I had not tried GPS after loading the new ROM until today. Thanks.

First, reboot your phone and make sure the GPS antenna is actually on (GPS button in the notification slider). Second, download "GPS Status & Toolbox" from Google Play and use it to test your sensors.

I don't think the rom has anything to do with the GPS function.

I had problems with my stock rom and GPS. What I did was turn GPS off. Shut down the phone. Remove the battery. Let it sit for a minute or 2. Put it all back together and GPS has been working. I like the GPS TEST app. It works good, shows how many satellites are in view, etc.

I installed this ROM a couple of days ago. It has been working perfectly until today when I triy to open the GPS. It take forever to get GPS signal now, actually I can't get GPS signal at all. The GPS in my Gravity Smart used to be working well and only took a minute or so to catch the signal.

Does anybody else have the same problem? Does this ROM lack of something with GPS or did I do something wrong that affected the GPS? All I did was just following the instructions in the OP. I had not tried GPS after loading the new ROM until today. Thanks.

I don't think the rom has anything to do with the GPS function.

I had problems with my stock rom and GPS. What I did was turn GPS off. Shut down the phone. Remove the battery. Let it sit for a minute or 2. Put it all back together and GPS has been working. I like the GPS TEST app. It works good, shows how many satellites are in view, etc.

Thanks! Yes, after a cold reboot the GPS works again for me now!

That kind of thing is relegated to full-blown custom ROMs (i.e. CyanogenMod), which mine is not. At least, not yet.

The easiest way to back up your apps is with Titanium Backup, free on the Google Play store. I don't include it with my ROM because Android won't erase apps in the /system folder and so when stock apps get updates, they end up taking 2x the space (the stock version + the updated version). The only non-stock app I include is Link2SD because it's so intrinsic to getting the most out of the phone.

GBules thanks for your work on this. I just got a galaxy smart for my son and noticed all the bloatware on it. Ok question for you or anyone that can answer.. before I update to the last update you uploaded do I need to root the phone first? So I read this whole thread and I guess I want to know the very first steps and go from there as I want to clean this phone and let him get the apps he wants.
Thanks.

Ok since posting this I went back to the other forums and found the rooting proccesses. I will go from there. thanks.

GBules thanks for your work on this. I just got a galaxy smart for my son and noticed all the bloatware on it. Ok question for you or anyone that can answer.. before I update to the last update you uploaded do I need to root the phone first? So I read this whole thread and I guess I want to know the very first steps and go from there as I want to clean this phone and let him get the apps he wants.
Thanks.

Ok since posting this I went back to the other forums and found the rooting proccesses. I will go from there. thanks.

^ What kachman said. You don't need root to apply my ROM, and the phone will be auto-rooted when the process is complete.

This is covered in the OP, but it's worth repeating:

When you download apps from Google Play, they may install directly to the SD card. If that happens, you have to manually move it to internal storage and then use Link2SD to link the APK/dex/libs (as necessary). Here's how to do that:

1) Open Settings and tap Applications > Manage applications
2) Tap on the "On SD Card" tab. This will list all the apps on the primary partition of the SD card.
3) For each app in the list, tap on the app and tap "Move to phone"
4) Press your Home button and then open Link2SD
5) For each app you moved in step 3, tap on the app, scroll to the bottom and tap on "Create Link"
6) On the next screen, make sure that "Link library files" is checked (unless it says "no library files")
7) Once you have linked all your apps, reboot the phone.

This is covered in the OP, but it's worth repeating:

When you download apps from Google Play, they may install directly to the SD card. If that happens, you have to manually move it to internal storage and then use Link2SD to link the APK/dex/libs (as necessary). Here's how to do that:

1) Open Settings and tap Applications > Manage applications
2) Tap on the "On SD Card" tab. This will list all the apps on the primary partition of the SD card.
3) For each app in the list, tap on the app and tap "Move to phone"
4) Press your Home button and then open Link2SD
5) For each app you moved in step 3, tap on the app, scroll to the bottom and tap on "Create Link"
6) On the next screen, make sure that "Link library files" is checked (unless it says "no library files")
7) Once you have linked all your apps, reboot the phone.

Well, actually all my applications are linked to the SD, I already knew that process and always did it for all the apps, everything but the step 7 (this one is really important to link everything??) I just go to the "On SD Card" tab of the step 2 and shows nothing)

I think that the problem is not for the app itself its the DATA and CACH

Well, I just update that today I installed this ROM, working perfect so far :) I had to much troubles of battery life :( I hope that the performance improves.

Question: It is posible to remove the goodbye message from the phone? Or at least the sound? Thx

Is it possible? I believe so. But, I have no interest in modifying or removing the stock boot animations.

I have a new version being uploaded now:

-- Updates bundled Link2SD to latest version
-- Re-adds Swype for those who want it
-- Tweaks build.prop a little to improve performance (based on posts @ XDA by Arhtard)

I also have a custom boot.img that makes small tweaks to default.prop to enable ADB by default, enable USB debugging by default, and remove the status bar icon for USB debugging (also based on posts by Arhtard @ XDA).

While I'm still working on a new kernel, I have at least been able to create a custom boot image that makes some minor debug tweaks to the default setup. Mainly, it allows ADB to be on peristently and removes the USB Debugging icon from the status bar while the phone is connected to the PC.

Download link:
TweakProp-OdinFlashable.zip - Minus

Instructions:

1) Locate Odin Multi Downloader 4.40 USA (use Google)
2) Download the zip file and unpack it somewhere.
3) Run Odin
4) Click on the "OPS" button and select the gt2_tmo_v1.0.ops file.
5) Put a checkmark on "One Package" in the Option section
6) Click the "One Package" button and select the TweakProp.tar.md5 file.
7) Turn off your phone
8) Hold down Vol+, Vol-, and Power until you see "Downloading"
9) Connect the phone to the PC
10) Click "START" in Odin

While I'm still working on a new kernel, I have at least been able to create a custom boot image that makes some minor debug tweaks to the default setup. Mainly, it allows ADB to be on peristently and removes the USB Debugging icon from the status bar while the phone is connected to the PC.

Download link:
TweakProp-OdinFlashable.zip - Minus

Instructions:

1) Locate Odin Multi Downloader 4.40 USA (use Google)
2) Download the zip file and unpack it somewhere.
3) Run Odin
4) Click on the "OPS" button and select the gt2_tmo_v1.0.ops file.
5) Put a checkmark on "One Package" in the Option section
6) Click the "One Package" button and select the TweakProp.tar.md5 file.
7) Turn off your phone
8) Hold down Vol+, Vol-, and Power until you see "Downloading"
9) Connect the phone to the PC
10) Click "START" in Odin

I'm testing this :)

gblues, one question: Is the phone charguing while is the Odin running? And how much time should this process take? Have been 15 mins and is still in "<1> boot.img download.."

PS:
I was experimenting some problems with the ROM because some apps frozen the phone :S someones like Cymera and Instagram (a heavy ones) so maybe the problem is the RAM of the phone or one application :XX hoping that is the last option.

Well I guess a warning about the time it take is not a bad idea. You must need more than an hour for this process, I quit after that time :S Or maybe is REALLY important that you get the 4.40 version :/ I didn't founded in google but the 4.43 and the 4.38 -.-

I hope my phone remains alive D:

Edit: Could you please write the link for the 'Odin Multi Downloader 4.40 USA' program? Was impossible for me to founded that especific version -.- ALL versions appear but that one :7 Is now 2 hours and nothing,

I'm guessing that is not normal. I was trying with 'Odin Multi Downloader 4.43' (1hr then I closed the Odin) now with 'Odin Multi Downloader 4.38' (20mins still running)

I AM worried because the 'Downloading...' screen still in the phone and nothing :SSSSSSSSS

Edit 2:
Just in case, this is what appears in the Odin in the message part:
Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> StartThread Detected : 1
<2> StartThread Detected : 0
<3> StartThread Detected : 0
<4> StartThread Detected : 0
<5> StartThread Detected : 0
<6> StartThread Detected : 0
<7> StartThread Detected : 0
<8> StartThread Detected : 0
<1> setup connection...
<1> odin mode.. check plcatform verification.
<1> VerifyPlatform:V0, P0,R0
<1> START!!!
<1> set download environment.
<1> big partition size!!
<1> boot.img download..

Before I cancelled everything but couldn't get my phone start normally, what must be the process to cancel everything and be able to restart the phone?

I appreacciete the helps and at this time Im really tired and upset, so sorry for the long posts and bad use of english :( I'm just worried.

Well great, I think my phone bricks :SS

It remains appearing an imagen with a phone and PC with a "!" icon between them -.- Even when I try to start with the recovery method :( Be careful with this process I guess you need that imposible to find version of the Odin

:(:(:(:(

PLEASE HELP!!!! How can I repair my phone? :S 5.27 AM in the morning and nothing :(
PS: I still can get to the 'downloading...' start

Edit:
I guess this is it. Now the Odin is showing this error:

Download Start...
<0> Create File...
<1> StartThread Detected : 1
<2> StartThread Detected : 0
<3> StartThread Detected : 0
<4> StartThread Detected : 0
<5> StartThread Detected : 0
<6> StartThread Detected : 0
<7> StartThread Detected : 0
<8> StartThread Detected : 0
<1> --- cannot open the usb serial port. code: 5

EDIT:

After I tried again with the Odin 4.43 this get access to the phone but stucked in the same part:

<1> START!!!
<1> set download environment.
<1> big partition size!!
<1> boot.img download..

The screen I'm getting is the "black screen of the death":

bsod.jpg

However I'm able to go to the Downloading mode

WELL, finally is working :) After sometime, but well I am happy now. This is the link for the Odin Multidownloader 4.40 USA: Samsung T589R flasher needed urgently - GSM-Forum

Needs to register in that page and go to #4 post

YOU NEED TO USE THAT VERSION, OTHER VERSIONS ARE USELESS WITH THE GRAVITY

Don't know if is was just my case but this process eliminate every widget so get that in mind

PS: the process just take like 4 minutes

Actually the flashing process is very fast--maybe a minute--and then 1-2 minutes for the phone to finish rebooting. But yes, you need 4.40USA to flash the Gravity Smart. Thanks for linking! (note that you have to register to get to the d/l in the link).

Thanks gblues for this amazing rom!!! It feels great to get out of the carrier bloated version. My only regret (not from your work of course) is that Samsung is not releasing as much info as they should so this phone can be upgraded maybe even to GB 2.3.7. It hurts that my wife's old phone, an LG Optimus GT540 actually runs a stable ICS 4.0.4. Its a basic phone so much so that it doesn't even have camera flash that the Flashlight app can use. But like I said its on ICS 4.0.4 (CM9 port) with great battery performance (2 days per charge).

Ahh the pain, the pain......

Raid33n
Sony Xperia Pro
ICS 4.0.4 Stock
Rooted / CMW Recovery / Locked BL

Back
Top Bottom