• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root <ROM> Gravity Smart 4/2/2012

Since I was able to successfully boot another phone's GB build (Samsung Galaxy Ace), I'm going to take a shot at porting CM7.2 by modifying the Galaxy Ace config. It will still be using the stock kernel for the time being. Kernel development is in limbo until I can get debug output working properly, and I'm short on some materials for that right now.

Since I was able to successfully boot another phone's GB build (Samsung Galaxy Ace), I'm going to take a shot at porting CM7.2 by modifying the Galaxy Ace config. It will still be using the stock kernel for the time being. Kernel development is in limbo until I can get debug output working properly, and I'm short on some materials for that right now.

hey man, i have a jtag box and a t589, if i can help in any way let me know. I was following your thread on xda but my account is now disabled.

Thanks this has been a great help, it really took off the stress I had, I have one doubt, Would it be the same process for a new micro sd card of more memory I did to my other micro sd card before installing the ROM and theN just copy and paste what I had with my old card? I Just want to be sure.
And another question what happens if I put my text messages to sd card, will it work, will it backup all my messages or what can happen and I can't is there a way that I can backup my messages in the card?

hey man, i have a jtag box and a t589, if i can help in any way let me know. I was following your thread on xda but my account is now disabled.

I have a non-working Cyanogen 7.2 build that gets stuck at the black "ANDROID" screen. If you've got your T589 wired up to your JTAG box, would you be able to test it and e-mail me the boot log so I can see where it's failing?

If you're game, I'll PM you the link to the ODIN-flashable archive (it's currently uploading to my Dropbox).

Can you change the boot animation on this ROM? I have BAC and use the UOT kitchen, but I'm having trouble getting either one to work. I never really had UOT kitchen work on the 2 ROMS that are on the forum, BAC did work for Ahrtards. I like this ROM, just wondering if i can get those to work. thanks!

There's nothing stopping a custom boot animation, no. If you can PM me a link to the animation you want, I can probably throw together a custom update.zip for you to add the animation.

First, thanks for this. I have always hated the stock build on this phone, and this really helps.

Second,

If anyone tries to follow these directions please note that the screen shots are a slight bit off. The partion tool has been updated. The biggest note is that the EXT2 filesystem now auto-formats. The format option is greyed out.

Also, when I first booted, I got a couple of strange text messages from SITA: Cannot figure out what that was

I used the 1.5 version

Again, Thanks

I've installed this ROM and it's excellent except for one critical error: no WIFI
Whenever I try to enable my wifi it just says "error" I have the same issue with arhtard's ROM. I have the sgh-t589w. Is there any way I can resolve this error? Alternatively do you know where I can go to get the stock ROM for this phone?
Thanks for your help

I've installed this ROM and it's excellent except for one critical error: no WIFI
Whenever I try to enable my wifi it just says "error" I have the same issue with arhtard's ROM. I have the sgh-t589w. Is there any way I can resolve this error? Alternatively do you know where I can go to get the stock ROM for this phone?
Thanks for your help

I went on the samsung open source website and built a kernel for the sgh-t589w and grabbed the bcm4329.ko module that it made and replaced the one on my phone with it. But I still get the same error. What else could be the issue?

i need help please. i think i deleted the rom when i was changing the font. its said "Back up rom" soo i did then i restarded it and now won't turn back on .:(

I have followed your instructions to the tee and I still can't seem to root my phone and can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong :-(

YAYYY>>I got it to work so, disregard...I found out why it didn't work. On the sd card partitioning, it has to be the exact number for the space used.:p

I had a Gravity Smart with this ROM and a properly formatted for apps2sd SD card. I have a Nexus 7 now and only intend to use my phone as a communications device and wifi hotspot for the tablet. I recently had to replace the phone with the same model because of insurance. Can I simply flash this ROM, remove the app data from the SD Card and plug in the SD Card and make it work with apps2sd without any problems?

New on here but spent a day trying to fix my gravity smart. I rooted it a while back and it is still crippled with so little memory. I had to take battery out of phone today and it would not fully boot up :( .. I had used titanium back up to make changes and had changed the graphics for the homepage. Now when I even do a factory reboot, I have a black screen when I need to do most anything. Crippled, I decided to to partitian an sd card and install the new ROM listed here. Well the instructions did not worked. Once I got to point of formatting , I was able to format the first part which was SAMSUNG and FAT32. the catch was when I tried to format the second part, the option to format was not allowed :(. I tried many times. I went with it anyway and downloaded the unzipped file called update.zip. I followed the directions and the phone says " can't open /sdcard/updates.zip I am so screwed and need my phone. about to just buy a real phone with real memory. Can anyone help at least get a menu back on phone. I have a full back of of everything on my pc in a file called titanium backup but no clue how to get it on the screwed phone.

Hello
Can you make it for the canadian version of this phone? (Samsung Galaxy-Q or SGH-T589R)? I was going around its files when I found a bootanimation and sound for it.
It was a T-Mobile one so I think when it connects to cellular at the end of the boot, it will do something causing a boot loop.

I am very excited to find this thread! I've had my Samsung Gravity Smart for about a year now. Just used OneClick to root it, and Titanium Backup Pro to remove a bunch of the T-Mobile self-launching bloatware. The minimalist ROM described in the original post seems just right to me.

Two questions, however: One, the very first instruction says to back up the SD card because the partition process will wipe it. How is this done? Can I simply copy everything on my phone to my Windows PC? That doesn't seem right to me, as I'm sure there are Android files that my PC can't see. Titanium only backs up to the SD card, so that's not going to be very handy to back up the SD card...

Second question is, where do I actually find the ROM file? The link in the OP goes to a photo-sharing site, and I don't see any actual download link there.

Craig
Sunnyvale, California

This ROM is very minimalist. I have not added any wallpapers, ringtones, or extraneous apps. Nothing is themed. What it does do is provide you with a minimum baseline to avoid the inherent design flaws with the stock ROM.

Why use a custom ROM?

The phone has very little internal memory. In the stock configuration, the little space that is available quickly gets eaten up by updates to pre-installed apps (which supplement, not replace, the default version). Even if every app you install installs to the SD card, the Dalvik cache files still go to internal storage.

How is this solved?

First, non-essential apps are removed. This includes most of the bloatware like the Tetris, UNO, and Bejeweled 2 demos, and other large apps like Swype and Facebook. I also removed the Google apps that are available on the Android Market (Maps, Street View, Gmail, Voice Search, and Google Search) and replaced the stock Android Market app with the current version (Google Play). The end result is that none of the apps in this ROM are going to prompt for an update (except maybe the Market/Play, but there's no way around that).

Second, the ROM is pre-rooted so apps like Titanium Backup and Link2SD will work immediately.

Third, I've pre-installed Link2SD. This requires the SD card to be prepared (identically to Arhtard's ROM). Once configured, Link2SD stores both the app and its Dalvik cache files on the SD card, which prevents the bloat-death of the phone.

Installation Instructions

Upgrading from a previous release? See UPGRADING below!

Preparing your SD card

Tools you will need:
  • Either a microSD reader, or a regular SD reader with the microSD adapter that came with your phone. YOU CANNOT USE THE PHONE AS THE CARD READER.
  • MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition (free download here)
  • The microSD card from your phone.
Use the steps below to prepare your SD card:

1. BACK UP THE CURRENT CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD. The remaining steps will reformat the card and erase all the data.
  2. Insert the microSD card into the reader (via the adapter if necessary). If the Windows AutoPlay window appears, close it with the X. You cannot partition the SD card while it is in the phone. You must use a dedicated card reader with your PC.
  3. Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard.
  4. Identify which volume corresponds with your SD card (the stock card will show a 1.8GB FAT partition).
    jYjertM9sli1b.png
  5. Right-click the volume and choose "Delete All Partitions" and confirm when prompted.
    ibx6BG2JtRaaPG.png
  6. Right-click in the unallocated space and choose "Create".
    iYuFC8zu5u2nl.png
  7. Use the settings shown in the screenshow below:
    ilSj7eyGoWIrc.png
  8. Right-click the volume again and choose "Create partition" again.
    • You will get a warning that Windows will only recognize the first partition. Ignore the warning.
    ibrQHX6jQvyXog.png
  9. Right-click the FAT32 partition and choose "Format".
    ibcex9KqtP9hl2.png
  10. Use these format settings (be careful because it will default to NTFS):
    ibdzliuKE8SPVp.png
  11. Right-click the ext2 partition and choose "Format", and make sure to choose ext2 for the file system. Be careful because it will default to NTFS.
    ivoh8IeuLk27y.png
  12. Click the Apply button (left-most icon in the toolbar) and wait for it to finish.
    ioZFcCEI2AULA.png
Installing the ROM

New! Version 1.5: update.zip - Minus
Version 1.25: update - Minus
Version 1.2: update - Minus

Version 1.0: update - Minus

NOTE: Do not unzip the update.zip!

Flashing instructions:

1. BACK UP YOUR DATA BECAUSE THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING.
  2. Copy update.zip to the root level of the SD card (this means don't put it in a subfolder).
  3. Use the Windows "Safely remove hardware" to eject your SD card.
  4. Put the SD card into your phone and shut down the phone.
  5. Open the keyboard, press and hold the 'T' key, and keep it held down while you power the phone back on. This brings you to the recovery image. If you are upgrading from the previous release, stop here and see "Upgrading?" below.
  6. Use the volume keys to go down to "Erase user data/factory reset" and confirm with the Power button. You'll have to go down past the "cancel"s to get down to the confirmation.
  7. Similarly, clear the cache partition.
  8. Finally, choose "install update.zip" and wait as the phone is flashed.
  9. Wait for the phone to reboot. It will sit on the flashing "SAMSUNG" logo for about a minute. This is completely normal.
  10. When prompted, either enable or disable location services (at your discretion). This should put you at the home screen. Wait for all the other startup stuff to finish.
Configuring Link2SD

Before you start installing applications, set up Link2SD:

1. Tap Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and enable "USB Debugging"
  2. Tap the Applications icon (blue window in bottom-right) and open Link2SD
  3. Choose "ext2" when prompted for the partition type.
  4. Allow SuperUser to grant root access to Link2SD
  5. Link2SD will tell you the startup script was added. At this point, restart your phone.
  6. Open Link2SD again. Tap Menu > Settings
  7. Enable "Auto Link"
  8. Tap on "Install location" and choose Internal.
  9. Tap the Back button until you're back at the home screen.
You're done!

Next steps:

• Launch Play Store (formerly Android Market) and sign into your Google account
  • Download whichever stock Google apps you want, Facebook, etc.
  • If you download GMail, you will need to tap Menu > Settings > Accounts and Sync > [your Google account] and enable "Sync Gmail" afterwards.
Upgrading?

If you're upgrading from the previous release, the upgrade process is a lot simpler:

1. Follow steps 1-5 of the flashing instructions.
  2. But do not erase your data. Just erase the cache partition.
  3. Flash update.zip and wait for the phone to restart.
  4. Link2SD will give you a notification about a "mount error", and apps may be missing from your home screen. don't panic!
  5. Open Link2SD, and tap "Recreate Mount" when prompted.
A note about Link2SD

In the above configuration, apps that install to internal storage will get automatically moved to the SD card and linked by Link2SD. However, if the app installs itself to the SD card, you will need to manually move it to the phone and link it in order to keep it out of your phone's internal memory. The steps for that are below:

1. Tap Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications and tap on the affected app.
  2. Tap "Move to phone"
  3. Launch Link2SD and locate the app in the list, and tap on it.
  4. At the bottom of the screen, tap on "Create link"
Credits

While I dumped the packages in the ROM using my own phone, I couldn't have gotten that far without 3 people:

• Arhtard, whose ROM gave me a very good template for how a working ROM should be packaged; and
  • keith1764, who provided enough information to get me back to the stock firmware after I'd already messed around a bit with Arhtard's ROM.
  • Lorenz, a blogger that gave me critical details for how to actually sign the update.zip file.
I am not even close to being tech savy! I have tried to follow your steps with the screen shots and it won't even allow me to create a 2nd partition. My card is 4gb, do I still type in the same allocation size and partition space?

Please help! Cant receive messages even tho I have already deleted all my downloaded programs and have cleared the cache on whatever else I could. Need my phone!!!!

Thank you so much for putting it in lay mans terms!!

Does anyone have a copy of this rom? The links on the first page no longer work. I'd like to re-flash mine but do not have my copy of the rom any more.

Back
Top Bottom