• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Mikfroyo - ALL Versions

Can anyone tell me if this rom has a working wireless tether. I am very new at this root and flashing rom game. I have read a lot about this rom before flashing and thought I read it had a sprint hot spot hack included anyone else running this rom that can help me out. Also what kernel seems to be running best with this rom. Thanks all:)

Upvote 0
I'm running this rom with the Netarchy 4.3 CFS more havs nonsbc kernel and getting AMAZING battery life, infact the best I have ever gotten since having the phone. It does come with the sprint hot spot hack, which in my experience works waaaay better than wireless tether, so to be honest I have not even re-downloaded wireless tether to try it. only thing with hot spot is that you can only do 3g, but I swear the hot spot with 3g is faster than wireless tether with 4g, plus 4g if your not plugged in sucks the life outta your battery like a suckubus

Upvote 0
this rom also requires the new radios, I love this rom I got about 60-70mb of extra internal memory over myn's, it's super freakin fast, I love the power widgets, and the fact that I can disable the haptic feedback on the dialer. Also it comes with "adfree" with takes all the ads out of your free programs. Some people seem to not care for the "theming" but I use ADW launcher and use alternate themes anyways so this is not a prob for me.

Did I mention FAST, and I can absolutely not get it to forceclose even if I try :)

Upvote 0
I'm running this rom with the Netarchy 4.3 CFS more havs nonsbc kernel and getting AMAZING battery life, infact the best I have ever gotten since having the phone. It does come with the sprint hot spot hack, which in my experience works waaaay better than wireless tether, so to be honest I have not even re-downloaded wireless tether to try it. only thing with hot spot is that you can only do 3g, but I swear the hot spot with 3g is faster than wireless tether with 4g, plus 4g if your not plugged in sucks the life outta your battery like a suckubus
How do you use the sprint hot spot. Also do you have to do anything to rom or anythng else before flashing that kernel. Thanks

Upvote 0
where can this kernel be found:D

Upvote 0
How do you use the sprint hot spot. Also do you have to do anything to rom or anythng else before flashing that kernel. Thanks

you just click on the app, and then press the button to turn it on, once it's on your other device will recognize the signal and it gives you a password t type in (like 1234567890) thats it

kernel is here
[GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.1.9.1 Beta: 4.3.1 - xda-developers

first you need to update the radios, then once you confirmed that you did that correctly (unless you have already done it) then flash the rom (factory data wipe, cache and davlik) once the rom is installed successfully then flash the kernel (go into recovery, wipe cache and davlik, then choose zip from sd card) then there is a little trick I learned from akazabam on how to calibrate the battery with the new kernel, let me know when you get that far and i'll tell you that along with the setcpu settings that I'm running

Upvote 0
Myn's has better theming hands down (my opinion, of course), but MikFroyo (regardless of quadrant scores) is noticeably faster. I say this because on a normal reboot (splash screen aside, as that's ROM independent), it takes about half the time or less to reboot. Also, everything is much smoother. The developer of Mikfroyo did a lot of optimizations for this. Chief among them was removing all kinds of useless information from system apks (in xml files). This not only freed up a lot of space, but cuts down load time for everything. Some people might notice, some might not. Also, since he's removed so much other junk, I have about 100 MB more free space on /data than I did with myn's. Of course, that's partially due to not installing *exactly* the same apps, but my point still stands.

I did run a quadrant score, though, using the same kernel I had on myn's (netarchy 4.3 more HAVS no sbc). Using the performance governor, I hit about 1420, which is maybe a bit higher than myn's (usually in the 1300s). As far as I'm concerned, it's a poor test, but does show some *general* performance differences (mostly with different kernels, though).

You have nothing to lose by making a nandroid backup and trying it out. Keep in mind that it doesn't have the same kind of user base that myn's does. There aren't nearly as many mods tailored for it. That's the only thing I miss, really.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! A few more questions:

1) I assume I have to update the radio, pri and such in order to flash MikFroyo 4.3
2) Will I be able to use netartchy's 4.3 kernels with Mik' 4.3?
3) Is there a way to have a 5 icon launcher in Mik's (ie LauncherPro in Myns)?

1) Yes, it's based off 3.70 just like Myn's RLS5 is. If you haven't updated the radios yet (and you need to), then you need to if you're going to flash this (theories on whether or not you need to aside).
2) Indeed, you can. Not being able to use any sense based kernel in any sense based ROM is a rare occurrence. If such an incompatibility exists, the ROM developer generally clearly states it. In this case, you're free to use any sense based kernel that you want.
3) You're asking if you can use Launcherpro? If it's Android, Launcherpro will work. It doesn't matter which ROM you're using.

Reactions: stevcha
Upvote 0
1) Yes, it's based off 3.70 just like Myn's RLS5 is. If you haven't updated the radios yet (and you need to), then you need to if you're going to flash this (theories on whether or not you need to aside).
2) Indeed, you can. Not being able to use any sense based kernel in any sense based ROM is a rare occurrence. If such an incompatibility exists, the ROM developer generally clearly states it. In this case, you're free to use any sense based kernel that you want.
3) You're asking if you can use Launcherpro? If it's Android, Launcherpro will work. It doesn't matter which ROM you're using.

Thanks!! I've seen some posts where people were having issues flashing the radio combo pack using clockwork. I just updated to 2.6. Will I be able to flash the combo pack?

Upvote 0
Thanks!! I've seen some posts where people were having issues flashing the radio combo pack using clockwork. I just updated to 2.6. Will I be able to flash the combo pack?

I've heard enough clockwork horror stories to not recommend it, but it should work fine in theory. I used RA (1.80, but 2.x.x should work too) and it flashed just fine. Just make sure you follow directions. Flash the radio update package in recovery, reboot when prompted, wait at the black screen/green arrow, let it reboot itself back into recovery, then reboot. The people are getting bricks are getting them because they get impatient and pull the battery out while it's updating.

One other question, hows the battery life on Miks compared to Myns?

The same. But I'm going to credit the kernel for that one. While there might be a slight difference in battery due to some optimizations to the ROM, it's probably negligible.

Upvote 0
lol, you're welcome :)

It's *probably* not needed for the radio update, but you should probably follow the rule of wiping cache/dalvik before wiping anything. Here's the thing, you're probably going to want to flash the ROM and the radios in the same recovery session (ROM then radios is what I did), so you'll need to wipe cache/dalvik/data anyway for the ROM flash. I didn't wipe data when I did it because I was updating a ROM (myns RLS4 -> RLS5) and I didn't *have* to (I know, bad me; I was being lazy). Since you're switching ROMs, you most definitely should.

Upvote 0
I used RA recovery to be safe. Both radio combo and Mik's flashed without issue. So far Mik's does seem faster than Myn's. Not totally crazy about the theme. Any others besides the stock and flat black?

Great :). I'm not too sure about themes. The thing is, mikfroyo has a lot of optimizations that will get overwritten if just any old theme is flashed over it. He does have a link to this in his thread, though:

[Theme/Mods] Konikub's Theme Collection (1-8-11) New Aloysius for RLS5 & Other ROMS!! - xda-developers

He specifically mentions the detox theme, so I guess that means it's compatible. Worst case scenario - it doesn't work right and you have to restore a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones