• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root my My Touch 3g Fender

lolxluigi

Lurker
Apr 25, 2011
So as you may all know the OTA for froyo on the fender edition of the my touch 3g messes up the phone. I got the update and now it is SLOW! i want to know if there is a way to root my phone while it is running the 2.2 software. please help :(

anyone know how to do this/?

Ok. I also have a MyTouch 3G Fender, and I have rooted it, and unrooted, then rooted again using 2 methods. First time was the Gold card method, and It's very complicated, and will possibly brick your phone, though you can always recover. The method I just used (so I could overclock because the Froyo update to 2.2.1 kinda slows swype down) is the Super One Click method.
Follow these easy steps:
1. go here ShortFuse and on the right side you will see Super one click. Click on that and find the downloads.
2. Download the one with the driver pack installed in it.
3. Copy these files to any directory. (I put them with my Android-SDK files)
4. Turn on USB Debugging in Settings>Applications>Development also while you're in that menu check the Unknowns Sources too.
5. Plug your phone into your computer, and wait for it to detect the USB debugging
5. Run SuperOneClick.exe and click Root
6. When it's done just reboot your phone and PRESTO! Rooted phone with stock 2.2.1 Froyo!

I usually download and run Root Check from the android market to make sure the phone is actually rooted.

Super One Click says that it installs busybox, but Root Check says it's not installed. You'll have to installing that on your own. Hope this was helpful.

Upvote 0
yes the superoneclick works great. i have a mytouch 3g running 2.2.1 and it worked like a charm. i then installed the pay edition of root explorer. awesome.

i was able to completely mod my android files. a word of caution... there are not clear dependencies on the factory apps. i had a very unstable system with some unusable apps. however... downloaded alternate free apps from the market, and all is well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones