• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card...​

How about the SU file? Do we need to leave it in the SD card?

BTW, TYVM for the walk through!!! Had couple of glitches on the way (incl. crashing the PC several times:D), but the forum was helpful enough to pull it through. :beer:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BTW, TYVM for the walk through!!! Had couple of glitches on the way (incl. crashing the PC several times:D), but the forum was helpful enough to pull it through. :beer:
Only if you're using the Stock rom the SU file is baked into all custom ones.

Reactions: Kasto and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Frankly idk what "the Stock" is :) I just followed the instructions on this forum to root my phone. And, in addition, tried to replace the rom to Amon Ra 2.3 (because OCN was saying it's a better one). So after doing it, I noticed there a 2 zip files in the Root. So just was wandering if I can delete both, so they don't confuse me :thinking: lol

Upvote 0

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad it worked for you.....now go and get your flash on:D

now read the 2nd post for more root info. and if you want a list of roms, kernels and other cool stuff, you can find it here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html. also check out the 2nd post of that thread for more info as well

Mike you're always to quick for me.:D
but is he faster then a robot?:D:D

edit: ok you win this round:mad::D

Reactions: Kasto and biker57
Upvote 0

Frankly idk what "the Stock" is :) I just followed the instructions on this forum to root my phone. And, in addition, tried to replace the rom to Amon Ra 2.3 (because OCN was saying it's a better one). So after doing it, I noticed there a 2 zip files in the Root. So just was wandering if I can delete both, so they don't confuse me :thinking: lol

yes you can delete those files. and amon ra is a recovery and not a rom....just an fyi

Upvote 0
Hello I did this a while ago and everything worked fine, i used revolutionary once i downgraded and i used the revolutionary unroot method that you had a link to and it worked fine s-on and no watermark. Then I did an ota update and the locked(oow) popped back up in the bootloader, is there a way to get rid of this or can i just not do an ota upgrade if I dont want the locked(oow) in the bootloader?

Im trading in my phone into sprint on the 19th to get money off the htc one :)
Im worried that if it says oow they wont take it.

Upvote 0
Hello I did this a while ago and everything worked fine, i used revolutionary once i downgraded and i used the revolutionary unroot method that you had a link to and it worked fine s-on and no watermark. Then I did an ota update and the locked(oow) popped back up in the bootloader, is there a way to get rid of this or can i just not do an ota upgrade if I dont want the locked(oow) in the bootloader?

Im trading in my phone into sprint on the 19th to get money off the htc one :)
Im worried that if it says oow they wont take it.

the locked bootloader comes with the ota that gives you the hboot version of 2.18. so by taking the ota you will get a locked bootloader. this is normal and is perfectly fine with sprint. now if it says unlocked or re-locked then any sprint tech should be able to know that it is or was rooted. but locked is fine.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
hboot- 2.16.0001. radio- 2.15.0808. HW version 0003. Android 2.3.3. Baseband 2.15.00.0808. Software # 4.54.651.1

Ive downgraded from the latest to fro-yo, but installing recovery wouldn't work. Finally ran the ruu bringing me to SW# 4.45.651.1 to run rEVOlutionary, but windows 8 wont let me install rEvo;utionary fastboot drivers. I'm so stuck. Done this a million times on my old EVO4G, but that was Win7. Any help greatly appreciated.
\

Upvote 0
If there's one person I can vouch for on the HTC platform, it's ocnbrze; two years ago, he helped me learn, install from the REVOlution site, and even showed me how to fool a bootlloader into accepting a stock ROM with the addition of .zip on the file. He's patient and possesses an even temperament, which most people of higher intellect cannot claim. I give you the one, the only - ocnbrze (insert applause here). You're all in good hands. 1385800138788.jpg

Upvote 0
If there's one person I can vouch for on the HTC platform, it's ocnbrze; two years ago, he helped me learn, install from the REVOlution site, and even showed me how to fool a bootlloader into accepting a stock ROM with the addition of .zip on the file. He's patient and possesses an even temperament, which most people of higher intellect cannot claim. I give you the one, the only - ocnbrze (insert applause here). You're all in good hands.View attachment 64910

:star:

thanx for the applause and cudos.....LOL

sorry i'm a bit late to the party:tomato:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones