• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

You said that there's no RUU available but does this mean that once I've finished with these steps I can still move on to Step One of the Guide? As in I'm "back to 100% stock state"?

Thanks again for the quick response!

Also, while doing this I got in the first steps and was able to erase the 'cache' but not the 'boot' or anything else after that! help?!

You said that there's no RUU available but does this mean that once I've finished with these steps I can still move on to Step One of the Guide? As in I'm "back to 100% stock state"?

Thanks again for the quick response!
Yes

Also, while doing this I got in the first steps and was able to erase the 'cache' but not the 'boot' or anything else after that! help?!
I don't know if I'd worry too much about that. Use fastboot boot recovery.img to boot 4ext recovery. (recovery.img being the exact name of the file or rename the file to recovery.img to keep it simple). Once in recovery choose format all partitions (except sd card), then flash the stock rom. Then continue with step one.

I just got a replacement phone from VM and I want to root it, my questions are:
1) What is the latest OTA #
2) Is it rootable
3) Can doing the S-Off wire trick brick the phone?

1. 2.95.652.5

2. Yes

3. If you follow the instructions to a t, there is very little risk of bricking. Of the many rooters, I've maybe heard of one case and I'm not 100% sure it was unrecoverable.

Well my phone is in the HBOOT menu it is unlocked and has the fastboot usb on it. (step 1 substep 7) I typed in the command fastboot flash recovery recovery.img ,but my command prompt nor my phone is responding to it. I can't type in any command or select anything through my phone. What do I do? The command Prompt says: C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)... OKAY
writing 'unlocktoken'... INFOunlock token check successfully
OKAY

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>adb reboot bootloader

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (6914 KB)... FAILED (remote: not allowed)

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (6914 KB)...
and is stuck there. Nothing is happening What do I do?

Ok I got through all of step 1 now I'm having trouble with step 2: everytime I tell my phone to flash the ota it says it can't: The screen is also black with an HTC logo on it.
C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash zip shooter_ota_2.95_1.50.5050jb.z
ip
error: cannot load 'shooter_ota_2.95_1.50.5050jb.zip'

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash zip shooter_ota_2.95_1.50.5050jb.z
ip

error: device not found

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot erase cache
erasing 'cache'... OKAY

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot oem rebootRUU
... INFOStart Verify: 0
INFOStart Verify: 0
INFOerase sector 130560 ~ 131071 (512)
OKAY

ip

what do i do?

Posting many times in a row isnt going to make help come any faster. Someone that knows whats going on will reply as soon as they read what is going on. Just sit tight.

By the looks of it, You dont have the ROM zip in the s-off folder.

Posting many times in a row isnt going to make help come any faster. Someone that knows whats going on will reply as soon as they read what is going on. Just sit tight.

By the looks of it, You dont have the ROM zip in the s-off folder.

I'm trying to run the ruu ,but every-time i try to flash the file I get a blank screen with the htc logo
which rom? because my harmonia rom is in my 'roms' folder

ip

what do i do?

I'm trying to run the ruu ,but every-time i try to flash the file I get a blank screen with the htc logo
which rom? because my harmonia rom is in my 'roms' folder

The command you are giving in command prompt is to flash the stock ROM through fastboot. It is looking for that ROM in your s-off folder, because that is your current working directory. If you are trying to flash harmonia, you have to issue this command:

Code:
C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash zip ..\Roms\harmoniaromname.zip

Are you sure because with my first phone I s-offed I never had to do that. I get this when i type it in C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash zip ..\Roms\harmoniaromname.zip
error: cannot load '..\Roms\harmoniaromname.zip'

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>

Are you sure because with my first phone I s-offed I never had to do that. I get this when i type it in C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash zip ..\Roms\harmoniaromname.zip
error: cannot load '..\Roms\harmoniaromname.zip'

C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>

Are you literally typing harmoniaromname or are you typing the actual name of the zip file?

*edit I got this mesage.:
C:\shooter-root-soff-fix\S-OFF>fastboot flash zip shooter_ota_1.14.652.5_1.50.50
50jb.zip
sending 'zip' (11932 KB)... OKAY
writing 'zip'... INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
INFOchecking custom ID...
INFOstart image[adsp] unzipping & flushing...
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,0
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,12
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,25
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,37
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,50
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,63
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,75
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,88
INFO[RUU]UZ,adsp,100
INFO[RUU]WP,adsp,0
INFO[RUU]WP,adsp,100
INFOstart image[radio] unzipping & flushing...
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,0
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,5
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,11
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,17
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,23
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,29
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,35
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,41
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,47
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,52
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,58
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,64
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,70
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,76
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,82
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,88
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,94
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,99
INFO[RUU]UZ,radio,100
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,94
INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100
INFOstart image[rcdata] unzipping & flushing...
INFO[RUU]UZ,rcdata,0
INFO[RUU]UZ,rcdata,100
INFO[RUU]WP,rcdata,0
INFO[RUU]WP,rcdata,100
OKAY.
should I continue? my screen has the HTC logo ,but I green bar is under it that is about %90 filled. Should I continue the guide?

I'm really confused as to where you are at? A green bar? Is the htc screen black? That sounds like ruu mode. If it's running the Ruu I wouldn't interrupt it.

My head is really fuzzy, i have a lot going on right now so it's hard to problem solve right now. I'm trying! But I may not be as quick on my feet right now. :)

I got it fixed ,but I have one last question... I just installed harmonia and I went to press reboot ,but it told I was in safe mode and to wipe my phone (except sd card) should I do that then reboot or just reboot?

I got it fixed ,but I have one last question... I just installed harmonia and I went to press reboot ,but it told I was in safe mode and to wipe my phone (except sd card) should I do that then reboot or just reboot?

Well wiping everything would mean you need to reflash the rom, which you could do. Try wiping cache and dalvik first and then boot up normally. After booting up go back to recovery and see if you still get the error. If so, wipe everything, then flash harmonia again and see if all is good.

You don't ever have to get S-OFF, but the vast majority of people who want root, I estimate, will want S-OFF eventually. You should obtain S-OFF before you root the phone if you want S-OFF, but the procedure will work if you are rooted.

Also, since you've taken the March OTA, you cannot run the RUU unless you obtain S-OFF.

You don't ever have to get S-OFF, but the vast majority of people who want root, I estimate, will want S-OFF eventually. You should obtain S-OFF before you root the phone if you want S-OFF, but the procedure will work if you are rooted.

Also, since you've taken the March OTA, you cannot run the RUU unless you obtain S-OFF.

Thanks. I will get S-Off eventually, I just don't have a wire to do the wire tick with atm.

Paperclips, speaker wire, any wire that can transfer a charge will work. It's best if it's large single strand, but other wire types will work with a bit more finesse. Whenever you decide to go for it, there's plenty of people willing to help you out here.

I used a paperclip and the rubber part of a pen and it worked... electrical tape works too

Back
Top Bottom