• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

Well in a sense yes. The ruu will return you to stock and unrooted. It won't remove s-off though. The easiest way to root after the ruu is to flash recovery through the bootloader then flash a rom.

http://db.tt/9VEkAHRe

Rename to PG86IMG.zip place on root of SD card. Reboot into bootloader and when asked to update say yes with volume up. That will flash recovery. Then boot into recovery and flash a rom.

Remove or rename the PG86IMG.zip after booting up. It will prevent you from accessing recovery in an emergency.

Sweet. You just gave me a reason to wake up early tomorrow. So so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Hi all,
I am tryig to help a friend. He has an Evo V that he bought prerooted. He says he took out battery for a bit and then when he replaced battery it will not boot past the splash screen.

He is on Hboot 1.58 and s-on, he has tried the SetmainversionLow zip through recovery and then the RUU but I get an error saying Hboot is older, and from what I have read now it wont work since he is on 1.58 hboot already?

He also tried to flash the rom zip from this thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...d-everything-should-work-now.html#post5633433

But when he tries to flash this rom it it gets stuck while installing, first time it got stuck at like 18% and second time it got stuck at 1%.

I have moved on from my old Evo 4g and am not as used to playing with HTC files anymore so any help would be very greatly appreciated by both he and I! Thanks!

You are correct, there's no ruu available after taking the latest ota.

I would try downloading the rom again in case you got a corrupt download.

Also what recovery is installed on the phone? If it's 4ext (with smart flash enabled) the flash will probably go smoothly but anything else you will need to take some extra steps to get the kernel to flash with the rom, otherwise it won't boot after flashing.

Sounds like you aren't getting a successful flash though, so try a fresh download first and see if that helps.

It has TWRP, I can try 4EXt if you think it will make a difference. What other steps are needed if using TWRP? Just "fastboot flash boot boot.img" to flash boot.img in fastboot?

It has TWRP, I can try 4EXt if you think it will make a difference. What other steps are needed if using TWRP? Just "fastboot flash boot boot.img" to flash boot.img in fastboot?

Yep that fastboot flash boot boot.img should do the trick. That's assuming after a successful rom flash though... I'm guessing twrp is the issue.

Here is 4ext:
http://db.tt/1QYlMnp5

If smart flash is enabled it should eliminate the need to flash the boot.img separately..

You can temporarily enable It in the tools menu. To permanently enable it, after you are up and running you need to have him download the free app from the 4ext website and go through the setup.

So I followed this guide a few weeks ago with amazing success. I tried a few roms, but settled on Harmonia. Yesterday, I tried using Soundhound to get the name of a song, but no matter what, it wouldn't recognize the song. So I tried a different song recognition app. No dice. Sound recording app-- nothing. Phone calls work fine, but it seems that no other apps can access the microphone.

Today, I tried switching to unsenseable, midnight, and shooter, but it's all the same: phone calls are fine, but no apps can use the mic.

Any suggestions? :<

Thanks so much for making this guide! Even a 50 yr old like me had no real problems flashing his first rom.
My OCD forces me to point out two items however:
a) there is no step 3 listed above this text in STEP 2 - FIX EVERYTHING:

5) Verify that your bootloader now says = JuopunutBear = in pink & white at the top, the HBOOT reads HBOOT-1.50.5050, and that your RADIO section says RADIO-1.09.00.0108. If it does, congratulations, you were successful! If your radio says something other than 1.09.00.0108, please repeat steps 3 & 4 above.

b) I didn't realize I would need to download google apps zip and flash it after flashing the rom.
Great job & I'm sure I'll be back in the future for reference.
Regards,
Marz

So i ran into a little bit of a problem i;m not sure how to fix. I just finished step two and now when i restart into bootloader i get the "do you want to install updates volume up for yes volume down for no" my volume up button is broken but i managed to wiggle some wire in and trigger the switch. It says updating then ok, then restart. After restarting it just goes into a boot cycle. If i try to go back into the bootloader it wants to do the updates again and reboot. Not sure how to get out or back to the recovery because the first thing it does in the boot loader is update. Any suggestions?

You either have to delete the PG86IMG.ZIP file from the sd card using your computer or remove the card until the phone boots and then use a file browser to remove the file. :D
OB

Looking for some help:
I need a RUU for an HTC Evo 3D (yes I know this is the HTC Evo V section) with a mainver of 2.95.652.5 and CID of SPCS_002.

I have my phone stuck in a boot loop with s-on and I just relocked my bootloader. I have been searching for days for a RUU for my phone and have failed miserably numerous times. I really really need a RUU for this phone. I know how to operate all this stuff, just need the correct RUU.

Looking for some help:
I need a RUU for an HTC Evo 3D (yes I know this is the HTC Evo V section) with a mainver of 2.95.652.5 and CID of SPCS_002.

I have my phone stuck in a boot loop with s-on and I just relocked my bootloader. I have been searching for days for a RUU for my phone and have failed miserably numerous times. I really really need a RUU for this phone. I know how to operate all this stuff, just need the correct RUU.

I'm a little confused by your post... Do you have the sprint evo 3D or virgin mobile Evo v?

It makes a difference and depending on which you have you either will or won't have an ruu available.

I've completed everything through the end of Step 2. There was the odd glitch, but a re-download of a file or two did the trick. The first instruction in Step 3 is:
1) From recovery, select toggle usb storage. Navigate to your shooter-root-soff-fix folder and copy the roms folder with Harmonia in it to your SD Card. Wait for it to finish.
However, I got a message in Windows "You need to format the disk in drive:E before you can use it" (which is the drive where I've plugged my phone, of course). I certainly don't want to lose everything on my SD card. What can I do? Did I fry it while doing S-OFF? Please

Thanks a whole lot.

Oh man! Unfortunately there is a risk of messing up the SD card with the wire trick. I backed mine up prior to the wire trick just in case. :/

Do you have a spare? Short of downloading some software for SD card recovery, I'm not sure what else could be done.

Let me ask around and see if I can find anyone with any other ideas! :)

I've completed everything through the end of Step 2. There was the odd glitch, but a re-download of a file or two did the trick. The first instruction in Step 3 is:

However, I got a message in Windows "You need to format the disk in drive:E before you can use it" (which is the drive where I've plugged my phone, of course). I certainly don't want to lose everything on my SD card. What can I do? Did I fry it while doing S-OFF? Please

Thanks a whole lot.

Since windows gave it a disk drive letter try to run chkdsk

run > type cmd > press enter
at the command prompt

chkdsk E: /f /r

this will force a disk check and check for bad areas if successful you should be able to load the contents of the card

put the SDCARD into a CARD reader and don't do this through your phone

when installing new Roms do you need to do the wire trick every time or does doing it in this tutorial keep S-off permanently?

S-off is permanent unless you purposely change it back to s-on. You can flash any rom, different firmware, etc... And s-on will remain.

Since windows gave it a disk drive letter try to run chkdsk

run > type cmd > press enter
at the command prompt

chkdsk E: /f /r

this will force a disk check and check for bad areas if successful you should be able to load the contents of the card

put the SDCARD into a CARD reader and don't do this through your phone

I tried and got this:

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk E: /f /r
The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

Does this mean I'm toast?

Just about anything else can be replaced except for once in a lifetime photos, if that's the case I've had reasonable luck with PhotoRescue Advanced PC, it's a pretty expensive program, but I'm an advanced amateur photographer and it's definitely been worth it for me. Depending on how buggered the card is this can be very tedious and time consuming though. Good luck. :D
OB
P.S. If you do need to format the card use the free SD formatter program, Windows sometimes formats cards to a lesser capacity when corrupt, I had a 64 gig show up as an 8 gig once. :rolleyes:

Iam on March ota rooted unlocked an 4 ext can i just run the j bear S off an what h boot will let me run both stock an custom roms please help

Iam on March ota rooted unlocked an 4 ext can i just run the j bear S off an what h boot will let me run both stock an custom roms please help

You might be okay to s-off. You won't get support from unlimited if anything goes wrong since you aren't on their required setup but we'll certainly do our best to help here.

As for this hboot, there isn't one. It's rom dependent. If a rom was built to work on 1.5 and 1.57 or 8 then you are good on either hboot. Most of the stock based ICS roms require 1.57 or 1.58. I think all of the jb roms require 1.50 and below. Your best bet would probably be the juopunut bear patched 1.50.5050 hboot. It will work for all jellybean roms and some ICS roms.

You can find all hboots in my thread here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-ev...902-radios-hboot-firmware-all-downloads.html

Back
Top Bottom