• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

No it does not and this is not the same leaked firmware I believe (please correct me if im wrong). this is I6 not I5 (I5 was the leaked version on kies) so I am pretty sure it is optimized but it is one of the first things I checked besides GPS, everything is running very smooth. I watched some videos just now and looked at about 60 pics everything is nice and speedy.

Not to burst your bubble or anything; but JI6 was the latest leaked version on kies. They pulled it after a couple of hours and there is a flashable .tar for JI6 over at XDA.

Upvote 0
I'm for sure the leaked update that came from Kies was JI5 not JI6, JI6 is the new update that they had to improve over JI5. JI5 had lil bugs that needed to be fix thats why they pulled it off the samsung kies. JI6 is a improvement of JI5

To be honest before I read that the update from Kies was not that great I kind of thought Samsung pulled it only because TMO demanded for them to...lol, well either way I suppose Im not as upset that I was just a little to late to get the update before on Kies.

Upvote 0
Got impatient, so decided to try a few things and log them here, so that others can see what I did and what happened.

Got the update notification this morning. I started with 2.1update1, rooted, RyanZA's OCLF, whatever update JI2 GPS.zip gave me, and a few other cosmetic mods (battery indicator, boot screen, etc). I started with Quadrant benchmark scores averaging in the 2200 range. I removed the lag fix (took about 8 min) and was then getting scores between 800 and 900. Then I Nandroid'd back to before I installed the GPS fix. Took about 15 min, and about halfway through I realized that that would put the lag fix back on the phone. Fantastic. Took the lag fix off again, confirmed that it was off, but didn't have the update notice in the notification bar anymore. Went to Settings -> Software Update, and I'm getting the No Firmware message we all know and love. Guess I missed out on the update?

Reactions: azrhei
Upvote 0
No it does not and this is not the same leaked firmware I believe (please correct me if im wrong). this is I6 not I5 (I5 was the leaked version on kies) so I am pretty sure it is optimized but it is one of the first things I checked besides GPS, everything is running very smooth. I watched some videos just now and looked at about 60 pics everything is nice and speedy.

So does that mean that f I have JI5 that I got from Kies before they pulled it, that I will still get an update ?

Upvote 0
I'm for sure the leaked update that came from Kies was JI5 not JI6, JI6 is the new update that they had to improve over JI5. JI5 had lil bugs that needed to be fix thats why they pulled it off the samsung kies. JI6 is a improvement of JI5

You need to head over to xda and have another look. Sombionix and Eugene have been working on their custom roms with the JI6 leak for over a week now.

Upvote 0
Nothing in the bar...

Hitting the software update button in settings and its giving me an error:

"DM initialization is not ready. Check network or sim card"

I went into the network settings made sure it was on t mobile, still getting same error...rebooted it...same error!

Edit:
just reseated the sim and sd card's rebooting lets see if that helped...
Doh now it says no firmware like before the update!

any ideas?

stock vibrant
added 4g sd-card

:thinking:

Upvote 0
Got impatient, so decided to try a few things and log them here, so that others can see what I did and what happened.

Got the update notification this morning. I started with 2.1update1, rooted, RyanZA's OCLF, whatever update JI2 GPS.zip gave me, and a few other cosmetic mods (battery indicator, boot screen, etc). I started with Quadrant benchmark scores averaging in the 2200 range. I removed the lag fix (took about 8 min) and was then getting scores between 800 and 900. Then I Nandroid'd back to before I installed the GPS fix. Took about 15 min, and about halfway through I realized that that would put the lag fix back on the phone. Fantastic. Took the lag fix off again, confirmed that it was off, but didn't have the update notice in the notification bar anymore. Went to Settings -> Software Update, and I'm getting the No Firmware message we all know and love. Guess I missed out on the update?

Maybe not. I would take a wait and see attitude on it. I did some checking and I haven't gotten mine yet either. By the way, interesting forum name, what does it reference?

Upvote 0
You need to head over to xda and have another look. Sombionix and Eugene have been working on their custom roms with the JI6 leak for over a week now.

The update that went out over Kies was JI5, the JI6 update leaked out in a .enc file a day or so after the JI5 was pulled from Kies. I know because i am running the Kies update and it is JI5

Upvote 0
Nothing in the bar...

Hitting the software update button in settings and its giving me an error:

"DM initialization is not ready. Check network or sim card"

I went into the network settings made sure it was on t mobile, still getting same error...rebooted it...same error!

Edit:
just reseated the sim and sd card's rebooting lets see if that helped...
Doh now it says no firmware like before the update!

any ideas?

stock vibrant
added 4g sd-card

:thinking:

Have patience, your phone will notify you when the update is available for you.

Upvote 0
Not to burst your bubble or anything; but JI6 was the latest leaked version on kies. They pulled it after a couple of hours and there is a flashable .tar for JI6 over at XDA.

Actually, JI6 was never on Kies

JI5 was available via kies then pulled.

JI6 was found by someone clever on Samsung's server. It was never available on Kies. JI6 was encrypted and useless, until someone cracked the encryption. However JI6 was not on Kies, it was in fact JI5 that was pulled hours after showing up on Kies.

Upvote 0
I have a few questions for ya'll:

1. Did you receive the Official T-mobile OTA JI6 update?

2. If you did, what is/was your phone state at the time?

3. If you did, did you notice any changes, improvements or otherwise over the JI5 update?

4. If you didn't, any ideas as to why not?

5. If you didn't, will you be making any changes to your phone or phone state?

6. If you didn't, have you heard official or kind of official word on why not?

Obviously not everybody has received the OTA update yet. I don't expect (good) answers for days. I'm just curious and wanted to get this thread out there at the beginning. I've been in the position of waiting for weeks for software updates on phones and I'm in no hurry. (I've waited this long, and I had a Behold 2 once:mad:.)

For what it's worth my stats are:

Model Number: SGH-T959
Firmware Version: 2.1-Update 1
Baseband Version: T959UVJI5
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Build Number: ECLAIR.UVJI5

-No root (Since I recovered from the Kies debacle)
-No RZA Lag Fix (Again, not since recovery)

Bonus Question:

* Is this official enough for an OTA update, or do I have to find original firmware (Out of the box) to receive the OTA update?

Thanks,
A

Upvote 0
I have a few questions for ya'll:

1. Did you receive the Official T-mobile OTA JI6 update?

2. If you did, what is/was your phone state at the time?

3. If you did, did you notice any changes, improvements or otherwise over the JI5 update?

4. If you didn't, any ideas as to why not?

5. If you didn't, will you be making any changes to your phone or phone state?

6. If you didn't, have you heard official or kind of official word on why not?

Obviously not everybody has received the OTA update yet. I don't expect (good) answers for days. I'm just curious and wanted to get this thread out there at the beginning. I've been in the position of waiting for weeks for software updates on phones and I'm in no hurry. (I've waited this long, and I had a Behold 2 once:mad:.)

For what it's worth my stats are:

Model Number: SGH-T959
Firmware Version: 2.1-Update 1
Baseband Version: T959UVJI5
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Build Number: ECLAIR.UVJI5

-No root (Since I recovered from the Kies debacle)
-No RZA Lag Fix (Again, not since recovery)

Bonus Question:

* Is this official enough for an OTA update, or do I have to find original firmware (Out of the box) to receive the OTA update?

Thanks,
A

As to your Bonus Question, it's my understanding that to receive the OTA update you must be on the original, out-of-the-box, JFD firmware.

Reactions: XXSuntoucherxX
Upvote 0
Actually, JI6 was never on Kies

JI5 was available via kies then pulled.

JI6 was found by someone clever on Samsung's server. It was never available on Kies. JI6 was encrypted and useless, until someone cracked the encryption. However JI6 was not on Kies, it was in fact JI5 that was pulled hours after showing up on Kies.

I second this because I remember they had to decode J16 and for a while people thought it was Froyo, but it turned out to small to be froyo.

Upvote 0
The update that went out over Kies was JI5, the JI6 update leaked out in a .enc file a day or so after the JI5 was pulled from Kies. I know because i am running the Kies update and it is JI5

Right, and a .enc file is just an encoded file which someone was able to decompress and make it a flashable .tar file. I believe it was viralblack over at xda. But nevertheless it doesn't matter.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones