• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

After checking gps I only get 1 lock out of 13 didn't realize how bad it is.hope the ota us a vast improvement.how is it working for anyone who had received it do far? Thanks

Lionx - that info looks bogus.

There is no "Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Updates".

There's "Settings > Software update", but clicking on that just says "No firmware".

Looks to me like you just have to wait for the OTA notification.

ditto
Lionx - that info looks bogus.

There is no "Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Updates".

There's "Settings > Software update", but clicking on that just says "No firmware".

Looks to me like you just have to wait for the OTA notification.

Good to know. I havent recieved a notice yet either.

Yes and at least we know it is rolling out. The longest part of the waiting game is over. :)

And now we won't have to deal with the idiocy of whether or not it's going to roll out and when.

After checking gps I only get 1 lock out of 13 didn't realize how bad it is.hope the ota us a vast improvement.how is it working for anyone who had received it do far? Thanks

It is working very well, I cant believe it myself really. I lock on to 6-8 out of 10 in view and before the update I would lock on to 2 avg..

I hope that is not the case, if it is everyone that updated to I5 via kies will not be getting the I6 OTA update. But like I said, I really hope that is not the case.

Just wondering anyone else get the update yet? its been a full 24 hours since I got mine. There has to be others.

Not a Vibrant owner (rooted D1 here) but a coworker with a Vibrant received the update literally minutes ago...North Carolina.

Hope this makes the GPS better for you guys. I don't know what media hub is though...but enjoy!

I really hope that is not the case, either.. I'm new to Android, and Samsung, and I had no idea that getting the firmware (which apparently wasn't supposed to go out) directly from Samsung with Kies wouldn't make me eligible to get the newer one from T-Mobile.. Not my fault! :(

cool thanks for the info and yeah it has fixed my GPS thats for sure. working just as good as my good old G1's GPS used to. This is my second night with the update and just to see if the gps is still locking good I went outside and did another gps test locked on just as fast. I have not tried it while driving with out wireless networks turned off tho, but I do keep that on all the time since I like to have the date and location of all the pictures I take.

No its not, if anything call tmobile and see what they have to say about it. also go to your Settings then software update and click on that. Does it say "No Firmware" or something else. I just want to know since that is what mine said before I got the OTA JI6 update. but I didnt use kies to get the JI5 either so Im not sure. But yeah call tmobile and see what they have to say. they way you will know for sure and if you do so please report back and let us know. Thanks

Hi all, I know i don't post alot but I received the update last night. The media hub is now active but the movies available are not new...hopefully they update them soon. HD recording and task manager are part of clickable applications now as well. Scrolling does seems a bit smoother and a tad bit faster but nothing to brag about. Haven't had a chance to test the GPS but will report back when I do. Also I am in North Carolina.

Confirmed the update went smoothly. I was not rooted or anything else. Totally stock phone.

Still seems to take forever when opening market downloads screen.

I was really hoping that would have been fixed without the need to run the lagfix.

Update went without a hitch here in St. Louis. Update was available when I woke up this morning. Phone is rooted; I uninstalled ryan's lagfix last night in anticipation. LauncherPro home screen. Took only 5 minutes or so. GPS came on and locked on; seemed to jump around a bit in number of sats in use in GPS Test, but it nailed my location (I was indoors sitting at a window). Quadrant speed test is the same as before the lag fix, about 850; with lagfix it was about 2000. But in the little I've done since the update, it seems pretty quick (Market downloads loaded right away). Yay!

Just discovered that the stock browser now does not crash when I visit one of my favorite blogs. Crashed every time before the update. Also every video and graphic displays in the blog, and videos play, too. I tried one that wouldn't play in YouTube but did in Skyfire. This is great!

Just discovered that the stock browser now does not crash when I visit one of my favorite blogs. Crashed every time before the update. Also every video and graphic displays in the blog, and videos play, too. I tried one that wouldn't play in YouTube but did in Skyfire. This is great!

WoW your right, I just turned plug ins back on and everything is working now you can see videos in the browser now and use what looks to be flash or something like it. Thanks for letting me know about that I would have never even tried :)

So I just tested a few other websites and it seems flash is semi working on most sites and if not at least the browser does not crash like it did before. This is nice. I am seeing a lot of stuff I couldnt see before and since I post about 50% of the time to this site on my phone it is really cool, this update really does have a lot more then It seemed.

yeah it has always opened up very fast for me.

Weird, it's never opened fast for me. Wonder what that could be. The market app itself opens fast, but the downloads page takes a couple of minutes to open.

Still the same after this update too :(

Clear data/cache for market in applications settings?

Anything else I can try?

Back
Top Bottom