• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

Ok I just used the GPS and for the first time it locked on to more then 3 sats.. 10 in view 6-7 in use locked on with in less then 30 secs of turning the GPS on. I also want to add that in google maps it was spot on no blue circle. I am really happy with this fix. the built in task manager is also really nice.

Is your phone rooted? Just wondering if my rooted phone will have any errors/difficulties with updates.

I want this update! Glad to hear it's working well. I found a kick-ass car mount for GPS use on Ebay. Came from Japan, so it took a few weeks to get here, but very happy with the purchase. Can't beat the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINDSHIELD-CAR-...766101?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item23096986d5

no my phone is not rooted, everything stock. and the update went faster then I would have thot.. only thing it did do was hang on the Galaxy S screen for a bit, after that everything got up to speed. now after leaving the gps on for a bit longer I tested agian and even locked on to more birds and like I said my avg was 2 befor the update and the SNR level would always be really low, they are now in the yellow and green, I am not locking onto red ones anymore.. I am really happy we got this fix, well i got it and you guys will be soon I would think

and yes media hub is working

Cool, thanks. Just saw on the T-mobile forums that the update came with a HD-camcorder, media hub and a file manager. Haven't recieved the update myself, but good to know. I'll probably stick to my current file manager, AndroidMate is awesome.

yeah I use System Panel as my file manager. but it is nice that there is one built right into the phone now. I am just freaked that the GPS really does work now. I cant believe the difference. I really didnt think it would be that huge, I mean my gps did kinda work before this update I would lock on to 2 birds sometimes even 3 but now at the same place standing on my porch im locking on to at least 6 birds and avg is 7 or 8. The most I have locked to so far is 9 out of 10 in view. I was thinking this update would give us just enuff to get a fix on our location (and make it seem like it was better) since you need at least 3 for a good lock.. I also notice that google maps is faster, I can zoom in to my location much faster then I could before. I am not sure if that is just due to me locking onto the right amount of birds or network optimization. I didnt hear anything about that yet but it does seem there are a lot of little things added into this update along with the biggest thing being the GPS fix. I loved my Vibrant even before this fix but now its like I love it more much much more.. I hope everyone gets there update soon.

Does your Gallery freeze when you open it?

There was/is an issue with the leaked firmware through kies where the Gallery would freeze when you tried to open it..

No it does not and this is not the same leaked firmware I believe (please correct me if im wrong). this is I6 not I5 (I5 was the leaked version on kies) so I am pretty sure it is optimized but it is one of the first things I checked besides GPS, everything is running very smooth. I watched some videos just now and looked at about 60 pics everything is nice and speedy.

For anyone running totally stock (no lagfix), did it take forever before to open up marketplace downloads screen.

Is that any better with this new update?

Also, just to further confirm it's official.
Twitter / Galaxy S support: JI6 OTA now released for V ...

This is JI6 (and earlier leak was JI5). No 2.2/Froyo update here.

Looks like it might take 24-48 hours to roll out to everyone.

Also, Samsung/TMobile promised us an update on the update by the end of the week. So now that the GPS update has been released, do they still need to give us an update on 2.2 this week or can they just get away saying here's your GPS update and make no mention of 2.2?

No, I just checked the market place and it opened up fast just as normal it seems to be a solid update.

About the the 2.2 update, I am really hoping that it still means they will gives us more info on 2.2 this week, but you just never know anymore. I mean you would think they would have at least gave us a notice on the GPS fix that is now being rolled out.

I dont think they ever said they were giving us info about the 2.2 update this week. I think that was JUST for the GPS. And lookie! We're getting it! I was expecting another press release type "update" this week...not the actual software update! So this is good news.

lol someone on XDA forums got the update and said it never went so well. Said he has to do a nandroid restore

Now when you read this on the xda forums were they talking about this OTA update or the Kies update?

There was one person on the XDA forums that said it hung on the Galaxy S screen so he had to redo everything. The thing is it hung there for me as well I waited it out, just like when the update stopped at 85% for a little while. Please don't go ripping the battery out of your phone. Just let the update do its thing, there has been people in the past that have messed up an update since they didnt realize that it will hang for a while on some steps of the install. Sit back and let the phone do its thing. I have seen updates sit on one screen for 10 minutes and then the update installs and all is well.

You are gonna have to remove the lag fix. Rooting wont matter. Unless you arent on the stock ROM.

What about other mods, like JI2 GPS, battery indicators, boot screens, etc, even though I am still on the stock ROM? Also, did you have a rooted/lagfixed phone and get the update to work yourself?

What about other mods, like JI2 GPS, battery indicators, boot screens, etc, even though I am still on the stock ROM? Also, did you have a rooted/lagfixed phone and get the update to work yourself?

Ive yet to get my update. I was just repeating what I read from people on XDA. I am running the stock ROM with the vanilla lockscreen and clockwork recovery. So I am curious as well. I was told when I asked that the lockscreen shouldnt matter. But all the problems I have seen are from lag fixes and gps fixes.

Ive yet to get my update. I was just repeating what I read from people on XDA. I am running the stock ROM with the vanilla lockscreen and clockwork recovery. So I am curious as well. I was told when I asked that the lockscreen shouldnt matter. But all the problems I have seen are from lag fixes and gps fixes.

I can disable the OCLF just fine, but how do I undo the GPS fix? Nandroid back to before I did it?

No, I just checked the market place and it opened up fast just as normal it seems to be a solid update.
Wait, so you are saying Market->Downloads page (just not just market, but when you go to downloads) always opened up fast for you?

On my wife's Vibrant (not yet on JI6), it takes a good minute or 2 after you click downloads before you see the list of downloaded programs.

I'm curious if anyone else has a before/after JI6 comparison.

Did we always have Media Hub? I have it on my phone now. My phone was acting strange yesterday, I tried to reboot it and it took forever. FWIW, my phone is rooted with the lag fix.

I updated to the JI2 leaked ROM via ODIN. Not rooted, no lag or GPS fixes. Can I assume that I will receive notice and be able to update without problems?

Just got a text from T-Mobile that says:

"Samsung Vibrant Customers: Today we began sending an over-the-air (OTA) update which provides several improvements, including optimized GPS performance and new access to the Samsung Media Hub. The update will be sent in staggered waves through the end of October. You will be notified of the OTA via the Android Operating Notification Bar located at the top of the Vibrant phone screen."

Staggering waves through the end of October??? WTF??? I better get mine today cause I am SICK of waiting like everyone else...

Back
Top Bottom