• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

Got the update about an hour ago. I had LauncherPro loaded and it seemed to update just fine. I haven't had a chance to check out the GPS yet.

If you don't want to download an application like GPS Test you could just use the onboard test by going to the dialpad and entering *#*#1472365#*#* then go to "Test Application" and "Performance Test"

From what I read on the Captivate forums the update they got disabled that key sequence.

Found it Here;
http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/182773-gps-after-update-same-better.html

I think the only way to access it is to use Anycut and make a shortcut to the lbstestmode.

Plus i Also read that some of the Settings that you could change are disabled as well.

OK, i now have Task manager icon as well as a HD Camcorder icon and of course media hub works.

What i dont see now is in Settings> wireless and network,...is where before i could make the network only work on 2G or have 3G working. That is gone. Anybody know where that is now? I had it on 2G only(to save battery) before i did the update so i hope it will be able to get 3G...but i havent seen it yet.

anyone with this OTA update having MMS issues? also battery drain? Im wondering if its any different than the leaked JI6.

you can update it via odin (they've been doing it on xda).. so you don't need the OTA notification. so technically everyone can get their phone updated now. i'm a bit hesitant, since either method could brick my phone.

you can update it via odin (they've been doing it on xda).. so you don't need the OTA notification. so technically everyone can get their phone updated now. i'm a bit hesitant, since either method could brick my phone.
More info please... how is that?

Sorry for the cross post but the info seems pertinent here also

MY PHONE JUST SAID UPDATE AVAIL.... [friday morn 145am cst]
sorry for the caps

it asks if you want to update or postpone... so u can do it later mine was on the charger so i said yes... [if your plugged in you should be able to do it since the voltage is steady...]

i said yes...it says 10 mins....no 911 avail during update....update yes/no said yes....

phone reset...but not like normal reset...a white screen
says software update and a progress bar......seemed to be like 5 mins or so for the d/l
when it finished...screen said update 100% and ok...then it reboots like normal

seems to be sitting on the galaxy S screen....9 mins later aprox it finally got to the lock screen/startup...

overall time including d/l and update seemed to be 15 mins... or less

hmm ok well

still says 2.1 update1 baseband t959uvj16 eclair.uvj16

ok im off to bed! deff sweet dreams will test out gps in the am!

plz note this was a semi blow by blow description of "my" update process hopefully yours will be close to mine...!

Below is after I got up and was about/around town:

Well woke up and could be my imagination but the phone deff feels snappier not as much lag getting into and around on it, opening stuff changing menus etc.

As far as the GPS goes...there is great news and side effects!

Great news is it finally locks on/in to the birds very fast! under 20 seconds!

Weird part is at least once in each of the 3 tests that I used it in...sitting at stop lights ...the gps seemed to drift...as if i was down the street...it would tell me to make a uturn or make left/right turns...course corrections....then when the light changed and I got moving again it would snap back to where I really was.... very very weird my garmin nuvi sure as heck don't do that!

The course tracking was spot on...never lost any birds and have the Google nav maps crash like it was doing before!

So other than it "drifting" while I was stopped this is a HUGE improvement from the way it was before!

Stuff not GPS that was changed:
a] New Task Manager... very nice
b] Voice input for text messages
c] Media Hub loads (I didnt click thru the EULA to see how it works..)
EDIT
d] google market added a huge EULA...

I haven't had time to really play around and read up on all the changes...so if I have missed something...oh well

Enjoy

Ok after reading some of the posts in this thread and seeing nothing close to my description [flawed as it may be] I decided to c/p my entire post from other thread...

I will also grab the apps mentioned and also see how they perform with this update.

My impression overall is fantastic compared to what I and most of us had before!

Would be interesting to see if the steps changed or were drastically diff for others using the OTA

Oh a small detail I left out, the icon in the task bar is a diagonal red/blue arrows red top right to bottom left and blue in the opposite direction with a red kinda icon that looks like you have missed a call all squeesed into one lil icon.... nothing I have seen before

ahh and btw I'm in the Midwest... if that helps plot spanning of the OTA wave.

Enjoy! :)

OK, i now have Task manager icon as well as a HD Camcorder icon and of course media hub works.

What i dont see now is in Settings> wireless and network,...is where before i could make the network only work on 2G or have 3G working. That is gone. Anybody know where that is now? I had it on 2G only(to save battery) before i did the update so i hope it will be able to get 3G...but i havent seen it yet.

EDIT: they renamed them from 2g/3g to 'gsm only' and 'wcdma only' and added 'auto mode' which was selected by default for me.
settings/wireless and network/mobile networks/network mode/

MMS, no issues. Battery drain, cant tell yet.

As mentioned in another post, in Settings> Wireless and Network>Mobile Networks,...the option to only use 2G is gone now to save battery.

I used that a lot when i wasnt doing anything but getting emails. Had it checked before i did the update. Hope i can get 3G now and havent seen it yet but im at home using wi-fi.

MMS, no! Battery drain, cant tell yet. As mentioned in another post, in Settings> Wireless and Network>Mobile Networks,...the option to only use 2G is gone now to save battery.

I used that a lot when i wasnt doing anything but getting emails. Had it checked before i did the update. Hope i can get 3G now and havent seen it yet but im at home using wi-fi.

i replied to your other post regarding 2g/3g. it's still there but renamed to 'gsm only' and 'wcdma only' and added 'auto mode' which was selected by default for me.

link

so samsung is sending out the OTA update in series of waves? so........ what? theyre sending out like 100 updates to diff phones? and i know nobody knows, but how long would it be until the last one is sent? (BESIDES NEW BOUGHT PHONES)

so samsung is sending out the OTA update in series of waves? so........ what? theyre sending out like 100 updates to diff phones? and i know nobody knows, but how long would it be until the last one is sent? (BESIDES NEW BOUGHT PHONES)
They send it out in waves so every phone on their network isn't downloading something at the same time. They said it should all be out by the end of October.

From what I read on the Captivate forums the update they got disabled that key sequence.

Found it Here;
http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/182773-gps-after-update-same-better.html

I think the only way to access it is to use Anycut and make a shortcut to the lbstestmode.

Plus i Also read that some of the Settings that you could change are disabled as well.

the dial in method doesn't work after the update. i had to download ANYCUT to get to lbstestmode. freaking annoying. however, once i set the operation mode back to "standalone" and verified all other original settings............GPS much better!

Got mine this morning installed while I was getting ready for work. Took about the same as everyone else and tested the GPS once on my way to work and once sitting here at work and both times locked in in less than 15sec and was spot on. I'm very happy with this update. Was thinking about getting the new mytouch when it comes out but no need anymore with a fully functioning GPS this phone is all I could ask for and more!!

here in ny i haven't gotten the update

Just saying, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE. It's all with the serials and whatever on the phone. Has nothing to do with geography. Doesn't matter if you live in Bumb**** Utah, you'll get it when it's sent to your device.

Yea so I got the update. It said my battery was to low..so I charged it to 60% and restarted the phone because it would still tell me battery was still low.so when it restarted I could do the update. I have the lag fix on my vibrant. Not a good idea it was going well till it said update failed and it went to the samsung vibrant screen and just stayed there it did the tmobile jingle but nothing.. Had to flash my phone back to normal..

Back
Top Bottom