• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

Come on, you guys have been around here long enough to know how OTA's work. It literally has nothing to do with your location, time with TMobile, or the Mayan calender. I know. Crazy.

You'll get it when you get it, and if you can't wait, head over to XDA and install it manually via ODIN.

Oh, and I got the update. The GPS is fixed and working perfect.

I know, I cant believe it still. just compared to how it was.. every hour I have been turning on my gps and checking it and I get instant locks and I can even use my tracks while walking.. It is really nice, as you can see im still not over the gps fix.. and in the other post when I said it is working as good as my good old G1's gps, it is better now that I have matched up some tracks that I have done with both. Im lovin it! lol

I know, I cant believe it still. just compared to how it was.. every hour I have been turning on my gps and checking it and I get instant locks and I can even use my tracks while walking.. It is really nice, as you can see im still not over the gps fix.. and in the other post when I said it is working as good as my good old G1's gps, it is better now that I have matched up some tracks that I have done with both. Im lovin it! lol
I use my tracks also. I will be happy when I can do it again

With odin you need sdk? And does sdk work with windows 7.I've tried numerous times to use for screenshot with no luck.

My wife's vibrant says the same thing when I check. But hers is unlocked and running on at&t so I'm not sure it will get the update.

I hope she gets it... but from what i have heard she probably wont... because its tmobile pushing the update not samsung and since she is not on the tmobile network i dont think she will.. you will probably have better luck doing it manually.

Im still waiting on the update... wish i had received it this weekend.. :S

Since I've been doing nothing but waiting for my update, I thought I might ask a question about it. It seems to include a new task manager. The one thing that most folks here seem to agree on is that android works better without a task manager. Why then was one now officially added?

Come on, you guys have been around here long enough to know how OTA's work. It literally has nothing to do with your location, time with TMobile, or the Mayan calender. I know. Crazy.

You'll get it when you get it, and if you can't wait, head over to XDA and install it manually via ODIN.

Oh, and I got the update. The GPS is fixed and working perfect.

There are at least 2 options to update now:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/195986-why-not-update-ji6-now-manual-update.html

JI6 via Kies - xda-developers

Yea so I got the update. It said my battery was to low..so I charged it to 60% and restarted the phone because it would still tell me battery was still low.so when it restarted I could do the update. I have the lag fix on my vibrant. Not a good idea it was going well till it said update failed and it went to the samsung vibrant screen and just stayed there it did the tmobile jingle but nothing.. Had to flash my phone back to normal..

Mine locked at the Vibrant Screen as well, Master Reset didn't fix it either .... T-Mobile Sending me a replacement... disappointing ....

Mine locked at the Vibrant Screen as well, Master Reset didn't fix it either .... T-Mobile Sending me a replacement... disappointing ....

You can use ODIN to fix that if you want. Just download the JI6 update, get into download mode and let ODIN do it's thing. Happened with my phone as well and had to use ODIN to get it working.

You can use ODIN to fix that if you want. Just download the JI6 update, get into download mode and let ODIN do it's thing. Happened with my phone as well and had to use ODIN to get it working.

Thanks.... I had tried to use ODIN before with a lockup issue and couldn't get it to work with my XPPro setup ...did a factory reset ... and was OK ... now the new phone is on the way... so i am being antsy yet patient :)

I flashed back to stock using the,
xda-developers - View Single Post - JI6 is now an official update, under the assumption that in the eyes of T-mobile I would be able to receive the OTA update. Here's my thing though, wondering why I haven't seen any improvements to the Market which was supposedly a hot update I decided to do a few things:

-Restart the phone
-use Wi-Fi
-use 3G

none of these expedited the market update. So for fun I checked out the Settings>About Phone>Status area. Guess what? Under "Mobile Network Type", it's connected to HSDPA. HSDPA!? How is that possible on a phone that doesn't natively support it? (Note, my data speeds are that of sub 3G because of my area) The last time my phone read HSDPA was when it was rooted. Phone isn't rooted anymore, I undid the root after I supposedly flashed back to stock? So, am I back to square 1? Is my phone still rooted? Do I have stock? Will I not receive the OTA?:confused:

Just checking to see what I should expect as a worst case scenario wait time. What has T-mobile said about the timing? Still waiting...I want my GPS to work right.

Well, to be honest it's not much of a task manager. It only shows active apps, not background apps. A recent update introduced RAM management, but even then you cannot choose which tasks to kill.

It's more useful as a quick way to uninstall apps.

It used to say something else about initialization and the SIM. Am I still going to get the update? I only rooted my phone,but I have stock ROM.

Turn off your phone.

remove the battery

slide your sim card in and out 4 or 5 times

pop in and out you sd card 4 or 5 times

power back up

My phone was giving the same error earlier in the evening before I got the update and thats what I did to fix that error.

Don't panic it goes from that message to no firmware but 2 hours later up poped the update...

Good Luck!

How do you know you have the update? Can someone explain how the notification shows up? Can I check under notifications(so far I don't see a notification for an update)? Or is there some other trick to it? I am getting impatient with getting the update and could definitely use it for the GPS and the lag factor.

Does T-Mobile have a roadmap on when everyone on the network will be covered and rolled out the GPS update?

I'm too impatient to wait for the OTA. My wife and I both got our Vibrants at the same time, and hers has been posting notice of the OTA update availability for the past two days, but nothing for me. I had OCLF installed - not sure if that prevents notice from showing up or not. I reversed OCLF, un-rooted, and then uninstalled OCLF. Then used ODIN to flash the JI6 update as shown in OP. Haven't seen it really posted much but using Odin with the above linked files, I only needed to click PDA and select the .tar; I did not select any PIT file and it updated smoothly with no problems.

Pre-update, GPS would find anywhere from 11 - 15 sats, lock on 0 - 2, with accy anywhere from 5m to 20m. The real catch with GPS pre-update is that sometimes it just plain wouldn't do anything other than network-based location, or would take an extraordinary amount of time to sync/load sat-based location. Quandrant benchmark with OCLF was ~2200, and ~885 without OCLF.

Post update, I found 11 - 13 sats while locking on to ~5, indoors. Accy was ~10m. Outside, found 11 - 14 sats, locking on to 6 - 8. Accy still ~10m. Post-JI6 update, score ~885 for quadrant.

As far as GPS is concerned, the accuracy does not seem to have changed much, if at all. It is entirely possible (pure speculation) that the number of sats locking and/or the accy was entire a display issue. The one big difference will be the consistency of performance and usability of the gps. For reference, after the update the gps is still not accurate enough that it is pinpointing my location in my house (using Google Maps with sat view), but I suppose I am rather easy-going about the whole thing as I will not let the lack of performance in one feature ruin my enjoyment of the device as a whole.

My GPS worked pre-update to JI6. It was not great, but it worked. After the update the GPS is noticeably better with many more satellites seen and locked and faster lockup. :)

Hi all, total noob here. My husband's phone got the update this morning (nothing for me yet :(), but he was going to work, so I postponed it for one day. Does anyone know if I can make the update happen sooner than that, like at 12 hours? Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom