• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

Hi all, total noob here. My husband's phone got the update this morning (nothing for me yet :(), but he was going to work, so I postponed it for one day. Does anyone know if I can make the update happen sooner than that, like at 12 hours? Thanks for any help.

You can install Odin and do it with Odin or you can install mini Kies and do it that way. Otherwise you will have an exercise in patiently waiting.

I was afraid of that. Now he'll still have to run the update right when he goes to work. I'm not confident enough to do it via odin or kies just yet. Appreciate the answer, robo21.

ETA: Just looked at your other thread, robo21, I'm going to try kies mini. I can handle that. ty.

4. Will google navigation work overseas. I have heard people say yes and no. I am hesitant to buy apps like co-pilot as they cost a lot and have mixed reviews, so I wanted to find out about this.

Google Navigation is still not available in S. Africa, but I live there and on my HTC Desire I use a modified version of it, called "Brut Navigation", which is part of "Brut Google Maps" found here:

[APPMOD][09.08.10] Brut Google Maps 4.4.0.4414-brut16 - xda-developers

It forces Google Navigation to ignore the country its in and pretty much works great :D

Oh, and you don't need to be rooted.

I was afraid of that. Now he'll still have to run the update right when he goes to work. I'm not confident enough to do it via odin or kies just yet. Appreciate the answer, robo21.

ETA: Just looked at your other thread, robo21, I'm going to try kies mini. I can handle that. ty.

There is a rumor that effective Friday, 10/15, Tmo will have another means of forcing the update just using the phone. Again, this is only a rumor and I wouldn't count on it.

Trust me, I was not eager to get into Odin or Kies either. Then after I used both, I thought to myself "that was easy!" If you are worried though let hubby do it. At this point, I would recommend either Kies or mini-Kies.

Wassamatta you?

I was fine waiting for the OTA update and then used Navigation over the weekend. And by used, I mean turned on, lost signal, turnned off, turned on, looked up end point again, lost signal ,turned off, turnned on, looked up end point again... and lost my patience. I want to be updated.

And before you say it, yes; I am too much of a puss do do it mannually. I only need to see the word "bricked" one time before I get to that point. I'm about to search for your mini kies thing now though.

I was fine waiting for the OTA update and then used Navigation over the weekend. And by used, I mean turned on, lost signal, turnned off, turned on, looked up end point again, lost signal ,turned off, turnned on, looked up end point again... and lost my patience. I want to be updated.

And before you say it, yes; I am too much of a puss do do it mannually. I only need to see the word "bricked" one time before I get to that point. I'm about to search for your mini kies thing now though.

I know the feeling. But let me reassure you. Odin/Kies is nothing to be afraid of. Everything I've read here and xda supports the notion that the Vibrant/Galaxy S phones are virtually unbrickable. But you are the one that has to be comfortable. Just like I am not comfortable yet with root - I do understand.

I just used mini Kies using these instructions:

How Do I Update The Software On My T-Mobile SGH-t959 (Vibrant) Phone To JI6 Through Kies Mini?

Had two small "issues". First, at the beginning of step 4 where it says start Kies and then plug in the USB cable, Kies did not see my phone. So, I closed it, plugged in the phone (selected Kies mode for the USB connection), and then started Kies and it saw it just fine. So, for me the order had to be switched of connecting USB and starting Kies.

Second, when the update was done and the phone rebooted it stuck at the S screen. I got a message in Kies that I needed to select the Kies USB mode since the USB mode was not compatible. However, at that point I couldn't select anything on the phone because it was apparently hung. There was a previous message that the update had been done, so I unplugged the USB, exited Kies, plugged the USB back in, and rebooted. It hung again at the S screen. I just let it sit and after maybe 5 minutes the phone did boot and was at the prompt asking which type of USB connection I wanted. Selected Kies, started Kies on the PC, but the update was apparently completed. Pressed the Home key on the phone, and all appears to be fine. All the update features are in place and working.

So, I wouldn't call it completely smooth but it seems to have worked ok.

If it's a spoof it's a pretty good one.

Checking my version info I'm at the following:

Baseband version: T959UVJI6
Kernel version: 2.6.29
Build number: ECLAIR.UVJI6

GPS, Media Hub, and Task Manager are working as reported by others.

So far seems legit.

Yay, mini kies did it. Anyone who is wary of doing this, it's only slightly more complicated than loading pics into the computer.

using the link posted above to ars.samsung.com, the procedure is only slightly different at the end, but easy to figure out. Took about 10 minutes, but I had to use my POS work computer because my home pc is 64 bit. Thanks again, robo

eta: If you google ars.samsung, it looks like that's a site where they put support and updates for their products, totally legit.

Just got my update notification like an hr ago and updated it without any glitches. I did not notice anything stalling or extraordinary event while updating.

So looks like the wait for the GPS update is finally over for me and its over and done.

OK here are my post update system info

Does that look right or is that what it is supposed to be post update?

Just got my update notification like an hr ago and updated it without any glitches. I did not notice anything stalling or extraordinary event while updating.

So looks like the wait for the GPS update is finally over for me and its over and done.

OK here are my post update system info

Does that look right or is that what it is supposed to be post update?

That is correct. You are current as far as Samsung/T-Mobile is concerned.

Yay, mini kies did it. Anyone who is wary of doing this, it's only slightly more complicated than loading pics into the computer.

using the link posted above to ars.samsung.com, the procedure is only slightly different at the end, but easy to figure out. Took about 10 minutes, but I had to use my POS work computer because my home pc is 64 bit. Thanks again, robo

eta: If you google ars.samsung, it looks like that's a site where they put support and updates for their products, totally legit.

I knew you could do it! Good job!
hurray.gif
party.gif

Kies, odin, sdk, I have windows 7 64 bit and all I want out of life is to take a screenshot
Lol anyone care to come to ann arbor
and hold my hand through this?[QUOTE Se=w_bovine;1736826]What do you m
ean exactly?[/QUOTE]

You sir are correct

Okay...well, Odin certainly works. Kies...I believe so, but I just looked at the Kies Mini page and it did not specify 64 bit, just 32 bit.

SDK...no problem. 64 bit is fine.

You want screenshots of the phone? Are you rooted? Hmm...rather, is your phone rooted?

do I need a computer to root or do the new update from xda? 1 out of 13 satellites is getting old along with the lag.thanks.

So far the update is great! my gps is spot on and the new features are great also. Media Hub is up and and menu on the web browser is a bright control button(new), Also there is a new voice to text on the swype keyboard and that make it so... much better. Just got it still seeing what else is new will write more.

Back
Top Bottom