• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

I've noticein the update that the menu in the browser has new options, and that it takes more of a sweep to unlock the phone.

My phone recieved the update today. It rebooted, and started downloading the update. It got to 100% and said "Update failed, rebooting". Now, it's been stuck up on the Samsung Vibrant screen for about 30 minutes.

Phone is rooted and I applied the One Click Lag Fix. I imagine that's why I'm having problems, but any way to fix it?

Woo hoo! Woke up this morning to find the update had come! Installed without a hitch. The uodate came not a moment too soon, because I'm responsible for navigating to an Oktoberfest thingie a few hours away on Saturday!

Google Navigation is still not available in S. Africa, but I live there and on my HTC Desire I use a modified version of it, called "Brut Navigation", which is part of "Brut Google Maps" found here:

[APPMOD][09.08.10] Brut Google Maps 4.4.0.4414-brut16 - xda-developers

It forces Google Navigation to ignore the country its in and pretty much works great :D

Oh, and you don't need to be rooted.

Hey you are such a lifesaver. I did a bit of asking around about GPS overseas and no one ever suggested this. I see you are from Durban I was there a few months ago.....spent much of my time at Ushaka doing scuba diving. Loved it

Again, thanks for the tip. It will really change my life

Question: In the past I was always able to set my phone to EDGE only. I'd go to settings - wireless & network - mobile networks - & then I'd check the box that says "use 2G networks only." Well, now that's not an option in that menu! I always had it set to 2G during the day because I work in the outskirts of a 3G area & it drains a lot of battery during the day toggling between 3G & EDGE. Did they disable this feature?

do I need a computer to root or do the new update from xda? 1 out of 13 satellites is getting old along with the lag.thanks.

You could try this for rooting:

RyanZA's OCLF 2.0 - Android app on AppBrain

A lot of people have used it with good success. It won't help with the GPS problem however.

Without getting into more advanced things like flashing a custom ROM you'd need the JI6 update for help with the GPS.

If you do root and want to get screenshots you might try one of these:

drocap2 for root users - Android app on AppBrain

ShootMe (Screen Grabber) - Android app on AppBrain

Question: In the past I was always able to set my phone to EDGE only. I'd go to settings - wireless & network - mobile networks - & then I'd check the box that says "use 2G networks only." Well, now that's not an option in that menu! I always had it set to 2G during the day because I work in the outskirts of a 3G area & it drains a lot of battery during the day toggling between 3G & EDGE. Did they disable this feature?

Use GSM for 2G. They just changed the terminology.

Here's a reference link:

Difference Between WCDMA and GSM | Difference Between | WCDMA vs GSM

Not to worry! The names have changed but the functionality remains the same:
Go to Menu/Wireless and Network/Mobile Networks/Network Mode and select "GSM only" for 2G (Edge) only. Of course Auto Mode is default. Same function different nomenclature.

I knew you could do it! Good job!
hurray.gif
party.gif

:D:D:D:):):D:D:D sorry for the generic smileys ;)

Does nothing work with 64 bit?

It looks like switching to USB debugging will work with 64 bit.

Just want to say thanks to this forum. My nav system works flawlessly now. What a great phone this is.

My phone recieved the update today. It rebooted, and started downloading the update. It got to 100% and said "Update failed, rebooting". Now, it's been stuck up on the Samsung Vibrant screen for about 30 minutes.

Phone is rooted and I applied the One Click Lag Fix. I imagine that's why I'm having problems, but any way to fix it?

There have been reports of the OTA update tanking some phones. If you can't get it to boot properly by pulling the battery and rebooting or getting into recovery and doing a factory restore you may have to use Odin to flash back to stock.

I've not used Kies Mini, as I have no need of it, but you might look into that. My understanding is that the idea behind it is for manually updating the Vibrant to the JI6 release.

Look here for Kies Mini:

How Do I Update The Software On My T-Mobile SGH-t959 (Vibrant) Phone To JI6 Through Kies Mini?

It's unlikely that the rooting or lagfix had anything to do with your misfortune.

:D:D:D:):):D:D:D sorry for the generic smileys ;)

It looks like switching to USB debugging will work with 64 bit.

Just want to say thanks to this forum. My nav system works flawlessly now. What a great phone this is.

Yes...anytime you use ADB you need to have USB debugging enabled. I simply leave it on all the time for the sake of convenience.

Use GSM for 2G. They just changed the terminology.

Here's a reference link:

Difference Between WCDMA and GSM | Difference Between | WCDMA vs GSM

Not to worry! The names have changed but the functionality remains the same:
Go to Menu/Wireless and Network/Mobile Networks/Network Mode and select "GSM only" for 2G (Edge) only. Of course Auto Mode is default. Same function different nomenclature.

Thanks, you guys are fast! :)

This is a really important feature. I'm glad it's still in JI6. Of anything I tried yet it's by far the biggest help in conserving the battery charge.

There have been reports of the OTA update tanking some phones. If you can't get it to boot properly by pulling the battery and rebooting or getting into recovery and doing a factory restore you may have to use Odin to flash back to stock.

I've not used Kies Mini, as I have no need of it, but you might look into that. My understanding is that the idea behind it is for manually updating the Vibrant to the JI6 release.

Look here for Kies Mini:

How Do I Update The Software On My T-Mobile SGH-t959 (Vibrant) Phone To JI6 Through Kies Mini?

It's unlikely that the rooting or lagfix had anything to do with your misfortune.

Thanks for your reply. I've downloaded Odin and J16, however when I start the phone in download mode, I'm unable to get Odin to reconize my phone. Windows 7 says it was unsuccessful installing the driver Gadget Serial. I found another forum that said downloading Samsung PC Studio, and the driver will be included. However, that didn't work either. I'm floored. I cant find this Gadget Serial Driver anywhere. Because of that, Odin doesn't reconize my phone. Any suggestions? If not, looks like my next stop is TMobile to plea with them.... :(

Thanks for your reply. I've downloaded Odin and J16, however when I start the phone in download mode, I'm unable to get Odin to reconize my phone. Windows 7 says it was unsuccessful installing the driver Gadget Serial. I found another forum that said downloading Samsung PC Studio, and the driver will be included. However, that didn't work either. I'm floored. I cant find this Gadget Serial Driver anywhere. Because of that, Odin doesn't reconize my phone. Any suggestions? If not, looks like my next stop is TMobile to plea with them.... :(

You can find the drivers that work for me here, along with a lot of other good things:

[REF]***Vibrant Directory(Bible)***(10/12/2010)*** - xda-developers

Specifically, per that page:

Download Samsung Galaxy S USB Driver for Windows x64 Driver for Windows XP X64 / Windows Vista64 / Windows 7 x64 - Softpedia

Download Samsung Galaxy S USB Driver for Windows x86 Driver for Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 - Softpedia

Thanks again for your help. I was able to get the driver from downloading Samsung Kies. Phone is back up and operational. whew!

I think after if I ever get the update I will try the root thing .[/CENTER]
You could try this for rooting:

RyanZA's OCLF 2.0 - Android app on AppBrain

A lot of people have used it with good success. It won't help with the GPS problem however.

Without getting into more advanced things like flashing a custom ROM you'd need the JI6 update for help with the GPS.

If you do root and want to get screenshots you might try one of these:

drocap2 for root users - Android app on AppBrain

ShootMe (Screen Grabber) - Android app on AppBrain

i got the ota update today and my phone has been freezing up alot ever since i got it >.< i froze opening map,gallery,music and random freezes on home. does anyone else have these issues since the got the ota?
edit: i have had fully stock since i got i just installed the 2.2 market looking thing from here like 2 days ago but that didn't cause me any issues

I got the update yesterday, and it bricked my phone. So I used Odin to push the update through manually. I rooted my phone, and now have Superuser access. But I cant delete any bloatware. Any suggestions? Root applied using OneClickLagFix.

hmm, I wonder what happened, to this thread... I dont understand, I was the OP and its been saying cowppl is now.. wtf?

You guys do know that forceing any of these leaked updates. Or forceing 2.2 on you Galaxy bricks your phone so you no longer get any updates from tmobile includeing 2.2 or whatever may come along. Sucks to be you. Lol

You guys do know that forceing any of these leaked updates. Or forceing 2.2 on you Galaxy bricks your phone so you no longer get any updates from tmobile includeing 2.2 or whatever may come along. Sucks to be you. Lol
Thank you for your wonderful nuggets of wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom