• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Siyah Gingerbread kernel (v2.x)

It seems there are a few fairly serious conflicts in this kernel, hope the devs can get it to play nice.

I know they need to go public often to ascertain what works and what doesn't, but due to the general consensus arrived at in this thread, I'm sticking with Beta6 for now.

Sure do appreciate the efforts of the devs and you guys for testing and posting your findings here though, thanks!

Looking forward to ICS... wonder if this kernel will go RC before then?? :D

Upvote 0
Siyah 2.2 beta 16 is up! :D

Tips for flashing new kernel

Disable all SetCPU/Voltage Control settings that, "Apply on Boot".

Flash Ultimate Kernel Script from here:-

[SCRIPT]Ultimate Kernel Cleaning Script - 4.0 [MIUI/CM7 and SAMSUNG] [13.11.11] - xda-developers

Flash kernel and reboot.

On beta 16 and using Launcher Pro, I still find a jerkyness in app drawer scrolling using lulzactive and smartassv2 governors.

All other governors seem fine using 100-1200MHz and stock voltage.

The last time that either lulzactive or smartassv2 performed well for me was in good old beta 6.

"Changelog:

voodoo screen tuning app support (thanks to supercurio). you will be able to change gamma values using scripts. [DEV] Exynos Galaxy S II Screen tuning app - dev. snapshots discussion - xda-developers
fixed sharpness control in cm7 & miui
tweaked ondemandx governor
reverted all parameter tweaks in kernel code to defaults and moved them to tweaks.sh to apply them via sysctl interfaces. you can tweak them further by using your init.d scripts. you can find the tweaks.sh in /sbin/siyah and I have also typed the default values as comments.
some more tweaks for UI responsiveness
some fixes (such as sched_mc=2 problem which was causing more battery drain in beta15)
added some more governors but also removed most of them I compiled all available governors but some of them are compiled as modules. so, if you have a favorite governor which is removed, just

Upvote 0
I'm using beta 16 on luzactive governer 1200 max.
All seems well at the moment. It's the smoothest once certainly since beta 6 for me.
Only a handful of governors compared to beta 6 but the ones I tend to stick with are included so that's ok by me.

Scrolling through home screens and app drawer seems beta 6_esque so I'll run with this now for the time being and see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Go Launcher butty.
I've tested it further, and I still dont think its quite up to beta6 standards in terms of smoothness. Scrolling in the app drawer is just as smooth, but I have now noticed lags in the home screen scrolling. seems to be about 75% ok, but about 1 in 4 swypes I get lagging.

I'll test it out a for a bit longer, but I may revert back to beta6 soon

Upvote 0
Go Launcher butty.
I've tested it further, and I still dont think its quite up to beta6 standards in terms of smoothness. Scrolling in the app drawer is just as smooth, but I have now noticed lags in the home screen scrolling. seems to be about 75% ok, but about 1 in 4 swypes I get lagging.

I'll test it out a for a bit longer, but I may revert back to beta6 soon

I must say. overall, beta 6 is still the best for my configuration.

Since then I have not had lulzactive or smartassv2 working correctly with scrolling.

Have filed a report on xda but... who knows! :(

Upvote 0
Same here butty.
Beta6 seems fine on lulzactive for scrolling, and I'm limiting to 1200 MHz too.

I shall keep on trying the betas as and when they show, but I think it will probably mean going on a different governor for these to work effectively, probably ondemandx, as some work has been done on this governor in the last beta

Edit: Retried beta15 with golauncher, ondemandX governor 1200 max, and it isnt as smooth as beta6 for me. in fact, it totally hung my phone dead!

Tried beta16 with the above settings, and to be fair, its not too bad. On a par with beta6 possibly. I'll do some more testing...

Edit: ondemandx just hung my phone on beta16 too.

Beta 6, come back all is forgiven! :)

Upvote 0
B15 goes comatose if left alone - it's awesome! :)

Did you try changing the scheduler to something other than the default (sio)? That might make a difference to the responsiveness.

Be it upon your head Slug... :eek:

UPDATE

Tried all 5 I/O schedulers with both smartassv2 and lulzactive and they all cause jerks, stutters and shudders. In fact sio is the best of the bunch for me.

Thanks for the thought though mate.

I'm beginning to wonder if the launcher is the problem. I'm using Launcher Pro. It only seems to be a scrolling problem using the LP app drawer... nowhere else.

Upvote 0
I am trying to reduce the number of governors :)
I will add them if they are exceptionally good.
but now, I think an average user should use ondemandx and forget about the rest

Looks like ondemandx is the governor to use right now according to the developer, gokhanmoral, here:-

xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL] SiyahKernel v2.1 - "One kernel to rule them all" (SAMMY&AOSP ROMs)

I must say, that for me, ondemandx is both smooth and responsive. It also goes into a deep sleep with very few wakelocks. In fact, less wakelocks and better sleep than beta6. :D

Upvote 0
Looks like ondemandx is the governor to use right now according to the developer, gokhanmoral, here:-

xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL] SiyahKernel v2.1 - "One kernel to rule them all" (SAMMY&AOSP ROMs)

I must say, that for me, ondemandx is both smooth and responsive. It also goes into a deep sleep with very few wakelocks. In fact, less wakelocks and better sleep than beta6. :D

Oh lord now im gonna have to upgrade :D

For me Beta 16 is working smooth so far. No real change from 6 which to be honest isnt a bad thing. Running at 1200 MHZ set with Ondemand by default through Antutu cpu master. Installed after using the Kernal cleaner program. Running Launcher pro. Shall see how it is in the morning. :)

Upvote 0
I must say, that for me, ondemandx is both smooth and responsive.

I agree with you 100%. Using b16 with ADW Launcher EX I'm seeing 'microstutters' in the app drawer with SmartassV2 and Lulzactive, almost as if the drawer is paginated instead of seamless. Scrolling apps are fine, and moving between home screens shows no lag issue.... it's just the app drawer.

Not a show-stopper, and I haven't yet played with different drawer layouts to see if (for example) the horizontal scrolling options show the same effect.

I'll keep OnDemandX active for the rest of the day to see how it fares.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones