• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype Video chat on XOOM? Other recommendations? (Skype now compatible w/Xoom)

Yup, rebooted a few times, uninstalled/reinstalled the .apks. The main is version 1.1, the addon is version 1.0 and it continues to error because of this. Maybe I'll try to hunt down more recent .apks . Not sure why it does work for everyone else but me though ... Oh well ..

Why would you prefer yahoo messenger over gchat native app? .. Especially since you're going from Xoom to Pc .. It works flawlessly and everyone has a google email ... I could see finding an alternative to be used with Xoom to iOs ... That is more of where the video chat problem lies

Why would you prefer yahoo messenger over gchat native app? .. Especially since you're going from Xoom to Pc .. It works flawlessly and everyone has a google email ... I could see finding an alternative to be used with Xoom to iOs ... That is more of where the video chat problem lies

I am not sure if you are referencing me or not. If so .. I don't prefer any client actually. There is only 1 viable client now I see - Gtalk. It is not flawless for me however, and not everyone I know uses Gmail either. I am looking for a more universal client such as skype or even Yahoo, etc .. I am sure they will come over time, I just have to be patient ..

I am not sure if you are referencing me or not. If so .. I don't prefer any client actually. There is only 1 viable client now I see - Gtalk. It is not flawless for me however, and not everyone I know uses Gmail either. I am looking for a more universal client such as skype or even Yahoo, etc .. I am sure they will come over time, I just have to be patient ..

Yes I was asking you... But I see what you are saying and yes I want more outlets also ... I want to be able to video with iPhone and new iPad users ... For me gChat works great from Xoom to my husband's mac but from web page not iChat

Either way you hit the nail on the head when you said "I just have to be patient" but truth be told if we were patient we would have just waited to xoom came out with flash and 4g ... :-)

He doesn't have a Xoom anymore. When I use it, I just open up the contact and I have the option to call or chat.

just load into your xoom and it installs on its own

So... I downloaded this files. It works!! But when I tried using the video chat...my camera is at the back!! there is a "invert" camera on the screen but it wouldn't switch. So if I have to chat with someone I have to flip my Xoom for them to see me but I wouldn't be able to see them.:confused:
Is there a way to flip the camera around? There is no other settings that I can go into.

Yes I was asking you... But I see what you are saying and yes I want more outlets also ... I want to be able to video with iPhone and new iPad users ... For me gChat works great from Xoom to my husband's mac but from web page not iChat

Either way you hit the nail on the head when you said "I just have to be patient" but truth be told if we were patient we would have just waited to xoom came out with flash and 4g ... :-)

Tango works great between apple-android and will soon support computers.

because skype was bought by microsoft, it will probably never really be available for android. it wasnt even supposed to make it onto the phones but someone jailbroke it

Tango works great between apple-android and will soon support computers.

because skype was bought by microsoft, it will probably never really be available for android. it wasnt even supposed to make it onto the phones but someone jailbroke it

You might want to check your facts about Skype for Android. There are already a few android devices that have Skype Video working. The Xoom is just one of those devices yet.

Now as for Tango, did they resolve the issue of the image from the Xoom being upside down?

You might want to check your facts about Skype for Android. There are already a few android devices that have Skype Video working. The Xoom is just one of those devices yet.

Now as for Tango, did they resolve the issue of the image from the Xoom being upside down?

The upside down video issue has been fixed on the Xoom. Please check out the latest version of Tango that is available on the Market :)

Google Talk works the best if the person on the other end is using Google Chrome. Talked with my kids this way and it's lag free. As long as someone is logged into Gmail on Google Chrome, and it's all good.

The upside down video issue has been fixed on the Xoom. Please check out the latest version of Tango that is available on the Market :)

Which one of these programs will work with WiFi only Xoom. Every time I try to use one of them, it's always looking for a phone #.:mad:

Which one of these programs will work with WiFi only Xoom. Every time I try to use one of them, it's always looking for a phone #.:mad:

Currently Tango does require a phone number when registering on some tablets so feel free to register with a landline or a free Google Voice number. Your friends will still be able to find you in Tango through the email address you use to register. :)

Note - Tango currently requires you to register with a different phone number and email address on each device you wish to Tango on so make sure you don't re-use the same ones if you are registering multiple devices.

I now can log in to Skype on the XOOM finally, but there is no "setting" in the app to enable video calls that I see. From the blog: "Unfortunately, if you cannot see the video calling settings, it means your Android phone does not meet the minimum requirements needed to make Skype video calls. " Oh well, no skype for the XOOM yet ..

Brain hurts from all the options. My wife and I have Evo4gs, and I have a Xoom. Is there any video chat option which will work between them? I'm gathering Fring can, but we tried that months ago just between the Evos and weren't impressed - constant voice lag.

Back
Top Bottom