• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype Video chat on XOOM? Other recommendations? (Skype now compatible w/Xoom)

just rcvd email saying Skype video available for android.
Downloaded Skype and it works for telephone calls but no indication of video capability.

Any comments/clarification appreciated
Jack

Have you tried Tango I 'm not a techie, but I have had luck with the Evo4G (Not that 4G works, lol), and other smart phones inc iphone. Good luck, I'm just about to buy a Xoom and was hoping Skype worked. Oh well.. :(

Yes I was asking you... But I see what you are saying and yes I want more outlets also ... I want to be able to video with iPhone and new iPad users ... For me gChat works great from Xoom to my husband's mac but from web page not iChat

Either way you hit the nail on the head when you said "I just have to be patient" but truth be told if we were patient we would have just waited to xoom came out with flash and 4g ... :-)
Just wanted to say Thanks for the seemingly simple answer here. I've been trying to figure out how to use gtalk on my xoom with my husband via his mac book. We've been stuck on the ichat issue and just tried it when he went to the gtalk website and it finally worked!!! Many Thanks!

Just wanted to say Thanks for the seemingly simple answer here. I've been trying to figure out how to use gtalk on my xoom with my husband via his mac book. We've been stuck on the ichat issue and just tried it when he went to the gtalk website and it finally worked!!! Many Thanks!

For anyone wanting to communicate via Google talk with an iOS device the iOS will work well with using 'Vtok' from the iTunes store. :D

I just joined a "Hangout" from Google+ on my Xoom, and it works perfectly. I would suggest this as a very easy way to video chat with just about any device out there.

I just joined a "Hangout" from Google+ on my Xoom, and it works perfectly. I would suggest this as a very easy way to video chat with just about any device out there.

How are you doing that from your Xoom? When I try to start a hangout, I'm prompted to install a plug in which is only compatible with win/Mac/Linux.

I have enabled the video chat on my wifi xoom and I can initiate a video call, but the video is just a black screen? Anyone else with this issue?

Same here, video chat enable but the screenis simply blanks. Come on Skype/Microsoft, please fix it. S Ballmer did confirm their commitment to other platforms - or is this just playing to the gallery?

Device - Motorola Xoom (model MZ601)
Android version - 3.1
Network - Wifi + 3G (though no SIM card used at the moment)
Skype version installed - 2.5.0.160

Hi Guys,

As some have mentioned on this forum, I'm having similar problems with the video on Skype with my Xoom. When I attempt to make a video call the camera starts (I can see myself on the screen) while the connection is established and rings, but the screen goes blank whenever the other party picks up the call. The other party does not have the blue 'video' button available to start their video. On the Xoom side, pressing the video button during the call does nothing, unless pressed quite a few times in a row, following which sometimes a pop-up appears to select front or back camera (neither of which does anything, but this would indicate that the video mode is "on"...?).

I have re-started the device, and uninstalled/re-installed Skype, but no luck. I am doing tests by calling my wife's account on our laptop from my Xoom. Laptop has Skype version 4.1.0.179 installed on WinXP SP3 (never had any issue video calling other computers from it in the past).

Another thing is that the GTalk app on the Xoom works flawlessly with video, so it's definitely not a hardware issue. I'm thinking it might perhaps be worth updating to Android v3.2, or perhaps try installing an earlier version of Skype on the Xoom.

Of course, I have enabled video calling in the Skype settings, and even though GTalk works, this is not really a solution as all my family/friends contacts are on Skype...

Any help or any other idea would be most welcome. People have indicated on this forum that they've been able to get video calls to work with Skype on Xoom (rdesbris2, Boone450r, rexster314, ...). What versions of Skype and Android were you using exactly?

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom