• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I had half a weekend to play with the Note 3, what did I think? [Z1/808/S4 cam comparison too]

Wanted to add to this, just in case you didn't have time to test, NZtechfreak.

I remember an issue a year ago, where exFAT wasn't even a possibility. What's great about this is, exFAT doesn't have a file size limitation like FAT32. I wanted to be sure to point that out to people that this was an issue with a year ago.

No need to test, it definitely works - Samsung have supported exFat since the Galaxy S3 :)

Thanks for posting though, I'm sure many aren't aware of that.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
No need to test, it definitely works - Samsung have supported exFat since the Galaxy S3 :)

Thanks for posting though, I'm sure many aren't aware of that.

Thanks so much for mentioning that. My first Samsung Android phone was the Note 2 last year, but I was an early adopter of the 64gb card on older models of Android (e.g. Used a 64gb in my Motorola Photon), so I never went to research if OEM's started to support ExFAT formatting.

I started thinking about it and just remembered that it was YOU that did the video using the Smartdock last year!...Your video convinced me to get the smart dock!

For those that didn't get the Note 2, NZtechfreak did the absolute BEST hands-on video of the Samsung Smart Dock last year. When you have time, definitely check out his video here (as it'll likely make you want the smart dock as much as it convinced me to purchase one):
Galaxy Note 2 Smart Dock review - exclusive first look! - YouTube

You know, the only thing I couldn't figure out is, I had problems transferring files over to the hard drive I connected to the dock (e.g. too slow). It wasn't a big deal for me because I found it more convenient to just transfer the data while at work or on my laptop.

Upvote 0
I'm actually surprised that the unit reports the FULL 32GB storage. What did Samsung do to achieve that I wonder.

I just wish it would start supporting USB to Ethernet connectivity especially now that USB 3.0 is possible. Though battery life would probably take a good hit. I'm just not very fond of wireless.

Also does it have MHL 2.0? I would assume yes as the S4 had it. This just eliminates the power needs to power the HDMI connection. Less wires to fool around with.

Upvote 0
I'm actually surprised that the unit reports the FULL 32GB storage. What did Samsung do to achieve that I wonder.

I just wish it would start supporting USB to Ethernet connectivity especially now that USB 3.0 is possible. Though battery life would probably take a good hit. I'm just not very fond of wireless.

Also does it have MHL 2.0? I would assume yes as the S4 had it. This just eliminates the power needs to power the HDMI connection. Less wires to fool around with.

Ethernet over USB OTG would be welcome for a good many people, in demand feature especially amongst travellers in Asia (free ethernet in most hotels but pay for WiFi). So far the Padfone Infinity the only phone I've found with this functionality on stock firmware.

RE: MHL 2.0 - yes, I mention that in my post in the connectivity testing bit :)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones