• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still happy with EVO 3D?

Are you still happy with your HTC EVO 3D?

• Yes

Votes: 76 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • IDK

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Yes, but I'd like a phone on another carrier

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, but I don't want Sprint anymore

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Yes, but I want ICS already

Votes: 56 34.1%

• Total voters
I'm typing this post via my EVO 3D.

I'm @ the corner of happy & healthy.

I won't upgrade until Sprint turn on 4G LTE in New York City. And frankly, they don't have a specific date to when this will happen. I'm guessing sometime in the Summer. :-(

Came across an article talking about possibly March for nyc (not confirmed)

Thought I'd share that :)

DS

I know people will probably find this amazing, but I got my Evo3D back when it was released. Since that time, my phone has not been rooted, or had any kind of factory restore done with it. As much as I still liked the phone, it was getting to be annoying, because it only had 130MB of storage left on the main memory. Every time something like Facebook, or Google Maps would have an update, I would get told I don't have enough storage to install it. I uninstalled everything I could, and moved everything I could off to the SDCard, but I could never get more than 200MB free. I started having some other annoyances, like losing my wifi connectivity, even though it showed I was connected. Opening my email would take 30 to 45 seconds.

I decided that, much like my PC, I should probably just start fresh. This weekend, I backed up my SDcard, swapped it out for a better one, then did a factory reset. Dang. I had forgotten how nice the phone could be. It has been working fantastically. Apparently, there WAS a lot of built up leftover junk on it, because after the wipe, and reinstalling all of my apps, I now have over 600MB free storage on the main memory. In fact, I have MORE apps installed no than I did before.

All in all, I am very happy with my Evo3D even this far into its life. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't plan on upgrading it this summer. The M7 is sounding pretty nice. :) Anyway, I doubt there are many of you on this forum that have had your phones for that long that haven't wiped them at some point, but if there are any out there, wiping it is worthwhile.

The only drawback to it is, apparently one of the things that freed up some space, was a bunch of the preinstalled ringtones and notifications. Most of them I couldn't care less about. I remember there being a pretty good sized list though when I first got the phone. After the factory reset, I only had 3 notification sounds available. No big deal, since I generally make my own sounds for it. Also, of course, losing the HTC Flashlight. That isn't as big a deal, since you can find the link elsewhere in this forum to download the APK for it. Still don't know what possessed HTC to remove such a great little app.

I have the 3D from a week prior to the release date, and I still like it. It's my backup if something happens to the new HTC. I switched to the EVO 4G LTE in December for Jelly Bean for cell service. The 3VO lives on around wifi, and it's still useful. The 4 LTE is better than the 3VO now that it has JB. I like the screen, lighter weight and better function. I wish it were 3D also.

Well, I had my 3VO since about 0920 CDT the day it was finally released. It has been a good phone, with longer stress-free life than I had with my Pre :D, so I am rather satisfied with it... It does seem to share a characteristic with the Pre in that neither device will have been FULLY supported for the length of the contract I started when the devices were purchased and that just makes me :banghead:

Anywho, since this is my first HTC phone, they really haven't earned any loyalty, but I do LIKE Sense (tried a sense-less ROM for about 18 hours, once :D ), and I'm due an upgrade in APR. The One/M7 looks promising, but will the same thing happen. It doesn't appear Sprint will get the Nexus 4, and I'm unsure about the X-Phone.

My 3VO still has life in it, but it even seems like the dev on it is winding down somewhat. SO what's everybody doing, or has everyone already gone off to greener pastures elsewhere? Suggestions, thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated. :)

Well, I had my 3VO since about 0920 CDT the day it was finally released. It has been a good phone, with longer stress-free life than I had with my Pre :D, so I am rather satisfied with it... It does seem to share a characteristic with the Pre in that neither device will have been FULLY supported for the length of the contract I started when the devices were purchased and that just makes me :banghead:

Anywho, since this is my first HTC phone, they really haven't earned any loyalty, but I do LIKE Sense (tried a sense-less ROM for about 18 hours, once :D ), and I'm due an upgrade in APR. The One/M7 looks promising, but will the same thing happen. It doesn't appear Sprint will get the Nexus 4, and I'm unsure about the X-Phone.

My 3VO still has life in it, but it even seems like the dev on it is winding down somewhat. SO what's everybody doing, or has everyone already gone off to greener pastures elsewhere? Suggestions, thoughts and opinions are welcome and appreciated. :)

I think that new life was breathed into the 3vo. Especially since the Evo V was released for vm. There are a lot of jellybean roms being developed right now. I know you said you liked sense, but there is quite a bit of development going on. I actually thought I wouldn't leave sense but finally did when jellybean came around. You mentioned that nexus. That would be somewhat similar to running pacman rom. It is stock Android. I'm loving jellybean on the 3vo and now that I'm used to not having sense, I dunno if I'll ever want it back. Jellybean is so smooth. I don't miss my laggy sense days at all. But everyone has a different preference, and there are a lot of roms out there! I love my Evo still, And I don't like thinking about moving on. I think this is the first phone I've had, that I'm dreading upgrade day.

I think that new life was breathed into the 3vo. Especially since the Evo V was released for vm. There are a lot of jellybean roms being developed right now. I know you said you liked sense, but there is quite a bit of development going on. I actually thought I wouldn't leave sense but finally did when jellybean came around. You mentioned that nexus. That would be somewhat similar to running pacman rom. It is stock Android. I'm loving jellybean on the 3vo and now that I'm used to not having sense, I dunno if I'll ever want it back. Jellybean is so smooth. I don't miss my laggy sense days at all. But everyone has a different preference, and there are a lot of roms out there! I love my Evo still, And I don't like thinking about moving on. I think this is the first phone I've had, that I'm dreading upgrade day.

This ^^^^ coming from the man that caused me to be a flashaholic!!! :thumbup: I guess I misspoke and should have said that Sense ROM dev seems to be winding down as many Sense devs have lost access to 3VOs for one reason or another. And I was just over on another thread doing research causing me to lean back to THE One (that's the way I'd market it anyway:p ). Keep keeping me straight, Brian! :five:

(oh and since I'm on my third digitizer and have no down vol button, I don't know how long I can go without an upgrade, but this time for practical reasons rather than wanting the shiny new toy! :D)

Had my Evo 3D since launch. I've generally liked it, but I think Sprint and HTC dropped the ball with it.

Sprint dropped the ball because they abandoned Wimax, and their 3G sucks. So the data usage on this phone sucks unless you're connected to Wi-Fi.

HTC dropped the ball because they did this phone totally locked down, made it a major pain in the ass to unlock it, and then refused to support it. If you're going to lock a phone down like that, you damn well better be releasing all the OS updates that are available for at least 2 years after the last one is sold. That's the duration of most contracts, so that the least we should expect. If you don't want to support it, fine, sell it with s-off, or at least an easy way to get s-off, and release all the source code from day 1. That way at least the dev community can pick up the slack for the lack of updates.

I am nearing the end of my Sprint contract and will soon be leaving my Evo3D handset...

My Evo3D has been a great phone but anytime I think about my Evo3D and the hype around its release I always think this:

you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg

We were all kind of thinking the Evo3D would be the successor to the Evo4G and it kind of didn't turn out that way. I feel like the Evo4G LTE was the true successor.

Still happy with my phone and It has served me well, but as I approach moving to a new handset I often wonder what could have been. Had Sprint marketed the device better and if they had included LTE instead of WiMax, maybe we'd have seen more success and support for the Evo3D.

Overall it's been a good experience even though I've never seen 4G on my Evo3D. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bitter over the WiMax network never making it to Phoenix.

I rarely use the 3D feature other than to show off my phone to others. It is a cool feature though. I wish it was utilized more.

I am eyeballing a Nexus 4 or the "next Nexus" phone, whatever that may be. I got a Nexus 10 for Christmas and I can't see myself ever getting another non-Nexus device.

I can always play the "grass is always greener" game and say I wish I had gotten the SGS2 instead but my Evo3D is a great phone & has never let me down. Cheers =)

~ ArmyX

Now you can root it Army :)

I too was looking into the N4 for my next phone. The 16 gb storage limit is the only thing holding me back :( I wish it was expandable, I'd jump all over it.

Except for my charge port getting a bit loose, I'm still happy with my 3vo. Running stock android jellybean is nice and keeping this phone alive!

Yeah! Once I switch to a new hand-set I will for sure be rooting my Evo3D. =)

I don't have any issue with the storage. I have the 16gb Nexus 10 and I play a lot of games and I have 11GB left.

~ ArmyX

I'm not sure where all my memory has gone. But I only have about 4-5 gb left of a 32 gb card. Only keep one nandroid backup too...

Mine is still rocking strong on wifi.

This week it's plugged into my tv so I can re-watch the Red Dwarf series! :)

My Evo3D is going to become my device to fool around with. Gonna root & do all kinds of crazy stuff I wasn't brave enough to try when it was my primary PHONE line lol

Glad your Evo3D is still going strong! :)

~ ArmyX

Back
Top Bottom