• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TBolt to GNex back to TBolt and now Rezound...

first, you dont know why benchmarks are needed to compare device vs device, since comparing hardware parts wont give people enough info.

if u dont think benchmarks are not legit.. I dont know how u come up with 'rezound hardware's better' since when Rezound is using cheap and older architech hardware parts.

People don't consider benchmarks legit, because they are very easily faked. All it takes is an edit in the files to make a quadrant score go off the charts. Personally I go by real world use, if a phone feels slow or laggy then it is what it is. No quadrant score is going to convince me it is fast.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
That photo looks pretty good, I did get some decent shots with the GN just not consistent enough for me. BTW, I never said the TB had a better camera, just stating it was slow like some other phones because it focused before the shutter release, which is what I mean about acting like focus priority. I believe the GN focuses also just not as well. You were also asking about lens size earlier. I never looked at that spec but I do know that the largest aperture on the RZ is f/2.2 with a 28mm focal length, which is great for a phone, not sure what the nexus is.

To be honest I'm done here and moving on.

Thank you to the Mod. for cleaning up this thread a bit.

Happy New Year to all...

That photo looks pretty good, I did get some decent shots with the GN just not consistent enough for me. BTW, I never said the TB had a better camera, just stating it was slow like some other phones because it focused before the shutter release, which is what I mean about acting like focus priority. I believe the GN focuses also just not as well. You were also asking about lens size earlier. I never looked at that spec but I do know that the largest aperture on the RZ is f/2.2 with a 28mm focal length, which is great for a phone, not sure what the nexus is.

To be honest I'm done here and moving on.

Thank you to the Mod. for cleaning up this thread a bit.

Happy New Year to all...

first you dont need to know the spec to find out largest lens diameter it uses(effectie aperature) when u open up aperture to max
I said above clearly u can find it out within 1 minutes if u r really semi pro photographer.
for smartphones, since aparature value and focal length is fixed, u can easily find it out by looking at pic info on ur gallery thru smartphone.

f/2.2 with a 28mm focal length
sigh.. 28mm isnt the actual size of lens of rezound nor its actual focal length either.
thats 35mm equivalent. its confusing for ppl who have no idea on camera like u.

if u find out real focal length of rezound, i can tell u effectie aperature size of lens of rezound and also its sesnsor size.

Upvote 0
People don't consider benchmarks legit, because they are very easily faked. All it takes is an edit in the files to make a quadrant score go off the charts. Personally I go by real world use, if a phone feels slow or laggy then it is what it is. No quadrant score is going to convince me it is fast.

quadrant score is unreliable not cuz ppl can fake it but cuz it was last updated like 2009, and doesnt show actual score for ICS. (some benchmarks doesnt even work for ICS)
video I posted tested with antutu, cf bench, vellamo, neocore, when all benchmarks says 1 device is better than the other, its much more reliable than just someone saying 1 is better IMO.

Upvote 0
quadrant score is unreliable not cuz ppl can fake it but cuz it was last updated like 2009, and doesnt show actual score for ICS. (some benchmarks doesnt even work for ICS)
video I posted tested with antutu, cf bench, vellamo, neocore, when all benchmarks says 1 device is better than the other, its much more reliable than just someone saying 1 is better IMO.

Since your still talking.. last im going to say about better hardware package.

The nexus might have a slightly faster processor clock for clock then the rezound and maybe even a better gpu.

But when the radio is only pulling a 3g signal and 3g speeds it doesnt matter if the nexus has quad core or is a super cpu, the rezounds slightly slower processor and cpu makes it faster in real world tests which matter most to me.

I said package not cpu and gpu.

Camera, radio, speaker are a bigger difference then the slight performance difference of cpu and gpu.

Their both plenty fast for a phone.

The camera is a huge issue for some people.

And the radio and speaker make it usable.

No point in having a phone when it drops signal and cant hold onto 4g.

Like i said, i am still keeping my nexus though.

Upvote 0
Well, FWIW, as I'm now back in my home town in California, I did a few tests on the Rezound (since I swapped the Nexus for it in PA).

First of all, at my house where my Nexus would drop to 3G (or sometimes hold 1 bar of 4G, but speeds were 3 Mbps or less), the Rezound has unknown bars (shows 3G bars, which happen to be full but that's neither here nor there) but is pulling 15 Mbps consistently.

Had to run to the target just down the street for the bare essentials for the kiddos in the morning and where I would drop 4G about 30 feet into the local Target, I was still rockin' a 4G signal. I decided to wait until I was in the heart of the store to run a speed test, and was pulling 17-18 Mbps consistently where I had never gotten a 4G signal at all with my Nexus. I sort of wish I was able to debug further with my Nexus, because I see all these reports of folks having no problems and it makes me wonder if the radio in mine was bad. More out of curiosity for me as I was returning it for other reasons, but I am still curious to know if it was just my phone, just my area, or what! :thinking:

Upvote 0
Exactly same problem on both of the nexus i have had.

As soon as i go in a building poof im on 3g.

The rezound continues to hold 4g right next to mine and stays on 4g speeds.

Its not a display wrong signal issue when im getting 3g speeds in a building and every other 4g device is getting 4g speeds. Both nexus i have had is same way.

Upvote 0
Since your still talking.. last im going to say about better hardware package.

The nexus might have a slightly faster processor clock for clock then the rezound and maybe even a better gpu.

But when the radio is only pulling a 3g signal and 3g speeds it doesnt matter if the nexus has quad core or is a super cpu, the rezounds slightly slower processor and cpu makes it faster in real world tests which matter most to me.

I said package not cpu and gpu.

Camera, radio, speaker are a bigger difference then the slight performance difference of cpu and gpu.

Their both plenty fast for a phone.

The camera is a huge issue for some people.

And the radio and speaker make it usable.

No point in having a phone when it drops signal and cant hold onto 4g.

Like i said, i am still keeping my nexus though.

the way you make comparison is laughable.
CPU, GPU, Memory, displays are major parts of hardwares when it comes to desktop/laptop/tablets/smartphones.
and u go like 'they're both plenty fast for a phone' rofl

and your comment on camera is
The nexus camera sucks compared to rezound.
i cant say same? Rezound hardware sucks compare to GNex?
about camera, o really??

then all those review sites are lying then.
Galaxy Nexus camera: better than you may have heard (gallery) | ZDNet
Samsung Galaxy Nexus cam vs. iPhone 4S vs. HTC Vivid vs. Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews
Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs Nokia Lumia 800 vs iPhone 4S Comparison/Review. Part 1 ? Hardware & Performance Unwired View
Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4S comparison photos | The Verge

i'd give Rezound's camera performance in low light situation since it has dual LED flash light, brightrer lens, bsi CMOS.
also GNex use same light and proximity sensor as SGSII LTE, does it have same issue like GNex?
im expecting some patch for camera on ICS.

I know there are people with connection issues, if there's something wrong with intenna, then all people has to suffer same thing like Nexus S's GPS, iphone 4 intenna.
Galaxy S and Nexus S used same GPS chip (Broadcom BCM4751) and they all suffered same issue, no GPS without wireless connection.

if thats the case, SGSII LTE/GNote 4G/GNex should have same connection issue since they have same intennas. (dual antenna was developed by Gert FrФlund Pedersen and he sold patent to Samsung, SGSII LTE was first phone used that tech, and rest of galaxy use same antennas)
personally i never had issue with dropping 4G (orange county, cali) wherever I go here.

about speaker..
when GNex came out first, it had volume issue.. after patch its still not satisfying, so most ppl use volume+. its satisfying to me, louder than my iphone4.

about audio quality, GNex is one of best.
when compared to sensation XL (the one with ibeats), GNex was far better.
its because samsung supply apple with audio processors so samsung's smartphone's audio quality is similar as IPOD.
GSMArena feature lab: Enter new goodies - GSMArena.com

if u dont believe that site, ever crossed supercurio(voodoo)from xda?
its his comment on GNex audio (tweeter).
#GalaxyNexus #VoodooSound features I'll be able to implement (hardware) Analog HP gain, Mono switch. High perf instead of low power mode.

Concretely, with #WM8994 #VoodooSound, I feel the sound more "fluid" especially mids, also with better stereo separation. Something unique

#GalaxyNexus sound is great&everything (in High-perf mode!) but after a quick comparison I still like WM8994 #VoodooSound magic touch better

By black I mean no hiss, no noise, nothing at all. #GalaxyNexus might become the ultimate performer with isolating and sensitive in-ears.

Even better: when playing with #GalaxyNexus analog headphone amp gain it becomes totally black even with very sensitive in-ears. Awesome.

Yeah! I found analog headphone amp gain registers for #GalaxyNexus. and it works! A few more dB can be squeezed out of the amp.

For me the fact that #GalaxyNexus has a good audio potential is really a relief :)

Another #GalaxyNexus audio strong point: it catches no noise from my crappy USB hub. No CPU noise whatsoever either :)

.@elfary74 note: minus this tone appearing when there's no signal played. I consider stock #GalaxyNexus audio performance > iPhone/iPad SQ.

Yeah! 15s of music listening with #GalaxyNexus tells me there's a very nice potential here! (and it's quite good already)
lacking sensors
another factor u missed. NFC.
no NFC means no google wallet nor ISIS.
also features like touch and share.

I as an example, no issue with radio, speaker, camera.. then what would be the difference.. guess..

Upvote 0
I know there are people with connection issues, if there's something wrong with intenna, then all people has to suffer same thing like Nexus S's GPS, iphone 4 intenna.
Galaxy S and Nexus S used same GPS chip (Broadcom BCM4751) and they all suffered same issue, no GPS without wireless connection.

if thats the case, SGSII LTE/GNote 4G/GNex should have same connection issue since they have same intennas. (dual antenna was developed by Gert FrФlund Pedersen and he sold patent to Samsung, SGSII LTE was first phone used that tech, and rest of galaxy use same antennas)
personally i never had issue with dropping 4G (orange county, cali) wherever I go here.

You sure? I think the difference is Samsung's LTE chip + CDMA. Or just Samsung's chip. Those other 2 use GSM and HSDPA. And if those other 2 are using a Snapdragon...I think they may be using the LTE chip that the Rezound uses. And the International G Nex dosnt have LTE.

Upvote 0
You sure? I think the difference is Samsung's LTE chip + CDMA. Or just Samsung's chip. Those other 2 use GSM and HSDPA. And if those other 2 are using a Snapdragon...I think they may be using the LTE chip that the Rezound uses. And the International G Nex dosnt have LTE.

im pretty sure modem chipset isnt the one causing slower download/upload since most cellphones used qualcomn chipset.
samsung lte chipset's limit is 100mbps for down 50mbps for upload (UE category 3 same as qualcomn) people here are comparing devices at download/upload rate at around 10~20mpbs.
its not even an issue for motorola, all their devices use UE category 2 chipsets.

for iphone4's case was due to antenna. they put it outside sideways,most other smartphones put their intenna bottom of device to reduce SAR rating.
so that caused more deathgrip.

for connection issue, i think it might be both software/verizon issue.

Verizon essentially made it a network directive that all 4G LTE devices would use a single authentication system for both 3G and 4G data connectivity. They did this by requiring all 4G devices use UICC SIM cards, which allow for authentication on many types of networks.
.... Verizon is the only carrier in the US currently operating on this somewhat odd mixture of authentication schemes and network technologies. This means there are now millions of devices connecting to Verizon's 3G network using an authentication scheme Verizon hasn't previously utilized on that network, and (major) hiccups are occurring as a result.

This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection

also google reference phones are well known for low radiation. (SAR).
nexus one had 0.37 (Head) and 0.74 (Body), Nexus S 0.51(head) 0.78 (body), Galaxy Nexus 0.43 (head) 0.75 (body)
higher SAR emission doesnt always mean better reception but reducing SAR rating sacrifices radio reception.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones