• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root theme help tutorial

Incredible write up, very thorough. I came across this thread while searching for solution to a different issue. I'm ok with my current text colors, changed out what I needed. I'm trying to get my dialer (blurphone) looking the way I want it. I'm completely stuck on the keypad numbers - both color and font. I can live with the font, but the blinding white has to go.

Upvote 0
to change a wallpaper you can just drop the image on your sd card and select it, or you can drap drop it into the drawable hdpi folder with the same name as the wallpaper found in there already. there is another, i believe you can replace as well in one of the other drawable folders.

to change things around entirely you can open to counts of 7zip; one with the things you want to move in to the other, the other that you want to change things in.

then going from same folder to same folder; drag drop the image you want moved in to the other 7zip. then close 7zip and boot theme.

ex.: i want a status bar from theme A and to keep the rest of theme B.

open theme A in 7zip and go to drawable hdpi, find status bar png (image file for status bar), open theme B in another 7zip to same folder as theme A.
drag drop the status bar png from theme A in to the same folder of theme B. it overwrites the old status bar. close 7zip and boot theme. i now have the new status bar in my other theme.

Upvote 0
changing the script you see when loading your theme (updater script)

if im gonna want a script visible when people load my theme i try to port it into an acceptable for the rom theme with updater script already in it. ive tried to move an updater script over and it caused problems on load up.

go in to the theme you want to change the script on with 7zip and go to

META-INF\com\google\android\ (keep opening those folders until you see updater script)....then drag drop it on to hxd (download link in above tutorials for hxd).

find all the script put in there previously (usually between quotations) and highlight it, then start typing what you want (leave quotations and other fancy marks you want to stay)....when you are dont use the space bar to get rid of any leftover writing you dont want.
then save and drag drop it back in to the same place you found it.

you're done; you should see your words on boot/installation of the theme.
Untitled.png

Upvote 0
changing the script you see when loading your theme (updater script)

if im gonna want a script visible when people load my theme i try to port it into an acceptable for the rom theme with updater script already in it. ive tried to move an updater script over and it caused problems on load up.

go in to the theme you want to change the script on with 7zip and go to

META-INF\com\google\android\ (keep opening those folders until you see updater script)....then drag drop it on to hxd (download link in above tutorials for hxd).

find all the script put in there previously (usually between quotations) and highlight it, then start typing what you want (leave quotations and other fancy marks you want to stay)....when you are dont use the space bar to get rid of any leftover writing you dont want.
then save and drag drop it back in to the same place you found it.

you're done; you should see your words on boot/installation of the theme.
Untitled.png

It's a lot easier to just create your own script or edit an existing one in notepad++. I didn't realize you were doing it like this :p

Upvote 0
well look at that....lol....
is there a limit to how much you can type?
slacker on the tutorial....booooo.....
wheres our putting java in your path tutorial.....more boooooo..

boooo.....lol....

I don't think there is a limit to what you can type, never really tried to max it out. You can type quite a bit before you could ever reach the limit, if there even is one :D

Maybe this weekend if I get some time I can do something about that tutorial.....I don't see people asking for it though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones