• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unofficial AOSP Builds

Upvote 0
yea had a long chat with somcomx from carbon team last night, gunna need to flesh out prop blobs for the peregrine as the falcon ones work alright but not perfectly.

unfortunately we hit a bit of a set back last night, we both kept trying to compile only to find out that cm broke everything for all msm8226 devices by changing stuff from CAF. it pissed dhacker off again he removed falcon from nightlies. we have some more work to do now to get it back to building and then booting but im hopeful that by monday we should have a booting build again and we can go from there :(

Reactions: rvem and alfick3
Upvote 0
yea had a long chat with somcomx from carbon team last night, gunna need to flesh out prop blobs for the peregrine as the falcon ones work alright but not perfectly.

unfortunately we hit a bit of a set back last night, we both kept trying to compile only to find out that cm broke everything for all msm8226 devices by changing stuff from CAF. it pissed dhacker off again he removed falcon from nightlies. we have some more work to do now to get it back to building and then booting but im hopeful that by monday we should have a booting build again and we can go from there :(
Yeah, CM for falcon isn't any good after the 21st nightly. All sound and even the phone, is broken. Can't make our receive calls.

Upvote 0
Here are some Vold logs after booting Carbon:

Code:
--------- beginning of /dev/log/system
I/Vold    (  344): Vold 2.1 (the revenge) firing up
D/Vold    (  344): Volume sdcard1 state changing -1 (Initializing) -> 0 (No-Media)
D/Vold    (  344): Volume usbdisk state changing -1 (Initializing) -> 0 (No-Media)
D/Vold    (  344): Volume sdcard1 state changing 0 (No-Media) -> 2 (Pending)
D/Vold    (  344): Volume sdcard1 state changing 2 (Pending) -> 1 (Idle-Unmounted)
I/Vold    (  344): /dev/block/vold/179:65 being considered for volume sdcard1
D/Vold    (  344): Volume sdcard1 state changing 1 (Idle-Unmounted) -> 3 (Checking)
D/Vold    (  344): Trying to get filesystem type for /dev/block/vold/179:65
D/Vold    (  344): Found vfat filesystem on /dev/block/vold/179:65
I/Vold    (  344): Filesystem check completed OK
E/Vold    (  344): /dev/block/vold/179:65 failed to mount via VFAT (No such file or directory)
E/Vold    (  344): Volume sdcard1 found no suitable devices for mounting :(
D/Vold    (  344): Volume sdcard1 state changing 3 (Checking) -> 1 (Idle-Unmounted)
W/Vold    (  344): Returning OperationFailed - no handler for errno 0
Looking into it now but no clue what I'm doing :D

Oh, I should add that in my initial attempts to build the device tree, I did a diff of stock /system and Moto G /system. These are the results: http://bpaste.net/show/FFUJOZQSav8eWa4Kp2TE/

A few things changed, like GPS and such.

Upvote 0
Nope, that was wrong. It should be managed by vold I think. Checked the fstab too:

Code:
# Android fstab file.
# The filesystem that contains the filesystem checker binary (typically /system) cannot
# specify MF_CHECK, and must come before any filesystems that do specify MF_CHECK
#<src>                                              <mnt_point>  <type>  <mnt_flags and options>                                                        <fs_mgr_flags>
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system       /system      ext4    ro,barrier=1                                                                   wait
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata     /data        f2fs    rw,discard,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,inline_xattr,errors=recover         wait,nonremovable,encryptable=footer,length=-16384
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/cache        /cache       ext4    rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,noauto_da_alloc,barrier=1    wait,check
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fsg          /fsg         ext4    defaults                                                                       recoveryonly
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem        /firmware    ext4    defaults                                                                       recoveryonly
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/persist      /persist     ext4    defaults                                                                       recoveryonly
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot         /boot        emmc    defaults                                                                       recoveryonly
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery     /recovery    emmc    defaults                                                                       recoveryonly

/dev/block/mmcblk1p1                        /external_sd auto    default                                        recoveryonly
/devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host                        auto         vfat    defaults                                            voldmanaged=sdcard1:auto,migrate=target,noemulatedsd
/devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host                    auto         auto    defaults                                                                       voldmanaged=usbdisk:auto
/dev/block/zram0                                    none         swap    defaults                                                                       zramsize=134217728
and reading through the docs at https://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/config.html it seems to be as it should be.

I'm lost but I hope what I've gathered can help with the sdcard issues :')

EDIT:
Code:
/devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host                        auto         vfat     defaults                                             voldmanaged=sdcard1:auto,migrate=target,noemulatedsd

Comparing this to a similar fstab from https://github.com/dridri/android_device_samsung_ks01lte_common/blob/master/rootdir/etc/fstab.qcom I think this should be
Code:
/devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1                        auto         vfat     defaults                                             voldmanaged=sdcard1:auto,migrate=target,noemulatedsd

I tried editing the fstab directly on the device but I didn't realise the root was an initramfs produced ramdisk, which was a rather fail move on my part.

It might actually be that the sdcard1 dir is missing after all. I was missing the last example here, where they create the sdcard1 mountpoint: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/config-example.html

Anyhow, enough meddling. Sorry for the spam :/

Upvote 0
no spam at all. as it currently stands cm merged in a bunch of stuff that broke msm8226 stuff, add to that that motos kernel was pretty much unified and worked almost flawlessly. then they tried to push out some form of kernel source for the moto g 4g and its crashing like complete ass. i havent been able to get a booting build once we updated everything, somcom3x has but shitloads of crap was broken in it.

as per regarding the fstab its set to auto for its mount point, there is something currently blocking it from mounting and not having it defined may be it, but currently we have to start all over. i was unaware that this device was going to need so many changes from the non 4g model including the gyroscope which is why photosphere etc is missing.

Upvote 0
great to hear, i ha dthe fstab and storagelist working fine which is why sdcard showed up, but it was just a few lines in the init.qcom.rc that needed altering to enable mounting. everyone be sure to thank nupich :)

im uploading another zip now with the audio fix merged in as well, because source is broken this will just be a zip with the fixes psuhed it in as building from source is currently broken for me.

Upvote 0
ok, i grabbed the stock rom and swapped out the two required libs. audio should be fixed in my next upload, i need to go through and try to figure out what blobs are needed for teh gyroscope to work.

i have fairly slow home internet so it takes about 30 mins for a build to upload so apologies on the slow goings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones