• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unofficial AOSP Builds

Does anyone have any feedback on ShabbyPenguins 8/7 #2 build?

In particular does Audio, Wifi, GPS, Gyro work? What doesn't work ??

I'm using 16/7 build patched up with various libs and all the above work for me, so I'm reluctant to upgrade to later CM build in case things break ..

Everything seems to be working as it should... Sensors, GPS, camera, external SD, wifi, BT, miracast etc. Audio is fine, but here it sometimes lags when connected to car Bluetooth player (same behavior as all the other ROMs... even with audio fix patch installed... May be an incompatibility issue with my cheap player though)

Make a nandroid backup just to be safe and you are ready to dirty flash it...

Everything seems to be working as it should... Sensors, GPS, camera, external SD, wifi, BT, miracast etc. Audio is fine, but here it sometimes lags when connected to car Bluetooth player (same behavior as all the other ROMs... even with audio fix patch installed... May be an incompatibility issue with my cheap player though)

Make a nandroid backup just to be safe and you are ready to dirty flash it...

unfortunately, I am having audio problems with this build. apollo crashes... every time...

I don't have time to investiage right now so I'm going back to my nandroid backup for the time being... :-(

unfortunately, I am having audio problems with this build. apollo crashes... every time...

I don't have time to investiage right now so I'm going back to my nandroid backup for the time being... :-(
Confirmed Apollo crash with Shabby build... I was using PowerAmp, so I didn't notice...

Build 08/08 from nupich has same behavior, even with audiofix patch...

I have done a clean install of 8/7 #2 having wiped all partitions, system, boot, dalvik, cache, data. In my experience with previous phones and rom's this has always been considered "best practice".
I can tell you that at my end:
Device-only GPS is NOT working.
I get H+ signal, but I think there is no LTE available in my area, so can't comment. (If I've just said something stupid and H+ & LTE are the same please correct me)
Google Play Music has problems streaming content. Apollo crashes.
The external SD-card is inaccessible

Have I understood things properly and can we confirm that, in order to fix these issues, the advice at the moment is indeed to do a "dirty" flash over stock?
I'm gonna try installing stock now and I'll report back. But that feels less than ideal I suppose.

I have done a clean install of 8/7 #2 having wiped all partitions, system, boot, dalvik, cache, data. In my experience with previous phones and rom's this has always been considered "best practice".
I get H+ signal, but I think there is no LTE available in my area, so can't comment. (If I've just said something stupid and H+ & LTE are the same please correct me)

Have I understood things properly and can we confirm that, in order to fix these issues, the advice at the moment is indeed to do a "dirty" flash over stock?
I'm gonna try installing stock now and I'll report back. But that feels less than ideal I suppose.

is your sdcard UHS-1 speeds? if so currently teh kernel doesnt support it

I dont have an 8/8 build. all these bug reports about various builds is getting confusing.

I'm using the OUDhs sources and just building plain CM.

Everything works using those sources at the moment, that's what's important :)

We don't have a single valid bug report against these most recent builds now :D

OK! I'm getting good at all this flashing, unlocking, relocking, more flashing, more unlocking, more... if a bit bored though.
So, with the help of some .bat scripts I learned how ridiculously easy they are to make (hint: they are just txt files with extension changed) I:
re-locked to stock
used Device-only GPS
unlocked
used Device-only GPS (as a test)
flashed TWRP
Installed 8/7 #2 + Gapps as dirtly (that a word?) as allowed. Had to Factory Reset.

And... Device-only GPS works! Hurray!.
Wi-Fi was never a problem. Still isn't.

But all's not well:
my UHS-1 SD-Card does not. :-( Oh well! - Do the kernel guys know about it then?
Apollo and Google Play Music... Nein! What's the advice on that one again you said? What's best, some alternative player or some patch/fix? Google Play Music did kinda work back on 7/31 #2, although volume control was erratic I seem to remember.

And what else can I volunteer to check for you?

So, in short, keep it Diiiiiiirty baby! but only for the GPS

OK! I'm getting good at all this flashing, unlocking, relocking, more flashing, more unlocking, more... if a bit bored though.
So, with the help of some .bat scripts I learned how ridiculously easy they are to make (hint: they are just txt files with extension changed) I:
re-locked to stock
used Device-only GPS
unlocked
used Device-only GPS (as a test)
flashed TWRP
Installed 8/7 #2 + Gapps as dirtly (that a word?) as allowed. Had to Factory Reset.

And... Device-only GPS works! Hurray!.
Wi-Fi was never a problem. Still isn't.

But all's not well:
my UHS-1 SD-Card does not. :-( Oh well! - Do the kernel guys know about it then?
Apollo and Google Play Music... Nein! What's the advice on that one again you said? What's best, some alternative player or some patch/fix? Google Play Music did kinda work back on 7/31 #2, although volume control was erratic I seem to remember.

And what else can I volunteer to check for you?

So, in short, keep it Diiiiiiirty baby! but only for the GPS

Dirty from stock = bad. Try doing it all clean and see if it works. I'm running it right now and all is well. Just make sure you only wipe system, data and cache.

H+ and LTE are not the same.

Just did a Carbon build and updated the CM build.

Haven't tested them myself yet but you can get them both here: Index of /

If you have issues with them, please specifically mention me in bug reports so that Shabby knows it's not his fault :)

I'm also attempting builds of Slim and Vanir :)

EDIT: Preliminary tests of Carbon indicate it's operational (Music, GPS, Sensors, 3G and Wifi were all I tested).

Nupich, just tried your carbon build and it seems to run really well on my xt1039 on first glance :D
except wifi (so i can't really test GPS, gyro etc - and as my SIM will be switched on on monday i can't test this)...
but i recall reading something about wifi-problems and a workaround here - just got no time now, will report back tomorrow if this workaround helped and if more tesing reveals more problems ;)

Nupich, just tried your carbon build and it seems to run really well on my xt1039 on first glance :D
except wifi (so i can't really test GPS, gyro etc - and as my SIM will be switched on on monday i can't test this)...
but i recall reading something about wifi-problems and a workaround here - just got no time now, will report back tomorrow if this workaround helped and if more tesing reveals more problems ;)

The 'workaround' for wifi and GPS at the moment seems to be:
- Grab stock firmware from Moto G 4G/LTE Stock Firmware (XT1039/40/42/4

i thought this workaround is only for GPS?
gps and wifi both worked fine in shabbys slim and CM-builds, but CM is not really appealing to me, and sound is broken in slim :(
last thing i had was a restored slim, i then wiped dalvik, cache, data and system and flashed your build + full gapps (from slimroms.net if that matters)

without internet i cant test if GPS works, though ^^

i don't know about the chips, everything i read so far seems that 1039 and 1045 should be the same besides the bands

Confirmed wifi broken on Carbon build after clean install... Was using CM build 08/07 from shabby with everything working... Will install stock now and, after that, will clean install Carbon again and see if the results are different...

EDIT: WiFi broken... No way to make it work... Clean or dirty install from cm or stock... All the same.

Confirmed wifi broken on Carbon build after clean install... Was using CM build 08/07 from shabby with everything working... Will install stock now and, after that, will clean install Carbon again and see if the results are different...

Yup, sorry. Confirmed that myself too. Getting 'driver not loading'. Switching the device tree up a bit and checking if that works.

Can we make these official builds? As official nightly builds and get them from Cyanogenmod. I really don't know how it works but I'm curious to know.

Can we make these official builds? As official nightly builds and get them from Cyanogenmod. I really don't know how it works but I'm curious to know.

someone would have to take the work, say they want to be the maintainer submit it to gerrit, push through all the changes needed to the regular moto g source and then be a maintainer. that means any updates or code changes would fall to them to fix and do.

Other builds aren't going well, getting msm8926 defconfig undefined from the kernel. I've tried the KK and CM-11 branches. Not sure what I broke but even Carbon won't work now.

Somcom, any idea what my manifest should look like?

P.S. The wifi problem is that module not loading one you had before.

Other builds aren't going well, getting msm8926 defconfig undefined from the kernel. I've tried the KK and CM-11 branches. Not sure what I broke but even Carbon won't work now.

Somcom, any idea what my manifest should look like?

P.S. The wifi problem is that module not loading one you had before.

Okay, cm is failing because of busybox shit again, the other two are failing because

Code:
*** Can't find default configuration "arch/arm/configs/msm8926_mmi_defconfig"!
/home/gallis/Build/android/slimkat/kernel/motorola/msm8226/scripts/kconfig/Makefile:99: recipe for target 'msm8926_mmi_defconfig' failed
make[3]: *** [msm8926_mmi_defconfig] Error 1
/home/gallis/Build/android/slimkat/kernel/motorola/msm8226/Makefile:501: recipe for target 'msm8926_mmi_defconfig' failed
make[2]: *** [msm8926_mmi_defconfig] Error 2
Makefile:135: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/gallis/Build/android/slimkat/kernel/motorola/msm8226'
build/core/tasks/kernel.mk:174: recipe for target '/home/gallis/Build/android/slimkat/out/target/product/peregrine/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/.config' failed
make: *** [/home/gallis/Build/android/slimkat/out/target/product/peregrine/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/.config] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Using manifest:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Please do not manually edit this file-->
<manifest>
  <remote fetch="git://github.com/" name="peregrine" />
  <project name="OUDhs/android_device_motorola_peregrine" path="device/motorola/peregrine" remote="peregrine" revision="kk" />
  <project name="OUDhs/android_kernel_motorola_msm8226" path="kernel/motorola/msm8226" remote="peregrine" revision="kk" />
  <project name="OUDhs/proprietary_vendor_motorola" path="vendor/motorola" remote="peregrine" revision="kk" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_qcom_common" path="device/qcom/common" remote="peregrine" revision="cm-11.0" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_motorola_qcom-common" path="device/motorola/qcom-common" remote="peregrine" revision="cm-11.0" />
  <project name="somcom3x/android_device_motorola_msm8226-common" path="device/motorola/msm8226-common" remote="peregrine" revision="kk2" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_fm" path="hardware/qcom/fm" remote="peregrine" revision="cm-11.0" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_display-caf-new" path="hardware/qcom/display-caf-new" remote="peregrine" revision="cm-11.0" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_media-caf-new" path="hardware/qcom/media-caf-new" remote="peregrine" revision="cm-11.0" />
</manifest>

Back
Top Bottom