• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB tether?

syi

Android Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2011
oregon
So I've been surfing the web trying to find a way to make ad-hoc wifi or "ad-hoc party" on my phone for use with my PSP. The only thing I found is one vague comment saying that if I am rooted I can just USB it. Somehow I doubt this. I've never seen a micro USB to a mini USB. So how do I go about this?

The problem is it has to be ad-hoc. Not only that but ad-hoc with internet. But I wasn't asking about ad-hoc if you had read my post. I was asking about USB tether
Now, ocn is one of the most helpful members I know of, I'm sure he read the post.... I think he was just offering an alternative solution. :D
not too familiar with ad hoc, but couldnt you just use the hacked hotspot or maybe do a wireless tether?

So I've been surfing the web trying to find a way to make ad-hoc wifi or "ad-hoc party" on my phone for use with my PSP. The only thing I found is one vague comment saying that if I am rooted I can just USB it. Somehow I doubt this. I've never seen a micro USB to a mini USB. So how do I go about this?
I've not heard of these cables either - and I'm pretty sure the psp's firmware would need to support a USB drive as the Internet connection - not sure if it does.

How portable do you need to be? I once used my laptops wifi card to create an ad-hoc shared internet connection that was piping my dial up line to my ipod... so if you don't need to be terribly mobile, that might be a work around. Good luck with it though! :)

Upvote 0
Basically its not a need for mobile. I don't have a landline to use Xlink Kai so this would be the best solution short of buying a ps3. Its just mind boggling how the PSP can do so many things in infrastructure but most games are ad-hoc only.
wifi tether on the market can do adhoc in fact only recent ones really allow infrastructure mode.
https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Reactions: syi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones