• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root velocity 1 dalvik to cache

dcooterfrog

I already odexed velocity. that saved some space.

I see that velocity 1 does not move the dalvik to cache.

I am thinking about using the dtapps2sd script to move dalvlik to Cache
ie as2sd cachepart NOT TO SD but the phones cache partition
is this a bad idea why?

is there any advantage to either of these

align
Performs a one-time zipalign on all APK files in /data/app and /data/app-private.

zipalign
Allows ZipAlign to execute during the boot process. Creates the ZipAlign flag file.
File Created: /data/.zipalign

I don't want to talk about moving apps to sd wit this script. I did kill a mediocre 32 gb class 10 card in 62 days. it might or might not have been the cause. but I don't want to try it right now.

We took out dalvik2cache because it caused some problems, it was awile ago and my memory is crap. You are more than welcome to give it a shot, make sure you backup before trying.

Zipalign is only needed when an apk is modified, having it run every boot is excessive

thanks. so I can give it try. it amy or may not work. it caused some problems. if you remember them it would be good to know but if not ...

on the zip align it might be useful but at boot is overkill.

Ive been doing just that for a couple weeks now and havent NOTICED any problems. Except when i first moved it so i wiped it and as far as ive been able to tell things have been going fine.

if enough people get comfortable with this perhaps it could be added to the velocity scripts.

if not no big deal its easy enough to do. took 3 minutes once I downloaded the zip

if enough people get comfortable with this perhaps it could be added to the velocity scripts.

if not no big deal its easy enough to do. took 3 minutes once I downloaded the zip

also i got a placebo apps2sd when i flashed the zip. just ran the uninstall command just to make sure everyth9ing was in the right place. i have no idea what caused this but it seemed to have moved some apps. didnt have an sd ext but something changed

I already have plans to incorporate SOME of dt's a2sd into the script such as the dalvik2cache, dont expect officially supported a2ext on velocity though, it causes to many problems

I already have plans to incorporate SOME of dt's a2sd into the script such as the dalvik2cache, don't expect officially supported a2ext on velocity though, it causes to many problems
great by "this" I meant dalvik to cache maybe the zipalign if it has any benefit.

I also said I had a sd card go bad. the has been a lot of talk on the forum about a2ext being really hard on the card. I am not sure if that's true but before velocity 1 I was using a2ext and d2ext from the scripts on a stock rooted phone.

I already odexed velocity. that saved some space.

I see that velocity 1 does not move the dalvik to cache.

I am thinking about using the dtapps2sd script to move dalvlik to Cache
ie as2sd cachepart NOT TO SD but the phones cache partition
is this a bad idea why?

is there any advantage to either of these

align
Performs a one-time zipalign on all APK files in /data/app and /data/app-private.

zipalign
Allows ZipAlign to execute during the boot process. Creates the ZipAlign flag file.
File Created: /data/.zipalign

I don't want to talk about moving apps to sd wit this script. I did kill a mediocre 32 gb class 10 card in 62 days. it might or might not have been the cause. but I don't want to try it right now.

What is odexed velocity mean.? And what does it do

there is an option in the velocity script to odex the rom. it saves a bunch of space but it means I can't theme it.
I applied the ginger blue theme and then ran the script.

I included this in Script update 20.... I only did limited testing, made sure installed apps worked, and market downloads, I would appreciate it if someone has time to do soem more serious testing

I included this in Script update 20.... I only did limited testing, made sure installed apps worked, and market downloads, I would appreciate it if someone has time to do soem more serious testing

I updated as soon as I read this and tried the dalvik to cache toggle....EVERYTHING force closed...Had to restore a nandroid...I don't know if it was something I did or what...but it sucked.lol. Any ideas on what went wrong?

wow that was fast. I did some testing with a2sd cachepart and I had some issues so I rolled it back.

my issues were silly and may not be related. I couldn't do a batch backup with tibu
doing a nandroid backuo now nd ill try this...

tried it and I say my free space jump fro m40 ish to 60 ish. that seems about right
I did not force close on anything.
I also did the zip align and it did something on 2 apps. seems right because i did it the other day before a couple of app updates

ill report back on Monday.

mine was running great until I rebooted. then I had the wonderful fun of it not booting past a black screen and prompts telling me it was force closing everything.\

and this is why we do backups

Ok kiddies.

That was allot harder than I thought. But now it is much better.

Update 21

using mount -bind rather than symlinks.

I tested rebooted, moved back rebooted, tested rebooted. Opening browser in between. I have to get back to work and dont have a whole lotta time to do thoughough testing, but this one SHOULDNT cause force closes (well on stock apps since thats all I tested)

If someone can do some more thourough testing please do.

EDIT:
On the moving dalvik back to data I had to make it wipe the dalvik, this will make your phone take awhile (depends on how many apps you have) to boot.

Back