• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] [HOW TO] Root the VZW/LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Jake,

Are you on a Mac or did you unpack the su.zip before transferring it to your phone?

It also could be a bad / incomplete download of that file...that's usually the message you get when the su.zip is not "pristine".

Let me know...we'll figure it out.

Must have been a bad download.

I find that weird considering computers never make mistakes. ;)

Thanks for your help!!!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I'm on the step where I have pushed su.zip, but I can't install zip from sd card because in CWM it keeps saying E:can'tmount /sdcard/ and other lines. Please help!!!

EDIT: nvm I just reflashed CWM.

Adrian,

Good to hear you got that sorted-out.

FYI, I figured-out a week or so ago that CWM doesn't mount the "SD card" (/sdcard -> /data/media) until you get to the "Select zip from sdcard" menu. Once you are there, its mounted and you can finally get your file pushed over.

I'm sure its because the internal SD card is really soft-linked (symlinked) to /data/media and that doesn't automatically happen like it does on other devices where the /sdcard is actual external memory.

You can also download the su.zip file to the /sdcard before you boot into recovery (i.e., while Android is booted-up normally).

Cheers!

Reactions: AdrianC14
Upvote 0
Adrian,

Good to hear you got that sorted-out.

FYI, I figured-out a week or so ago that CWM doesn't mount the "SD card" (/sdcard -> /data/media) until you get to the "Select zip from sdcard" menu. Once you are there, its mounted and you can finally get your file pushed over.

I'm sure its because the internal SD card is really soft-linked (symlinked) to /data/media and that doesn't automatically happen like it does on other devices where the /sdcard is actual external memory.

You can also download the su.zip file to the /sdcard before you boot into recovery (i.e., while Android is booted-up normally).

Cheers!

Thats strange, it was mounted for me before I went into the "Select zip from SD card" menu. That is, after I got past my derp moment. :p

Upvote 0
Are there better ways to do this now? I see several "easy solutions" out there. Not sure if thye are legit.

Wugfresh's root utility (http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/477365-here-you-go-one-step-unlock-root-relock-unroot.html) is reportedly very good and easy to use...

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with using something like the ClockworkMod rooting method--its pretty simple and straightforward and you get to see what is actually going on and do it for yourself.

These are the same steps that will be done for you with the aforementioned utility, but the veils are pulled-back for you and you get to take satisfaction in having done it yourself.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
This might help some people...

I had the same issue, with a bunch of mounting errors. Even going to "choose zip from sdcard" didn't mount anything. I couldn't push the su.zip successfully because of something I did wrong.

Found out that because I am doing it from a Mac, and I followed this guide to unlock the bootloader from a mac they had instructed me to use ./fastboot-mac instead of ./fastboot

Sure enough, changing ./fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img to ./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img worked like a charm. Then for good measure, I went to "choose zip from sdcard" first, then pushed, then flashed the zip.

:D

Upvote 0
Ok I got it pushed through. But when I try to flash su.zip it says:

--installing: /sdcard/su.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/su.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

Any advice?

Jake,

Are you on a Mac or did you unpack the su.zip before transferring it to your phone?

It also could be a bad / incomplete download of that file...that's usually the message you get when the su.zip is not "pristine".

Let me know...we'll figure it out.

I was having the same problem, and in my case it looks like an incomplete download. I downloaded it directly to my phone (twice) and was getting that error. Then I tried downloading it to my computer and copying it to my phone (over USB) and it worked.

Also, extra thanks to Scary Alien since I used your Root Toolkit app to apply and keep Clockwork Recovery.

Wugfresh's root utility (http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/477365-here-you-go-one-step-unlock-root-relock-unroot.html) is reportedly very good and easy to use...

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with using something like the ClockworkMod rooting method--its pretty simple and straightforward and you get to see what is actually going on and do it for yourself.

These are the same steps that will be done for you with the aforementioned utility, but the veils are pulled-back for you and you get to take satisfaction in having done it yourself.

Cheers!

I was having trouble with Wugfresh's utility - nothing seemed to happen after I tried to root and typed 1 to confirm my device was listed. The Clockwork Recovery method worked right away, once I got a good download of the su.zip file.

Upvote 0
sorry in advance; first-timer here. hopefully i use the right terminology!

i've unlocked the bootloader (super easy). i am now attempting to root on mac, and am getting stuck. i have the adb, fastboot, and cwm files on my desktop. i run:
Code:
cd Desktop
to change the directory to where the files are located.

i then run:
Code:
./fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img
to flash the file, but it says file or directory not found.

suggestions?:thinking:

EDIT: nevermind. new problem. :(

i flashed the file just fine. i pushed the su.zip to the device. i applied the .zip file. but when i checked for root (with RootChecker from Google Play), it says no root.

in an attempt to re-apply the su.zip, i tried booting into CWR but all i get is the Android lying down with a red triangle. help!

Upvote 0
gdotcom,

Which version of Android are and you and do you know which su.zip you installed (i.e., which download link)?

There's a newer su.zip that includes an updated su binary that is needed for 4.0.4.

Also, the reason you're seeing the stock recovery is that Android re-flashes the stock recovery upon shutdown unless/until you've renamed a key file to make the recovery "stick".

So, let me know about your Android version and the su.zip download first and we'll get you squared-away with making recovery "stick" (which requires that you be successfully rooted first).

Cheer and welcome to the AndroidForums! :)

Upvote 0
Stupid question, but here goes.

I unlocked my VZW LTE (On Mac OS 10.7.4) and then ran the install-superboot-mac

It sat on the Google screen for a LONG time, so I took out the battery and it restarted properly.

Now, the stupid question. How do I know it worked and that I am rooted?

ANDROID VERSION

Kernel Version
3.0.8-gda625b
android-build@vpbs1 #1
SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 13

BUILD
IMM76K

I'm not sure what theme or kernel or whatever I should use. I'm new to all this. Any suggestions would be great!!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the AndroidForums, natattack06 :).

I seem to remember that this is how the Superboot worked on some devices...it probably hung because it was a maguro boot.img instead of the toro one (which is okay if you soft-booted it).

To see if you obtained root, check your app drawer and see if you now have the Superuser app. Also, you can download an app called Root Checker (free in the Market) or my app (Android Root Toolkit, also free) to check your root status.

As far as themes and ROMs and such goes, I think I would wait for a proper source-compiled version of JellyBean if I were you. The ones that are currently out there are a little wonky for some folks and you're liable to have a much better experience when the devs can build one from Google source.

Cheers and again, welcome!

Reactions: natattack06
Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome message!

I have the superuser app but when I first clicked on it, it allowed me in application. Now when I click on it, it keeps sending me to the Play store. Does that mean I have to buy it to move forward?

I have bought SetCPU already and it is requesting root access then errors and saying I need to give it permission in SuperUser

*Update* Root check basic says "this device does not have proper root access"

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome message!

I have the superuser app but when I first clicked on it, it allowed me in application. Now when I click on it, it keeps sending me to the Play store. Does that mean I have to buy it to move forward?

I have bought SetCPU already and it is requesting root access then errors and saying I need to give it permission in SuperUser

Yeah, you don't typically need to run/launch the Superuser app itself--it will get called when you try to use another app that requires root access, like you are seeing with SetCPU.

After launching SetCPU, you should be presented with a prompt that actually comes from the Superuser app, asking if you want to allow root access to SetCPU (or whatever app you happen to be trying to use its root access for).

Did you not receive such a prompt or did you tell it "no" (or deny)?

Upvote 0
Yeah, you don't typically need to run/launch the Superuser app itself--it will get called when you try to use another app that requires root access, like you are seeing with SetCPU.

After launching SetCPU, you should be presented with a prompt that actually comes from the Superuser app, asking if you want to allow root access to SetCPU (or whatever app you happen to be trying to use its root access for).

Did you not receive such a prompt or did you tell it "no" (or deny)?

I did get a prompt, it said root was not setup.

I ran the Root checker, and it appears root cannot be verified :/

Upvote 0
I did get a prompt, it said root was not setup.

I ran the Root checker, and it appears root cannot be verified :/

It appears that the Superboot root install didn't work for you.

The ClockworkMod root install image is actually very simple and straightforward (since I'm guessing you can't use Wug's toolkit due to using a Mac).

Be sure to use the newer su.zip that works best with ICS 4.0.4 (I included references to that in the documentation in the first post).

Give it at least a read through and let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
So I used this method before on ICS, successfully, but I just got the JB update and wanted to root using this method, and apparently it doesn't work on JB. Is there a new su.zip file necessary for use on JB? Please advise, and please don't tell me to use Wug's root toolkit. I'm anal about this kind of thing; I want to do it myself, not have it automated.

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks to ScaryAlien for all of his useful posts that I've profited from in the past year!

Upvote 0
Reactions: bevardimus
Upvote 0
Arrrggg... so now that I'm rooted (on stock JB that was JUST released by Verizon), I am running into one of the main issues I was having with all the JB custom roms that made me decide to go to stock -- the long boot time. It gets stuck on the google logo for anywhere between about 3-6 minutes before booting. This is a pain in my ass. WHY does this happen? Does anybody know how to solve this issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones