• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] New radios!

Doesn't look like it helps with the poor reception we get on these phones. May switch radios faster but what everyone wants is a stronger signal. I get 1 3g bar where my old DInc gets 3.

Very frustrating!

Yea handoffs are definitely smoother but signal connection and speeds are the same. No change in db or asu in my bedroom. It's actually a little worse than before but not noticeable

Can't speak for any degradation in signal strength, BUT the new radios have finally made 4G usable (ie. no drops, no radio loss). I'll take it. :D

Sorry for the stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer in the HOW TO section. To flash these radios if I have BB running using ROM Manager, do just use Rom Manager, choose the zip file, and flash? Do I have to wipe any caches?
Sorry and thanks.:(:(

I don't use ROM manager, so I couldn't tell you. I flashed, and wiped cache/dalvik because I couldn't remember if you need to or not.

Before flashing:
Signal -95 dB
D/U in Mbps
14.4/4.3
15.5/4.1
14.3/3.9

After flashing (7 minute later, same location on my desk)
Signal -98 dB
D/U in Mbps
14.8/7.2
12.5/5.7
12.9/6.4

3 minutes later:
Signal -93 dB
15.0/7.1
14.3/7.1
13.9/7.4

So, maybe a bit faster uploads with similar signal strength.

Sorry for the stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer in the HOW TO section. To flash these radios if I have BB running using ROM Manager, do just use Rom Manager, choose the zip file, and flash? Do I have to wipe any caches?
Sorry and thanks.:(:(

I booted into recovery (Touch, CWM) and flashed, then booted, no wiping of anything.

All I can say is that if this finally solves the MMS text issue then HALLELUJAH! I could care less about signal strength if that bug gets stomped!

Compared my signal to wife's Razr Max with the Android Signal Info app - still not as good.

For me, 4G to 3G handoff time is still 10-15 seconds. 3G to 4G handoff time is 4-7 second range.

Haven't seen any signal improvement. Need to check for BT issue.

Compared my signal to wife's Razr Max with the Android Signal Info app - still not as good.

For me, 4G to 3G handoff time is still 10-15 seconds. 3G to 4G handoff time is 4-7 second range.

Haven't seen any signal improvement. Need to check for BT issue.

Is there any place near you that normally has spotty 4G? At work, if I turned on LTE, I would watch it flip from 4G to 3G back and forth. Pretty annoying, and I'm sure it was doing wonders for the battery dropping LTE, scanning for it, picking it up, then dropping it again.
Today at work I flipped on LTE, and it was steady stream.
Other than that, I haven't noticed too big of a difference.

Is there any place near you that normally has spotty 4G? At work, if I turned on LTE, I would watch it flip from 4G to 3G back and forth. Pretty annoying, and I'm sure it was doing wonders for the battery dropping LTE, scanning for it, picking it up, then dropping it again.
Today at work I flipped on LTE, and it was steady stream.
Other than that, I haven't noticed too big of a difference.

Yup, parking lot at work is spotty. Didn't have any 4G after swapping, but didn't expect any.

I blame Isaac. :)

everyone is so concerned with 4g signals/speeds, well what about 3g signals/speeds? A lot of ppl, including myself, toggle 4g off half the time. And i can honestly say that 3g does seem to be slower now that 4g technology is out...

oh well i have unlimited data, it doesnt matter lol

I don't see how anyone expects software to help actual signal reception. It may report it differently or be better at handoffs between 1X/3G/4G, but as far and making the phone receive better signal reception, I don't see how that's possible.

It does seem better at handoffs to me though. I have never had any reception issues with my Gnex, just horrible delays in handing off to/from 4G. Driving into a 4G area, my wifes Rezound will switch to 4G, then maybe my Gnex will a few mins/miles later and even then sometimes I have to toggle LTE to force it to pick it up. We just got 4G at my work area in the last few weeks though, since then it hasn't been too bad at switching between 3G/4G, but sometimes it will totally drop a data connection for about 30 secs before handing off to 3G. It was almost instant on my way back home from work today. So hopefully that stays consistent now.

I'm almost convinced that no update will make the actual reception any better. Unless they just fudge the numbers. So if the handoff is better then that is better than nothing. I've almost given up on seeing "moto" style reception on this G Nex.

Back
Top Bottom