• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Android 4.4.4 d2lte Nightlies

Yup. Many of the ROMs have switched over to Google+ and can't be found over at XDA any longer. That used to be the "go-to" site.

You've spent a good bit of time locating all of these ROMs. I knew there were quite a few 4.4.4 builds but had no idea there were this many available for d2lte.

The S3 is a popular phone and I have a feeling a good many of them will still be available even after the release of Android L. I know I'll be keeping an eye out to see which ones will be sticking around. :D

What I can't believe is that the S3 is still listed at $299, especially for it being 2 years old. Now, it's probably a mid-range phone instead of top tier. But with the mid-range phones coming out, the S3 is still one of the best. And it will be getting an official 4.4.4 update.

And I've been noticing that about Google+. I like it there better because it's way easier to talk with the devs if there is a problem with a ROM. Plus, you can follow a bunch of the communities for the ROMs and get updates in your regular feed.

What I can't believe is that the S3 is still listed at $299, especially for it being 2 years old. Now, it's probably a mid-range phone instead of top tier. But with the mid-range phones coming out, the S3 is still one of the best. And it will be getting an official 4.4.4 update.

And I've been noticing that about Google+. I like it there better because it's way easier to talk with the devs if there is a problem with a ROM. Plus, you can follow a bunch of the communities for the ROMs and get updates in your regular feed.

There's no doubt about one thing. The S3 is still one of the most popular devices on the market. Look at the amount of development still going on. I'm sure that's one of the reasons the phone's price hasn't dropped.

I know one thing. I'll be keeping my S3 for some time to come. There's no way I'm spending $600 or more on a phone who's specs don't warrant the price difference. Also, the fact that the S3 is getting the update is awesome!! Not bad at all for a phone that's several years old huh? :D

Gettin' Dirty! :D

4u6ydyba.jpg

Just wanted to throw in that you can get a virgin mobile s3 on eBay brand new in box for about $180. There are a lot. Amazon for around $190.

Just wanted to throw in that you can get a virgin mobile s3 on eBay brand new in box for about $180. There are a lot. Amazon for around $190.

I forgot to add that part. Even better deals for a great phone.

I think I'll be using this phone for a long time, or until devs stop making ROMs for this phone. The only reason I might upgrade is to get a display that's 1080p. I wouldn't use a new phone any differently than I am now though. With the #MirrorEnabler app, I can mirror my entire display onto my HDTV using Chromecast. With having to flash a new bootloader due to signal issues, I might try out some TW ROMs. I do have to say, if I never got into rooting, I might've gotten a different phone in a heartbeat. But thankfully, I rooted. And the possibilities are endless.

I use stock ROM and kernel. It has native screen mirror built in. My bluray player has miracast so I just tap "screen mirror" on phone and bluray and poof, complete phone screen mirroring. Not just apps with embedded Chromecast, complete phone. Do any of the aosp Roms have native screen mirroring? (Just curious)

Update on DU

I'm running the newest build of Dirty Unicorns posted here and couldn't get Bluetooth to connect to my car today. Unfortunately, Bluetooth is a must for me. What a bummer! Other than that, the ROM is running great. Looks like it's time to try some of the other ROMs. I may switch back to Liquidsmooth.

Sorry guys, I had to remove the official Dirty Unicorns builds from the list. I was discussing something with the developer and he resorted to calling me names. I will never support anyone who resorts to name calling. As much as I love Dirty Unicorns, I can't have it on the list because he is the developer for the d2lte builds. I hope you can understand.

Yeah, there was another flare-up recently (in the Google+ group) from whom I assume you're referring to. Your post gave me pause when I read it originally--and his recent remarks over there have made me rethink my participation.

I'm using an unofficial DU build from 09/05 that works really well, but I may have to explore some of the other choices (I like LiquidSmooth a lot)--when there's a build that works well with my SPH-L710. (Sept has been a tough month for us d2lte users! Lot's of issues it seems. (Unless it's me.) I keep going back to that unofficial DU build.

I use stock ROM and kernel. It has native screen mirror built in. My bluray player has miracast so I just tap "screen mirror" on phone and bluray and poof, complete phone screen mirroring. Not just apps with embedded Chromecast, complete phone. Do any of the aosp Roms have native screen mirroring? (Just curious)

Well technically, most of them do. But I think the Cast Screen option only works for devices that are able to mirror natively. At least, that's my assumption. CyanogenMod introduced that feature a long time ago. If you go into the display settings, you'll find the option for Cast Screen but it doesn't do anything, at least for d2lte. I've seen on other phones that it works. So, either devs skip over that in making d2lte builds or it only works for devices that can do it natively.

Edit: So right after typing this, I read that it looks like Nameless ROM natively has Cast Screen working.

Yeah, there was another flare-up recently (in the Google+ group) from whom I assume you're referring to. Your post gave me pause when I read it originally--and his recent remarks over there have made me rethink my participation.

I'm using an unofficial DU build from 09/05 that works really well, but I may have to explore some of the other choices (I like LiquidSmooth a lot)--when there's a build that works well with my SPH-L710. (Sept has been a tough month for us d2lte users! Lot's of issues it seems. (Unless it's me.) I keep going back to that unofficial DU build.

It has been a rough month for ROMs. I wasn't getting data on pretty much any ROM. Found out that it was because of my old modem. So, I had to update it and now data works fine.

Over at G+, the Dirty Unicorns community is just full of a bunch of dicks (sorry for swearing). Any time someone asks a simple question, they jump down their throats. I just saw now that someone said they thought it was an excellent ROM and asked if it supported i9500. The first guy to respond said, 'Google supports search'. A simple 'yes' or 'no' would've been easy enough. I keep seeing examples of this over and over again. The PA Legacy community is pretty much just as bad too.

It has been a rough month for ROMs. I wasn't getting data on pretty much any ROM. Found out that it was because of my old modem. So, I had to update it and now data works fine.

Over at G+, the Dirty Unicorns community is just full of a bunch of dicks (sorry for swearing). Any time someone asks a simple question, they jump down their throats. I just saw now that someone said they thought it was an excellent ROM and asked if it supported i9500. The first guy to respond said, 'Google supports search'. A simple 'yes' or 'no' would've been easy enough. I keep seeing examples of this over and over again. The PA Legacy community is pretty much just as bad too.

Yep. You've got some of those guys who are just @ssholes. You also have to keep in mind that some of the people asking the questions do so all the time. Instead of taking the time to find the answers, they want everyone else to do all the work for them. I run across people like that on this forums every once in a while. Thankfully most of the people here at Android Forums are helpful and don't expect other members to do all work for them. ;)

Yep. You've got some of those guys who are just @ssholes. You also have to keep in mind that some of the people asking the questions do so all the time. Instead of taking the time to find the answers, they want everyone else to do all the work for them. I run across people like that on this forums every once in a while. Thankfully most of the people here at Android Forums are helpful and don't expect other members to do all work for them. ;)

There are definitely those kind of people. They're equally as annoying. I also get a question has been answered a bunch of times and it's annoying to keep answering it. It's just how people are treated, that's all. And some in the Dirty Unicorns community just don't treat others that well.

At least with this thread, I tried to make it as easy to follow. Find a ROM you like and go with it. If there's a question, I'll answer it as best as I can. Mainly, it's just follow the directions. But if someone asks me a question, I won't say, 'Already been answered' if it has. It's just as quick to answer it as it is to say that.

There are definitely those kind of people. They're equally as annoying. I also get a question has been answered a bunch of times and it's annoying to keep answering it. It's just how people are treated, that's all. And some in the Dirty Unicorns community just don't treat others that well.

At least with this thread, I tried to make it as easy to follow. Find a ROM you like and go with it. If there's a question, I'll answer it as best as I can. Mainly, it's just follow the directions. But if someone asks me a question, I won't say, 'Already been answered' if it has. It's just as quick to answer it as it is to say that.

Same here. I try to be as helpful as I can. It's just the members who ask the same questions repeatedly. Especially when when it took a long time to research, copy links, and do a nice size write up. Then they turn right around and ask the same questions again. It's like a slap in the face man. All the work put into answering the original question was for nothing. I don't know if you've ever read any of my tutorials but some are quite lengthy and very detailed. Yep, it pisses me off when someone asks a question requiring a detailed answer and then doesn't even bother to take the time and read my response carefully. It doesn't take long for my Patience to start wearing thin when dealing with someone like that.

Edit: LMAO!!! Fixed some spelling errors. Autocorrect isn't always correct. Hah!!! Imagine that...... :p

I decided to add the Google+ Community Pages for each ROM. Google+ is a great way to connect to the devs in case of there's a bug in the ROM you notice or to thank them for their work. In my opinion, it's a better way to find out about updates about each ROM. Ed Chen does the builds for both Beanstalk and OmniRom d2lte builds. So, I put up his Google+ page to look for info about both.

I also decided to add a new section for AOSP d2lte kernels and added a few. For those who don't know, kernels are basically the power source of your phone. They allow you to overclock or underclock your phone. Each kernel allows you to change the governor, frequency, scheduler, etc. I'd suggest downloading a kernel tweaker from Google Play Store as well. I use Trickster MOD. It works great. If there are other kernels you know of, feel free to tell me about them and I'll add them to the list.

I decided to add the Google+ Community Pages for each ROM. Google+ is a great way to connect to the devs in case of there's a bug in the ROM you notice or to thank them for their work. In my opinion, it's a better way to find out about updates about each ROM. Ed Chen does the builds for both Beanstalk and OmniRom d2lte builds. So, I put up his Google+ page to look for info about both.

I also decided to add a new section for AOSP d2lte kernels and added a few. For those who don't know, kernels are basically the power source of your phone. They allow you to overclock or underclock your phone. Each kernel allows you to change the governor, frequency, scheduler, etc. I'd suggest downloading a kernel tweaker from Google Play Store as well. I use Trickster MOD. It works great. If there are other kernels you know of, feel free to tell me about them and I'll add them to the list.

Great idea! I did the same with my LS and AICP threads over in the Boost section.

If you don't mind, I'm also going to add a link to this thread in the AOSP section of my ROM thread. I haven't updated much to 4.4.4, only the TouchWiz 4.4.2. There's no since in doing a write up on the 4.4.4 ROMs when you've done such and excellent job with this thread. :thumbup:

Great idea! I did the same with my LS and AICP threads over in the Boost section.

If you don't mind, I'm also going to add a link to this thread in the AOSP section of my ROM thread. I haven't updated much to 4.4.4, only the TouchWiz 4.4.2. There's no since in doing a write up on the 4.4.4 ROMs when you've done such and excellent job with this thread. :thumbup:

Yeah, it's fine with me. I made this list so it can be used.

I'm new to this flashing rom and just encountered phone dial pad issue, wondering if someone can give me some help or advice.

I flashed liquid smooth, carbon and Gummy all this morning. Including the apn fix after booting the phone up first. All the roms booted up and get signal 3G and LTE. Issue is placing a call. I can place call fine, but once call connects and get prompted to push #1 key (tried several different calls). I get zero response from dial pad.

Any fixes someone may have encountered this. I love the speed and how smooth they all are, but need my phone to work.

Thx, Steve

update: flashed with different gapps. I started with pa-gapps and as stated dialer pad wouldn't work. So since was working with Liquid smooth, I retried all roms with liquid smooth gapps. For whatever reason it now works on all roms. I don't know enough why would matter. Thought gapps just installed like play store, gmail..etc. Just in case anyone encounters same issue, I wanted to update my post.

I'm new to this flashing rom and just encountered phone dial pad issue, wondering if someone can give me some help or advice.

I flashed liquid smooth, carbon and Gummy all this morning. Including the apn fix after booting the phone up first. All the roms booted up and get signal 3G and LTE. Issue is placing a call. I can place call fine, but once call connects and get prompted to push #1 key (tried several different calls). I get zero response from dial pad.

Any fixes someone may have encountered this. I love the speed and how smooth they all are, but need my phone to work.

Thx, Steve

update: flashed with different gapps. I started with pa-gapps and as stated dialer pad wouldn't work. So since was working with Liquid smooth, I retried all roms with liquid smooth gapps. For whatever reason it now works on all roms. I don't know enough why would matter. Thought gapps just installed like play store, gmail..etc. Just in case anyone encounters same issue, I wanted to update my post.

It might be the PA GAPPS. I've been having problems with running a music app plus fitness app at the same time. It would crash my phone. I'll find a different GAPPS package to put on the list. PA GAPPS seems to be causing too many issues.

2 new unofficial Dirty Unicorns 8.0 builds just came out. Joe Carbone just released one, which is in his Google+ page under the Unofficial Builds section. And a DU developer Alex Cruz released a test build today, which is also under the Unofficial Builds section.

A LiquidSmooth test build was released yesterday. If you're going to use it, make sure you clean flash before you do. It's located in the Unofficial Builds section as well.

I just flashed the latest AICP build along with the new PA GAPPS and DKP kernel. My phone is running like a champ!

I just flashed the latest AICP build along with the new PA GAPPS and DKP kernel. My phone is running like a champ!

Nice. I'm running the latest AICP with leankernel. Running very smoothly here as well.

I'm having issues with the PA GAPPS. At least, I figured out my problem was the PA GAPPS. I use fitness apps quite a bit. When I'm out, I use Endomondo Pro with a voice alert telling me the distance/times, etc. I also use Play Music because I make playlists and save them offline onto my phone. Well, since using PA GAPPS using both Play Music and Endomondo Pro with voice coach at the same time would crash my phone. Like, literally, crash it. My phone would bog down so hard making it virtually impossible to use and then would force reboot. I tried different ROMs, fitness apps, and kernels only to figure out it was the PA GAPPS causing it. So, I found a GAPPS Minimal X package that I'm using now and I don't have that problem. It's strange.

I think AICP now tops my list for favorite ROM. It's always been near the top. At first, my favorite was C-RoM. But that died of, at least for d2lte, 3 months ago. And then, my favorite was Dirty Unicorns. But then it died off for d2lte, then came back for a bit, then kinda died off again. I do have to thank Joe Carbone for keeping it alive for d2lte though. I hope he continues his work.

But now, AICP is the only one of the 3 that has solid, continual development. Plus, I haven't yet had any overheating problem with AICP. I usually had that problem with Dirty Unicorns. I really like the features overload that allows you to pick and choose what you actually want on your phone. It's truly a great ROM.

Nice. I'm running the latest AICP with leankernel. Running very smoothly here as well.

I'm having issues with the PA GAPPS. At least, I figured out my problem was the PA GAPPS. I use fitness apps quite a bit. When I'm out, I use Endomondo Pro with a voice alert telling me the distance/times, etc. I also use Play Music because I make playlists and save them offline onto my phone. Well, since using PA GAPPS using both Play Music and Endomondo Pro with voice coach at the same time would crash my phone. Like, literally, crash it. My phone would bog down so hard making it virtually impossible to use and then would force reboot. I tried different ROMs, fitness apps, and kernels only to figure out it was the PA GAPPS causing it. So, I found a GAPPS Minimal X package that I'm using now and I don't have that problem. It's strange.

I think AICP now tops my list for favorite ROM. It's always been near the top. At first, my favorite was C-RoM. But that died of, at least for d2lte, 3 months ago. And then, my favorite was Dirty Unicorns. But then it died off for d2lte, then came back for a bit, then kinda died off again. I do have to thank Joe Carbone for keeping it alive for d2lte though. I hope he continues his work.

But now, AICP is the only one of the 3 that has solid, continual development. Plus, I haven't yet had any overheating problem with AICP. I usually had that problem with Dirty Unicorns. I really like the features overload that allows you to pick and choose what you actually want on your phone. It's truly a great ROM.

Does AICP require Mopedryder's APN fix?

Back
Top Bottom