• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [New Update] Patience Please

Oh. Status 7 just means that an assert check failed. Did you try both of moons updates? He made the one for ma8 to mc1 and he made another one that (in theory) should take you from ma8 right to mg5. Just wondering which one you tried or if you tried both. If you post the entire error msg I'm sure he'll take a peek at it. Maybe try posting in his update thread.

Upvote 0
I don't have an update thread. :) The updater script compares the SHA1 checksums of the files currently on the phone with the ones it expects to see using assert statements before it will patch. If the checksums don't match, it spits out a status 7 error. This indicates that a file on your phone has been modified from stock state, meaning already patched, replaced, or removed. Theoretically, the updater-script could be modified to patch regardless of the SHA1 checksum but that would cause the patches to be applied to files that they weren't intended to patch and almost definitely cause tons of problems (if the phone would even boot at all in such a state).

As a reminder, this most likely will not be flashable under stock recovery. You should have TWRP recovery installed and I recommend 2.6.3.0 which you can get here for a flashable ZIP or here for a TAR file flashable via Odin. If you use the flashable zip, please find and thank a member of Oudhs and thank him/her.

EDIT: I'm going to throw together a 'debugging' update zip for MA8 to MC1. Essentially what this will do is display the name of each file that is being checked as it checks them. When the assert fails, the file that it was checking will be the last filename displayed. If it's failing where I think it's failing, I may have a solution for you.

Upvote 0
Sorry I thought I remembered seeing an update thread. I checked after I posted that but forgot to edit my post. At work and got busy.

No problem. You were probably thinking of my baseband fix thread for people who flashed Sprint ROMs to their VM phones. I still haven't had any feedback on whether that works for VM users or not, although NolenUmar did try to flash it to his Sprint phone for the fun of it.

Back on topic:

I got an assert error 7

Here is an updated version of the MA8 to MC1 update. Removed an assert (RO.secure) which I think was causing the status 7 failure.

Here is the "debugging" version of the same. This is the one which will list each file that it checks. Try this if the above doesn't work.

Here is the updated version of my custom MA8 to MG5 update with the same assert removed (RO.secure).

Please let me know if this works for you. If it doesn't work and you have to try the debugging version, please let me know where it fails.

Upvote 0
im having a real hard time trying to install a back up on my phone thru TWRP, i have the victorious rom, and the links2sd everything was working great, until i wanted to free up more space, i paid for the pro verison of links2sd so i could link system files to my sd card, it worked for awhile, but recently i wanted to free up some more space, but it kept telling me i was out of space, (which i wasent) but not a big deal, but typical me, i started messing with the settings in links2sd, and i hit the re-link application files, and it totally screwd everything up, now i cant do anything really, the phone boots, but it keeps telling me google service and gapps stopped running and a few others, and at times it will re boot itself, but my main problem is, that when i boot into recovery, i cannot install any back-ups, i cant flash any updates, like g60madmans stock so i can go back and start over, and put the mg5 update on, because i nvr wanted to do it before, but now seems like a good time because this happened, but it wont update, i also cannot install a backup to see if that works, from TWRP, so idk wht to do, if anyone can assist me, i would be greatful,,, THANK YOU!!!!!

Upvote 0
If you run victorious for a long time, your memory will start to disappear. Its the swap that does it. Make sure all your important files are on your true ext SD (removable) then wipe data/media, then cache and dalvik wipe in twrp. You will get back TONS of internal storage.
If you have the paid link2sd, you don't need the memory swap in victorious any more. Link2sd links data files now! Only thing it doesn't do is obb files and foldermount in the play store will do that.

Reactions: zacharynasty
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones