• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [Recovery][VM]TWRP v.2.8.0.0 for the LG Optimus F3

xclusive36

Android Expert
Jan 28, 2014
Maryland
www.litestep.com
TWRP Touch Recovery Bumped!

TWRP for the
Virgin Mobile / Sprint LG Optimus F3
If you are on a T-Mobile / Metro PCS LG Optimus F3, Go here. or here

TWRP = Team Win Recovery Project
* TWRP Version 2.8.0.0
*Works with Virgin Mobile Optimus F3
Has not been tested on other variants.

Source: TeamWin - Home | TeamWin
Visit: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.8 - | TeamWin for details

What doesn't work:
Haptic Feedback
You tell me?

Data Partition restore has been fixed by gherkaul
Thank you :)

Warning KERNEL PANIC:
Do not reboot into TWRP with 'adb reboot recovery' or reboot into TWRP while inside of TWRP. Doing so will wipe your /data partition.
Always boot into TWRP using the button combo.

CWM vs TWRP:
The Interface:
I think everyone might agree on this, clockworkmod isn’t the best looking recovery out there. TWRP has an option to turn the display off after a specified amount of time. CWM does not. Confirming things and unlocking the screen requires a swipe gesture. CWM on the other hand, confirming things require you to swim across waves of “No” to find and select the “Yes” option.

Backing Up and Restoring backups:
The backup option in clockworkmod directly starts the backing up procedure, doing the same thing in TWRP presents you with some nice options, allowing you to control which partition you want to backup, in which storage you want the backup to be and also, if you want compression to be enabled or not..

There is an advanced restore option available in clockworkmod recovery, allowing you to restore only one partition of your choice. TWRP recovery bests clockworkmod recovery in this section, by giving exactly what I asked for in the previous point. TWRP recovery also allows you to rename the backups.

Other not-so-often used options:
Clockworkmod recovery has some nice features like:
  • Wipe Dalvik Cache
  • Wipe Battery Stats
  • Mount/unmount and format any partition
  • Fix permissions
TWRP Recovery has the following ones:
  • Fix permissions
  • ADB Sideload
  • File Manager

source

First time you boot into the TWRP Recovery, it may take upwards of a minute to initialize.

To Install:
*Your phone needs to be rooted
*You need to enable USB debugging in Settings > Developer options

DOWNLOAD:
https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/xclusive36/fx3/vm/stock

This link points you to multiple files, make sure you download the correct one!

The Download is for installing on Windows. Follow the readme file that's included.

To get to TWRP:
After installing, Power down your phone. Once your phone is off, Hold down the Volume Down button. While holding down the Volume down button, press and hold the Power button. When you see the screen that tells you to release all buttons to get to recovery, Let go of all of the buttons. Your phone will boot into TWRP.

Changelog:
11/17/2014
- Data Partition Restore bug has been fixed. Very stable recovery now
- Thanks gherkaul, your awesome :)
10/4/2014
- Added USB Mount Support
- Enabled Partition SD Card file format ext3 or ext4 (THIS WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE IF USED IMPROPERLY)
10/3/2014
- Re-Fixed recovery.fstab confict (loads quickly now)
- Removed un needed files from the ramdisk
9/19/2014 - Fixed recovery.fstab conflict
9/17/2014 - Initial release

Last edited:
Is there any way to install this without a computer like how you can on CWM touch?

extract the zip file, under the files folder you will find a bunch of files. The one you need is:
twrp-2.8.0.0_ls720_bumped.img

copy twrp-2.8.0.0_ls720_bumped.img to your internal sd card to this folder
/storage/sdcard0/

Run is command inside of a terminal app. Any Terminal app will do.
  • dd if=/storage/sdcard0/twrp-2.8.0.0_ls720_bumped.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Reactions: zuul and maxslove
Upvote 0
Nice...I know some folks have been asking about this.

Without bothering you too much, what benefits are there to this over the CWM Recovery? That one gave me a bit of trouble (ended up badly bricking it and having to use the flash tool), so if there's some other stuff this might be worth it.

Thanks again for all you do for AF. :thumbup:

I didn't have much time to add that to the OP. I was in a hurry and needed to run out of the house for a bit. I'll add that info to the OP. Give me a bit of time. I'll let you know when I'm finished. :)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately they are not you would have to make another backup

That's cool. As long as it's known to do so - Not a big deal.

When backing up, I noticed an error of sorts at the top of the backup log:

E: Unknown File System: 'datamedia'
Updating partition details . . .
Kernel does not have support for reading SELinux contexts.

Is this something to be concerned with, i.e., performing a restore and discovering it doesn't work?

Also didn't notice any vibration for buttons pressed regardless of what the setting was set to.

------------

Upvote 0
That's cool. As long as it's known to do so - Not a big deal.

When backing up, I noticed an error of sorts at the top of the backup log:

E: Unknown File System: 'datamedia'
Updating partition details . . .
Kernel does not have support for reading SELinux contexts.

Is this something to be concerned with, i.e., performing a restore and discovering it doesn't work?

Also didn't notice any vibration for buttons pressed regardless of what the setting was set to.

------------

I wouldn't worry about it. The datamedia section needs to be inside of the recovery.fstab file or you cant access the internal or external sdcards. As far as i know there is no way around that error. The selinux error is because our kernel doesn't support it. It is in the next version of android though.

I wasn't aware of the sound bug. I wouldn't know how to fix it if it can be fixed.

Upvote 0
Copy that. Not terribly important for the functionality of the Recovery, however, I'm really 'old school' when it comes to virtual keyboards or keyboards in general. Gotta have that 'tactile' feel or my fingers get confused :rolleyes:

------------

I think there may be an issue with the device tree causing it to not give Haptic feedback.

Upvote 0
I posted the update that fixes the "E: Unknown File System: 'datamedia'" error. I had a sdcard conflict. I should of caught it. Basically TWRP defines the internal storage as /sdcard automaticly. I was defining it manually. It was causing a conflict during boot which was why it was taking so long to boot up.

To get the update, just re-download, and re-run the install.bat file like you did before.

This does not fix the 'restore data' bug. When you attempt to restore the data partition backup, It has a kernel panic and wipes the data partition basically causing a factory reset.

Background info:
/data/media is the phone's internal sdcard location folder structure. When you boot android, it links the /data/media folder to /storage/sdcard0 folder. In TWRP, it links /data/media to /sdcard

I am working on this bug. It's a major bug and it's driving me nutts. :|

Reactions: bkttk2 and kgjohns
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones