• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] VM LS720V8 - Updating, Rooting, and Unbricking

This post provides information that will assist with updating form software LS720V7 → LS720V8.

If you have rooted your phone, and have installed a custom recovery such as CWM Touch, or TWRP and have not modified stock system files such as installing a theme that uses modified system files:

Running the update with CWM Touch installed will cause a soft brick.
Running the update with TWRP however will not cause a soft brick.

Install TWRP, and then run the update. (You don't need to boot into it. running the update will do that for you)
* Un-root your phone through SuperSu app after you have installed TWRP but before you run the update.
SuperSU:
Select >SETTINGS >Full unroot

Once the update completes, your recovery will revert back to the stock recovery.​

The above is the camp that I fall into. My GF, actually; it is her phone. It came with V6 and I rooted it (can't remember what I used, but it was recommended here) so that it could run a WiFi tether app. After she got the nags I went through the drill to take it from V6 to V7, using the update file that was provided/linked to on these forums. I installed CWM Touch at that time. No bloatware removed; no themes, etc. And now, to quell the new nags, I want to take the phone from V7 to V8.

The above from the OP is clear to me except for one thing that is no doubt just me being a dope: You regularly talk about "running the update." Forgive me, but what does that mean, exactly? Do you mean to let the OTA Update do it's thing at that point? I don't find the kind of "updater" file that I used during the V6>V7 shift, and I believe I read here that one wouldn't be available. And I assume you aren't talking about any of the huge, stock files on the dl.litestep site (such as Odexed_Stock-LS720V8.zip).

Lastly, do I need to/can I even remove CWM Touch before I install TWRP?

Just wanting to not do something stupid here... :)

Edit to add: although just going the "fotakill": route looks to be mighty tempting!

Upvote 0
The above is the camp that I fall into. My GF, actually; it is her phone. It came with V6 and I rooted it (can't remember what I used, but it was recommended here) so that it could run a WiFi tether app. After she got the nags I went through the drill to take it from V6 to V7, using the update file that was provided/linked to on these forums. I installed CWM Touch at that time. No bloatware removed; no themes, etc. And now, to quell the new nags, I want to take the phone from V7 to V8.

The above from the OP is clear to me except for one thing that is no doubt just me being a dope: You regularly talk about "running the update." Forgive me, but what does that mean, exactly? Do you mean to let the OTA Update do it's thing at that point? I don't find the kind of "updater" file that I used during the V6>V7 shift, and I believe I read here that one wouldn't be available. And I assume you aren't talking about any of the huge, stock files on the dl.litestep site (such as Odexed_Stock-LS720V8.zip).

Lastly, do I need to/can I even remove CWM Touch before I install TWRP?

Just wanting to not do something stupid here... :)

Edit to add: although just going the "fotakill": route looks to be mighty tempting!

When I state 'running the update', I'm referring to the ota update. Also, you don't need to remove cwm touch before installing twrp. It overwrites the recovery partition when you install cwm, or twrp.

Once you finish with the update, your recovery will be reset to the stock recovery. twrp will no longer be on the phone.

One more thing, if your phone is rooted, make sure you un-root it in the SuperSu app first otherwise after you 'run the update', when you try to root again, it will say you are already rooted when you are not.

Reactions: tychonius
Upvote 0
Hi All,

Sorry if this is dumb question. Just trying to figure out what approach to take to update my F3.

I saferooted my F3 and now can't do a system update higher than v6 even after a full factory reset. Do I need to treat this as a 'soft brick' situation in order to get it to update? I want to be able to update it in case I sell it but would also like to know whether V8 will prevent me from saferooting again; it has been very useful to use link2sd!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
exclusive, daffy, blondgod - I had a v7 that got soft-bricked by the v8 OTA. It turned out that CWMT 6.0.4.8 got installed in sd0, which happened due to a corrupted external SD card. Once I get a new SD Card, I want to install Stump, Busybox, and my purchased Link2SD Plus. However, I hear a lot of talk about TWRP (I had TWRP installed in my old 3VO - it worked great); I've heard good and bad - but, gherkaul and a few others said that it would behave better than CWMT in phones like mine (Boost Mobile). Whomever feels like helping me get my old apps back, and a phone with root freedom - PM me (or, start a 'conversation', in Xenforo-speak) - LW

Upvote 0
exclusive, daffy, blondgod - I had a v7 that got soft-bricked by the v8 OTA. It turned out that CWMT 6.0.4.8 got installed in sd0, which happened due to a corrupted external SD card. Once I get a new SD Card, I want to install Stump, Busybox, and my purchased Link2SD Plus. However, I hear a lot of talk about TWRP (I had TWRP installed in my old 3VO - it worked great); I've heard good and bad - but, gherkaul and a few others said that it would behave better than CWMT in phones like mine (Boost Mobile). Whomever feels like helping me get my old apps back, and a phone with root freedom - PM me (or, start a 'conversation', in Xenforo-speak) - LW

You may of had a corrupt sd card but the recovery wouldn't of been installed to sdcard0. It would of been installed into the recovery partition. Both cwm and twrp install into the same recovery partition. Have you had cwm installed on your phone? Has it worked correctly? If you have had it installed and it failed, twrp will also fail. On the other hand, if cwm has worked, twrp will also work.

gherkaul is right that twrp may be better for you if you need to access and work with files in the recovery. It has a built in file browser. If you have a sdcard installed in the phone, you can 'mount usb' and move files back and forth between you computer and phone's sdcard while in the recovery. Also since the last update, you can fully backup and restore without issue.

What did you need help with? You may not be able to get your 'old apps' back. Just re-install as needed from Google play.

Reactions: DevoutDev
Upvote 0
You may of had a corrupt sd card but the recovery wouldn't of been installed to sdcard0. It would of been installed into the recovery partition. Both cwm and twrp install into the same recovery partition. Have you had cwm installed on your phone? Has it worked correctly? If you have had it installed and it failed, twrp will also fail. On the other hand, if cwm has worked, twrp will also work.

gherkaul is right that twrp may be better for you if you need to access and work with files in the recovery. It has a built in file browser. If you have a sdcard installed in the phone, you can 'mount usb' and move files back and forth between you computer and phone's sdcard while in the recovery. Also since the last update, you can fully backup and restore without issue.

What did you need help with? You may not be able to get your 'old apps' back. Just re-install as needed from Google play.

I could'nt get CWMT to work correctly in v6, v7, or v8. All I know is that I ended up with a 32gB sd card that I can't format, erase, et al. It's a Boost Mobile phone... I just wanted to be able to do what I did with my earlier phones; try new ROMs, kernels, etc. Now I'm unrooted, running v8 stock without root, and frustrated that I could only access CWMT 6.0.4.8 rooted, running v7 via Link2SD Plus, and going through factory reset hell. If anyone has had similar experiences to mine with an LS720, PM (start a conversation, in Xenforo-speak) me with any ideas that may allow me to root with Stump, install Busybox, use SuperSU Pro, use ES File Explorer (or Root Explorer), and possibly have the ability to have a third-party recovery that will work with this Beast Mobile LG F3 - LW

Upvote 0
I could'nt get CWMT to work correctly in v6, v7, or v8. All I know is that I ended up with a 32gB sd card that I can't format, erase, et al. It's a Boost Mobile phone... I just wanted to be able to do what I did with my earlier phones; try new ROMs, kernels, etc. Now I'm unrooted, running v8 stock without root, and frustrated that I could only access CWMT 6.0.4.8 rooted, running v7 via Link2SD Plus, and going through factory reset hell. If anyone has had similar experiences to mine with an LS720, PM (start a conversation, in Xenforo-speak) me with any ideas that may allow me to root with Stump, install Busybox, use SuperSU Pro, use ES File Explorer (or Root Explorer), and possibly have the ability to have a third-party recovery that will work with this Beast Mobile LG F3 - LW

Your going to hate my answer but you need to hear it anyway. Your using a Boost Mobile phone. Unfortunately LG made all of the kernels and recoveries different for all of the variants of this phone. What works for Virgin Mobile will not work on Boost Mobile. You knew this before you started.

The stuff we're putting out in this forum is basically for the Virgin Mobile variant. The only option I can suggest is to send your phone to one of us so we can have a look at it. Is that something your willing to do? I know your stuck, It sucks.

Upvote 0
I still haven't run the OTA (V8) update, and before I do I just wanted to try to give a fuller accounting of what I've done so far...

1. I was on V7 and rooted

2. While still rooted I installed the following:
BusyBoxFree
AParted
Link2SD
Root Browser
SManager
File Manager - (I have it but don't remember exacty when it was installed)

3. I UNrooted using SuperSU.

4. I uninstalled some apps* (none of the above listed - those are all still on the phone), and I downloaded/installed a few new apps from the Play store (a couple of streaming radio apps) which worked fine. But now I'm getting out of memory errors if I try to download/install anything else new from the Play store - just like before I rooted and installed the Link2SD - which seems expected if Link2SD is no longer functioning because I've UNrooted.

So I'm just wondering...
1. Is there enough memory on the phone to install the OTA update now?
2. Is the OS placed in a separate memory partition from the apps?
3. Should I uninstall anything before running the OTA update?

*the stuff I uninstalled was misc stuff downloaded from the Play store such as Polaris Office

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still haven't run the OTA (V8) update, and before I do I just wanted to try to give a fuller accounting of what I've done so far...

1. I was on V7 and rooted

2. While still rooted I installed the following:
BusyBoxFree
AParted
Link2SD
Root Browser
SManager
File Manager - (I have it but don't remember exacty when it was installed)

3. I UNrooted using SuperSU.

4. I uninstalled some apps* (none of the above listed - those are all still on the phone), and I downloaded/installed a few new apps from the Play store (a couple of streaming radio apps) which worked fine. But now I'm getting out of memory errors if I try to download/install anything else new from the Play store - just like before I rooted and installed the Link2SD - which seems expected if Link2SD is no longer functioning because I've UNrooted.

So I'm just wondering...
1. Is there enough memory on the phone to install the OTA update now?
2. Is the OS placed in a separate memory partition from the apps?
3. Should I uninstall anything before running the OTA update?

*the stuff I uninstalled was misc stuff downloaded from the Play store such as Polaris Office

Don't quote me on this but i'm pretty sure that the over the air update is stored in the /cache partition. If not, it's stored in the /fota partition. Both are not the /data partition.

1. I would un-install a few apps before updating. Free at least 150-200 mb to make sure you have enough for the update to be sure.
2. The OS is in a separate partition. It resides in the /system partition. The app partition is the /data partition.
3. I would uninstall a few apps just to make sure.

Upvote 0
I want to help. I understand that there is no boost mobile thread for this phone. I just don't know how to help you.

I have a virgin mobile phone that is not active. Would you want it?
I would be grateful, if I could import the IMEI & MEID from Boost... er, Beast... into it. I don't know what to do. My better half just arrived in Denver, CO to visit her family... another lonely Christmas and New Year for me... on her last trip to Denver, she nearly died from complications that occurred after picking up the H1N1 virus; she left 12/19/2013, and I picked her up at the airport 4/26/2014. She was only 86 lbs. Now, she's a hale and hearty 120; yet, I still worry. I miss her already. Yet, I do have my software-based recording studio, and, that will help me pass the time. I know... what a whiner... but, she nearly died this past year. Worry, I will. Stay in touch - LW

Upvote 0
I would un-install a few apps before updating. Free at least 150-200 mb to make sure you have enough for the update to be sure.

I uninstalled some more apps and it now shows 304 MB free.

What about BusyBox and Link2SD? Should I leave those or uninstall? Does it matter?

I will make sure the battery is at 100% before doing the update. Does it matter if the phone is plugged into the charger or not during the update?

Upvote 0
I ran the update, but I think it didn't take. The phone is fine, it isn't bricked or anything, but I don't think the update actually worked. It got about half way through the progress bar on the update screen and then this sick/dead Android image flashed on the screen for a split second and then the phone rebooted. When I checked about this phone and software version it still says V7.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it didnt take. Have you made any modifications, removed any files from the system folder?
Not to my knowledge. I've been really careful not to just randomly delete stuff that I don't know what is for. To my knowledge, the only stuff I've removed has been stuff I downloaded from the Play store.

I got the update notification again. Should I try running it again?

Upvote 0
I rooted and then I UNrooted using SuperSU before running the update. I have not installed a custom recovery.

I wouldn't run it again. It would fail.

In your situation, you have two options. The first would be to just ignore the update notification. The second would be to install twrp. Then run the update just as you did before.

Once your phone has updated, your recovery will return back to stock. You'll also will need to root your phone again if you choose.

Upvote 0
You are correct. I tried, and it failed again.

Why are we running the stock ROM on this phone? Is there no good custom ROM for this phone?

Is there anyway to just get rid of the system update notifications? Wouldn't I need to re-root before installing TWRP?

Unfortunately the only custom rom for this phone is the cyanogenmod rom. Progress has been slow. All other roms are stock based. I'm currently working on building a device tree for it so we can have other custom roms.

There are ways to disable the notification but I'm unaware as,to how.

You are correct, you will need to re root before installing twrp. Just besure to un root before running the update again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones